WiFi HW recommendations

Hello Everyone,

New to the group but I saw similar posts earlier and hence posting.

I am setting up a 2000 sqft space in Bangalore and I am lost trying to get an optimum WiFi solutions for the space. The space can accommodate a max of 45 people so I am thinking a total of 90 Wifi devices (laptops and phones) will hook on to the network. I intend to put 3 access points, a router and a switch (have about 16 ports of LAN) to run the network. If I can get recommendations on the equipment to use that would be really appreciated.

Also there are some managed WiFi solutions that are available ( http://griggi.com/) but would like to get feedback on the usefulness of such solutions and feedback if anyone is using it.

Thanks
Ramesh

I get no commissions, no payments, for these endorsements. I’ve just been through SO MUCH PAIN getting this right that I want to save others from the journey I’ve been on.

Unifi is hands down the best value on the market today (I included prices below), PLUS the easiest to set up and configure of the commercial-grade options. I’ve been able to teach relatively non-technical teammates and members how to do basic on-premises diagnostics, which is pretty crucial when you’ve got that many people coming through any wifi enabled environment on their own devices of all kinds.

You don’t have to buy through a fancy distributor - you can buy online (Amazon has them available next day shipping in the US, YMMV). There’s no additional software or licensing fees. The closest comparable options (Meraki) cost a lot more per device, PLUS annual fee just for their cloud management software. Unifi has their own (free) cloud management software that you can either run on your own cloud hosting (on a $5-10/month server) OR using the “cloud key” device, which I recommend after recently switching to it from managing the software on AWS.

That’s a lot of wins, and they managed to tick every box.

For the configuration you described (which sounds about right for your space), here’s what I’d do. All of my product links are to US Amazon pages (no affiliate links), but you can search out the same model numbers elsewhere:

• 3x Access points - Unifi AP Pro. $486 USD. These are good for ~30-40 simultaneous devices each. Without knowing your space layout and materials, 3 of these is very likely enough for 90 concurrent devices. These devices are fast, too. There are more hardcore versions that handle more throughput (and cost more $$$), but for coworking usage I’d rather just point high-bandwidth users to plugging into ethernet.
  • **1x Router - **Unifi Security Gateway. $113 USD. There’s a pro version of this, but it’d be overkill for you. We’re running this exact device to support 3x as many people as you’ll ever have on your network and it’s super fast and reliable. Best router I’ve ever owned.
  • 1x Switch for ethernet - Unifi 16 port PoE switch. $298 USD. This switch is managed (I’l get more into that in a second) AND provides Power over Ethernet, which means that your access points won’t need a separate power source. You just plug them into the ethernet, and then the ethernet into the switch. Boom, power.
    *Note: I don’t know how many hard lines you plan to run for your space but you might want to consider the 24 port version of this, considering that you’ll lose 3 ports to your access points and 1 more to the router, bringing you down from 16 to just 12 usable ports before you even get started. 11 ports if you go with the Cloud Key (which you should). Alternatively, it’s easy to start here and add a second switch later. *
  • 1x Unifi Cloud Key. $76 USD. This is basically the “brain” for the whole setup. **
    That’s less than $1000 USD for the most robust network you can possibly install for anywhere near that price point. As you grow, you only need to add switches and access points as needed.

Now, the Cloud Key is the magic, and here’s why: it’s basically a tiny computer that JUST runs the Unifi controller software, and is powered by the PoE on your network. It handles software/firmware updates with a click of a button. And best of all, you can link (for free) to a Unifi cloud account that gives you access to diagnostics, reporting, and even tools to configure and fix network issues from anywhere…including on your mobile phone. It’s amazing.

It all works because all of the access points look back to the Cloud Key controller software for instructions and configuration. The Cloud Key makes real time adjustments to wifi performance based on usage and environment conditions. Basically, with the brain behind the devices, it “just works” better than ANY network I’ve maintained, coworking or otherwise. And when something is wrong (which is going to happen with any network, but is more rare with Unifi than any other setup we’ve tried), the diagnostics tools are great.

The controller also handles things like captive portal and guest networks. It can hook into RADIUS servers for authentication, if you need it. It has robust firewall configuration options if you need it. It does VLANs very easily. It does simple traffic shaping (one check box for improved performance for everybody). And the controller has a robust API for reading stats and configurations, if you want to get fancy and build your own tools. It probably does more than you’ll EVER need it to do, to be honest.

