Who's shopping for electronic door locks?

Chui is WAY TOO COOL for my small town and my modest coworking space, but I ordered one anyway, along with the Lockitron. THEORETICALLY, the Chui addresses the major potential weakness of the Lockitron as a stand-alone - what to do if one of your members doesn’t have a phone, or the phone isn’t charged - and also acts as a wireless intercom. (Honestly, I think EVERYONE has a phone, and I don’t see it as much of a weakness - but it’s good to have back-up/redundant systems.)

When our Lockitron/Chui system is set up I will report back to the group with pros and cons.

I am new to the group - thanks much to everyone for taking the time to share experiences and expertise.

Joy! from Jane

···

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:18:03 PM UTC-7, Toby in Boulder wrote:

My recommendation: Chui

Facial recognition door access, for $199. Works with Lockitron.

-Toby

Full disclosure: investor

(+ co-working space owner)

Jane, did you get any idea of shipping time from Lockitron? Their site hasn’t been updated since April and I read that they haven’t yet shipped all Lockitrons to their backers…but some folks on this list seem to have them. Thanks!

···

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 10:31:36 AM UTC-7, Jane Behr wrote:

Chui is WAY TOO COOL for my small town and my modest coworking space, but I ordered one anyway, along with the Lockitron. THEORETICALLY, the Chui addresses the major potential weakness of the Lockitron as a stand-alone - what to do if one of your members doesn’t have a phone, or the phone isn’t charged - and also acts as a wireless intercom. (Honestly, I think EVERYONE has a phone, and I don’t see it as much of a weakness - but it’s good to have back-up/redundant systems.)

When our Lockitron/Chui system is set up I will report back to the group with pros and cons.

I am new to the group - thanks much to everyone for taking the time to share experiences and expertise.

Joy! from Jane

-Toby

Yeah they are working through a lot of manufacturing issues but they are being nice and transparent about it.

On this topic we are talking here at Office Nomads about if we want to continue to develop the lock I built for The Red Victorian this summer. I’d love to see a solid open source solution with a modular hardware design. If anyone is interested in working on this with me let me know.

···

Jacob

Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com - (206) 323-6500

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Jamie Russo [email protected] wrote:

Jane, did you get any idea of shipping time from Lockitron? Their site hasn’t been updated since April and I read that they haven’t yet shipped all Lockitrons to their backers…but some folks on this list seem to have them. Thanks!

Joy! from Jane

-Toby

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Just exchanged emails with someone from Lockitron - originally they said my order would be shipped “in October” but when I went back to the website to check the status, found broken links and couldn’t find my order. They said the website will be fixed “very soon” and all dates have been pushed back but I should receive my order “very soon” - huh. :slight_smile: Only folks who ordered very early - during kickstarter days - have received their orders. My order was placed in early September and I’ll be lucky to get it by the end of November, I think. I will report back to the group when I hear more.

···

On Friday, October 10, 2014 7:05:35 AM UTC-7, Jamie Russo wrote:

Joy! from Jane

-Toby

Thanks Jane and Jacob!

···

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:17:59 PM UTC-7, Jane Behr wrote:

Just exchanged emails with someone from Lockitron - originally they said my order would be shipped “in October” but when I went back to the website to check the status, found broken links and couldn’t find my order. They said the website will be fixed “very soon” and all dates have been pushed back but I should receive my order “very soon” - huh. :slight_smile: Only folks who ordered very early - during kickstarter days - have received their orders. My order was placed in early September and I’ll be lucky to get it by the end of November, I think. I will report back to the group when I hear more.

Joy! from Jane

-Toby

Jacob,

I too am looking for feed back on electronic door locks…Please let me know what you find out…

···

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:09:34 PM UTC-5, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Hello,

The topic of electronic (RFID) door locks has come up a few times and I wanted to revisit it. Who out there now is looking for a solution? Who is keeping an eye out for something cool to come along and interested if one does?