The setup can be a bit of a learning curve if you’re not familiar with networking…but if you are familiar with networking it’s easy to learn. My background is in computer networks so 100% of what I know about Unifi I learned through reading forums and watching youtube videos. If that’s not you, Unifi is a big enough name that you should be able to find a local network consultant who can help you get things set up and potentially offer a monitoring/support service as well.

Hope this helps anybody trying to figure this out for the first time, and anybody frustrated with (or sick of paying out the nose for!) with your network.

-Alex

P.S. Coworking Membership Platforms: has anybody built a direct integration with the Unifi’s captive portal? If you’re interested in doing so, hit me up. I have notes for you :slight_smile:

I’m a huge, huge, huge fan of Unifi: https://unifi-sdn.ubnt.com

···

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Ramesh Agarwal <notag…@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I am setting up a 2000 sqft space in Bangalore and I am lost trying to get an optimum WiFi solutions for the space. The space can accommodate a max of 45 people so I am thinking a total of 90 Wifi devices (laptops and phones) will hook on to the network. I intend to put 3 access points, a router and a switch (have about 16 ports of LAN) to run the network. If I can get recommendations on the equipment to use that would be really appreciated.

Also there are some managed WiFi solutions that are available ( http://griggi.com/) but would like to get feedback on the usefulness of such solutions and feedback if anyone is using it.

Thanks
Ramesh

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Great write-up, Alex, very useful!

We currently have a connection to both their External Splash Page option and their WPA Enterprise mode via RADIUS (https://tinyurl.com/ycclljs6) but I would of course love to hear about those notes :). I’d much rather have a direct connection with their splash page as we do with Mikrotik.

···

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 12:07:43 PM UTC, Ramesh Agarwal wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

Also a huge fan of Unifi - we used it in our two 24,000 sq ft sites - and use about 15 AP-Pro - so you may not need 3 APs depending on shape of space (Too many can make it worse as they interfere with each other / compete for channels with neighbours)

I love it - and often get 300MB on my laptop sat in our space (we have 1000MB = 1GB dedicated leased line)

We started hosting on Amazon Cloud - then moved to the Cloud Key - but have now moved to a hosted solution from a UK distributor - and I think Unifi were going to offer the service themselves too. Just one to consider (CloudKey can be a bit slow to use I found)

We moved our main site to Meraki - which are MUCH more expensive (c4*) - but because of their tools to handle / manage interference with other networks (We were in a very busy building - and recorded over 300 wi-fi networks in a week!)

The traffic shaping / insights are very impressive - although only “needed” if you’re very busy - by which time you can afford to “throw away” your Unifi kit anyway (or save for next site :slight_smile:

We also have got much better at not letting our members bring their own wi-fi unless they really, really need to (And may even stop it) - as the airwaves got really congested

Unifi has changed my life. I do an even simpler setup in my 2,500 ft2 spread over 4 floors. We have just 3 of the unifi AP pros sprinkled around and they go to a PoE switch (off brand) I got for $50 on amazon. I don’t use any of the analytics or dashboard or cloud stuff unless I’m adding another access point. They JUST WORK. Any issues we have with our internet trace back to comcast ALWAYS. The unifi APs never fail. Sometimes I unplug them and replug them every few months just b/c and that seems to keep us humming along.

I just ordered another 3 to add in for our upcoming expansions and I love knowing that I’ll be able to set them up and have them going in about 10 minutes/AP. I am as non-technical as you can get.

Angel

···

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 6:07:43 AM UTC-6, Ramesh Agarwal wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

I should pile on as a UniFi fan too. Want a separate guest network with 1 hour free for member meetings with clients, and an option for daypass users to pay online via Stripe to get access? No problem, that’s built-in. There’s even a phone/tablet app to manage the network, which comes in handy when I forget to turn on our Events WiFi network for special events.

Tying in with Tony B’s post a couple days ago, I just set up UniFi to send an email when a member device connects to the network. Zapier cleans up the email and puts the results in an AirTable-like service. Now I have stats so I have answers to questions like “How many people are here on an average day?” and “What are your busiest/slowest days of the week?” and I don’t have to do manual head counts to get the numbers.

Adding to Alex’s comments, the Security Gateway also has a RADIUS server built-in which you can get access to via the controller or Cloud Key.

Glen Ferguson

Phone: 301-732-5165

Email: [email protected]

Address: 122 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701

···

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

Unifi has changed my life. I do an even simpler setup in my 2,500 ft2 spread over 4 floors. We have just 3 of the unifi AP pros sprinkled around and they go to a PoE switch (off brand) I got for $50 on amazon. I don’t use any of the analytics or dashboard or cloud stuff unless I’m adding another access point. They JUST WORK. Any issues we have with our internet trace back to comcast ALWAYS. The unifi APs never fail. Sometimes I unplug them and replug them every few months just b/c and that seems to keep us humming along.

I just ordered another 3 to add in for our upcoming expansions and I love knowing that I’ll be able to set them up and have them going in about 10 minutes/AP. I am as non-technical as you can get.

Angel

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

OOOOooooo. Can you share how you set up Unifi to send that email?

···

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Glen Ferguson [email protected] wrote:

I should pile on as a UniFi fan too. Want a separate guest network with 1 hour free for member meetings with clients, and an option for daypass users to pay online via Stripe to get access? No problem, that’s built-in. There’s even a phone/tablet app to manage the network, which comes in handy when I forget to turn on our Events WiFi network for special events.

Tying in with Tony B’s post a couple days ago, I just set up UniFi to send an email when a member device connects to the network. Zapier cleans up the email and puts the results in an AirTable-like service. Now I have stats so I have answers to questions like “How many people are here on an average day?” and “What are your busiest/slowest days of the week?” and I don’t have to do manual head counts to get the numbers.

Glen Ferguson

Adding to Alex’s comments, the Security Gateway also has a RADIUS server built-in which you can get access to via the controller or Cloud Key.

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

Angel

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

I’m a fan of both UniFi and Ruckus. At Office Nomads, we use UniFi and at 312 Main we use Ruckus. One key thing with UniFi is to get the PRO access points and run a controller. You can buy one of theirs, or run it on a machine of your own. 99% of the time when I hear complaints about UniFi it’s because they are using the cheaper 2.4ghz only APs with no controller.

···

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Glen Ferguson [email protected] wrote:

Glen Ferguson

Jacob

Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com - (206) 323-6500

Angel

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

If you’re looking for a local contact who can help, Akshay of Airowire Networks. He can be reached at +91 9880-773-484.

···

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 5:07:43 AM UTC-7, Ramesh Agarwal wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

I forgot to mention that I usually find pricing on the Ubiquiti web store (store.ubnt.com) generally beats Amazon.

Alex, you made me actually do some work on a snow day, darn you. (Insert usual disclaimer for neglected website appearance.) Here’s a step-by-step guide: https://itconcierge.co/email-notifications-in-unifi-controller/

Glen Ferguson

···

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM, Michael Williams [email protected] wrote:

If you’re looking for a local contact who can help, Akshay of Airowire Networks. He can be reached at +91 9880-773-484.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

Well that’s cool - I didn’t realize they had such granular control over notifications. That’s awesome.

From the “not yet” is it safe to assume you collecting/linking Mac addresses to members in that other tab manually?

···

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 4:31 PM, Glen Ferguson [email protected] wrote:

I forgot to mention that I usually find pricing on the Ubiquiti web store (store.ubnt.com) generally beats Amazon.

Alex, you made me actually do some work on a snow day, darn you. (Insert usual disclaimer for neglected website appearance.) Here’s a step-by-step guide: https://itconcierge.co/email-notifications-in-unifi-controller/

Glen Ferguson

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

Notifications are still in beta, but I was pretty psyched too to see it in there.

Yeah, I can identify most member devices from the UniFi controller, typically the Clients screen. The most cryptic devices are Android phones and the Windows machines that get names like DESKTOP-xxxxxx. Those I have to track down and ask members if it’s theirs. Making the lookup table was about an hour of copy/paste between apps. Once done, it’s pretty static content. I try to make IDing their devices part of the new member onboarding, since seeing new stuff on the network the same day we have a new member makes it easy.

The devices I don’t have IDed are members’ new phones or meeting attendees and I’ll delete those. Bear in mind I started this on Monday, so there are still rough edges.