Jacob

There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. Things fall in to a few distinct categories:

1. Traditional Commercial Systems.

These are the big expensive installs with a central panel and all doors on electric strikes. Even “simpler” systems like the ISONAS system we have at ON fall in this category.

1. Commercial → Residential cross over.

These are from home brands like Kwikset and Schlage and replace the deadbolt on most doors. They take a lot of design cues from the traditional systems and for most small installs will work great. They are cheaper but you have to program them at the door.

1. Fancy new “smart” systems.

This is the Lockitron and the August, etc. They use your phone, an app, or your bluetooth ID.

···
  • ) Then there are the roll-your-own systems like the one I built. I’m going to build another one for my home, mostly for fun, and I’m looking in to what it would look like to replace the system we have at ON. The main feature I’m going for is full integration with Nadine, the system we use to run our space.

Jacob

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Cheryl Jaycox [email protected] wrote:

Jacob,

I too am looking for feed back on electronic door locks…Please let me know what you find out…

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:09:34 PM UTC-5, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Hello,

The topic of electronic (RFID) door locks has come up a few times and I wanted to revisit it. Who out there now is looking for a solution? Who is keeping an eye out for something cool to come along and interested if one does?

Jacob

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Lockitron is not working out for us. They’re backed up and are now saying they can’t fulfill our order until after the new year. Even more importantly, our local fire marshal thinks the Lockitron is a TERRIBLE idea. We can’t have our door locked while anyone is inside - egress has to be single motion unlatching of a door lever. Since our occupancy with be under 49, she’s not requiring a crash bar, but we would not pass inspection with a deadbolt system like Lockitron. SO - I guess I’ll use my new Lockitron (if I ever get it) on my door at home. For the coworking space… still trying to figure it out.

Jane

LompocLAUNCHpad.com

···

On Monday, October 20, 2014 2:49:13 PM UTC-7, Jamie Russo wrote:

Thanks Jane and Jacob!

Joy! from Jane

-Toby

One workaround could be posting on the door, “Doors to remain unlocked during business hours” - that’s how many retail stores use fancy glass types of doors without ugly panic bars.
JEROME CHANG

WEST: Santa Monica
1450 2nd Street (@Broadway) | Santa Monica CA 90401
ph: (310) 526-2255

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) | Los Angeles CA 90036
ph: (323) 330-9505

EAST: Downtown
529 S. Broadway, Suite 4000 (@Pershing Square) | Los Angeles CA 90013
ph: (213) 550-2235

···

On Nov 17, 2014, at 6:35 AM, Jane Behr [email protected] wrote:

Lockitron is not working out for us. They’re backed up and are now saying they can’t fulfill our order until after the new year. Even more importantly, our local fire marshal thinks the Lockitron is a TERRIBLE idea. We can’t have our door locked while anyone is inside - egress has to be single motion unlatching of a door lever. Since our occupancy with be under 49, she’s not requiring a crash bar, but we would not pass inspection with a deadbolt system like Lockitron. SO - I guess I’ll use my new Lockitron (if I ever get it) on my door at home. For the coworking space… still trying to figure it out.

Jane

LompocLAUNCHpad.com

On Monday, October 20, 2014 2:49:13 PM UTC-7, Jamie Russo wrote:

Thanks Jane and Jacob!

Joy! from Jane

-Toby

Hi Jacob,
We have standardized on Paxton, and we’re very happy with them. We’re using a battery powered and wifi enabled lock on every office and conference room door. Easy to install without wiring to each door (except outside doors, which are wired). These units have the scanner built into the door handle, so when we leave a place, we can just put the old handles back on and take the Paxton scanner/locks with us. We’ve brought our costs down on these systems to about ⅓ of our original costs. We’ll shortly be tying them into our software, DeskWorks, for automatic posting of charges. Our Center Coordinators now start the day (takes about 5 minutes) to post any charges from the day before for anyone who has a less than full-time plan. Really expands the available market!