Eventually, I’ll turn on the LDAP/RADIUS network so I can get a single member login to network and website tools like meeting room reservations.

Oh, don’t forget to set up a rule/filter to delete the alerts that come to your mailbox, unless you want an extra 80+ emails a day.

Glen Ferguson

···

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM, Alex Hillman [email protected] wrote:

Well that’s cool - I didn’t realize they had such granular control over notifications. That’s awesome.

From the “not yet” is it safe to assume you collecting/linking Mac addresses to members in that other tab manually?

Glen Ferguson

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

We just recently upgraded our ubiquiti access points and have been having some problems with the new software, anyone experiencing the same thing?

···

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

What kind of problems, can you be more specific?

-Alex

···

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 3:05 PM Marnee Chua [email protected] wrote:

We just recently upgraded our ubiquiti access points and have been having some problems with the new software, anyone experiencing the same thing?

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

We run ubiquiti now, looking to move to Meraki though. Prices have come down and they offer a ton more management tools.

However, I second Alex’s question - here to help

···

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Alex Hillman [email protected] wrote:

-Alex

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

David Lundy
563-570-7510

Keep in mind - Meraki has annual licensing fees.

···

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:26 PM, David Lundy [email protected] wrote:

We run ubiquiti now, looking to move to Meraki though. Prices have come down and they offer a ton more management tools.

David Lundy
563-570-7510

-Alex

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

Sent from my U.S. Robotics Pilot 5000

Yes, absolutely. Thats why we went with Ubiquiti, plus the lower price point, when we stared.

Now that we are profitable, I would like the additional features Meraki offers. With our member and door management system, when a member reserves a conference room the Meraki’s will spool up a seperate SSID (network) for that specific conference room user to begin 1/2 hr before the conference and 1/2 after the conference - avoids passing out your primary network info to non-members reserving your conference room and squatters after a conference ends.

P.S. - not a salesman, just a coworking space owner who loves his Proximity management system and their integration.

Let me know if I can answer any questions

···

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Robert Campbell [email protected] wrote:

Keep in mind - Meraki has annual licensing fees.

David Lundy
563-570-7510

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:26 PM, David Lundy [email protected] wrote:

Sent from my U.S. Robotics Pilot 5000

David Lundy
563-570-7510

-Alex

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

To update this, the new controller will control the 2.4 ghz ones now. Woo!

···

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 10:06:48 AM UTC-6, Jacob Sayles wrote:

I’m a fan of both UniFi and Ruckus. At Office Nomads, we use UniFi and at 312 Main we use Ruckus. One key thing with UniFi is to get the PRO access points and run a controller. You can buy one of theirs, or run it on a machine of your own. 99% of the time when I hear complaints about UniFi it’s because they are using the cheaper 2.4ghz only APs with no controller.

Jacob

Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com - (206) 323-6500

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Glen Ferguson [email protected] wrote:

Glen Ferguson

Angel

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh

If you folks are interested, Office R&D (membership relationship management, www.OfficeRnD.com) is working on integrating Ubiquiti/Unifi for credential management on the network. Office R&D integrates with SaltoKS, which I also use, so that when a member signs up for a plan they receive access to the space immediately.

Best,

Trevor

···

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 17:53:17 UTC-4, Glen Ferguson wrote:

Notifications are still in beta, but I was pretty psyched too to see it in there.

Yeah, I can identify most member devices from the UniFi controller, typically the Clients screen. The most cryptic devices are Android phones and the Windows machines that get names like DESKTOP-xxxxxx. Those I have to track down and ask members if it’s theirs. Making the lookup table was about an hour of copy/paste between apps. Once done, it’s pretty static content. I try to make IDing their devices part of the new member onboarding, since seeing new stuff on the network the same day we have a new member makes it easy.

The devices I don’t have IDed are members’ new phones or meeting attendees and I’ll delete those. Bear in mind I started this on Monday, so there are still rough edges.

Eventually, I’ll turn on the LDAP/RADIUS network so I can get a single member login to network and website tools like meeting room reservations.

Oh, don’t forget to set up a rule/filter to delete the alerts that come to your mailbox, unless you want an extra 80+ emails a day.

Glen Ferguson

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM, Alex Hillman [email protected] wrote:

Glen Ferguson

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ramesh