Barbara Sprenger

···

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:09:34 PM UTC-7, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Hello,

Jacob

Wow that sounds like a pretty great feature set Barbara. I’ll have to dig in to their hardware. I hadn’t heard of them before. Thank you for the tip! I’d love to integrate something in to Nadine, our software, as well. Let me know how that goes for DeskWorks.

Jacob

···

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Barbara Sprenger [email protected] wrote:

Hi Jacob,
We have standardized on Paxton, and we’re very happy with them. We’re using a battery powered and wifi enabled lock on every office and conference room door. Easy to install without wiring to each door (except outside doors, which are wired). These units have the scanner built into the door handle, so when we leave a place, we can just put the old handles back on and take the Paxton scanner/locks with us. We’ve brought our costs down on these systems to about ⅓ of our original costs. We’ll shortly be tying them into our software, DeskWorks, for automatic posting of charges. Our Center Coordinators now start the day (takes about 5 minutes) to post any charges from the day before for anyone who has a less than full-time plan. Really expands the available market!

Barbara Sprenger

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:09:34 PM UTC-7, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Hello,

Jacob

Will do.
And if you ever want to see DeskWorks, I’m happy to show you!
Barbara Sprenger

pastedGraphic.pdf (33.1 KB)

I was talking to member about this wish list for the door and he has built something similar for his house with a raspberry pi. He would be very interested in developing a project and putting it out to the coworking world based on a common set of specs. He could open-source everything in a package or we could possibly just buy them from him.

My requests were:

Work as a deadbolt

Keypad access

Monitor to see if the door is locked

Have it unlock and lock up at certain times of the day

Edit codes from the web

He is a good developer and loves these types of projects. I’m going to have it create two for Creative Density but I would love to hear your feed and to see if anyone else would like to be involved.

At Workantile we built our own solution using (now obsolete) Maker boards, and our own membership software that I wrote. Since the Maker boards are no longer made, we are putting together a project to replace them with Raspberry Pi units (what’s the plural of Raspberry Pi, anyway? Raspberry Pis doesn’t look right).

Our solution uses rfid fobs issued to each member, with an rfid scanner connected to a Maker board at each door. The member holds up the rfid fob up to the scanner. The Maker board sends an HTTP GET request which includes the rfid serial number to the membership software, which looks up the serial number and sends an OK response if the serial number belongs to a current member, or an ERROR response if it does not. If an OK response is received, the Maker board releases the strike plate on the door so the member can open it.

Once we get the Raspberry Pi solution working, we plan on open sourcing everything including the code running on the Pi and the Rails app that is our membership software. The Rails app is probably too specific to Workantile for people to use as is, but it could help someone get started if they were looking for a custom solution for their own community.

···

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

I was talking to member about this wish list for the door and he has built something similar for his house with a raspberry pi. He would be very interested in developing a project and putting it out to the coworking world based on a common set of specs. He could open-source everything in a package or we could possibly just buy them from him.

My requests were:

Work as a deadbolt

Keypad access

Monitor to see if the door is locked

Have it unlock and lock up at certain times of the day

Edit codes from the web

He is a good developer and loves these types of projects. I’m going to have it create two for Creative Density but I would love to hear your feed and to see if anyone else would like to be involved.

twb
member, Workantile
@twbrandt

Did you get your hands on a Goji? I just saw the video and pricing. Seems like it would be a good fit for a coworking space.

···

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 7:52:46 PM UTC-5, Martin wrote:

I’m really anxious to get my hands on a Goji and see how we can replace the biometric sensor we now have for access control. Its too bad they aren’t shipping until Nov.

http://www.gojiaccess.com

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:09:34 PM UTC-3, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Hello,

Jacob

We’ve standardized on a Paxton RFID door lock system. We can get RFID scanner and door lock built into a battery powered, WiFi handle. If we leave, we just put the old door lock back on, and take the door lock with us. We use one on every office and conference room door, along with entrance doors. We’ve tested tying this into our cowork management software, but the final on that is a little way out. We’ve been able to bring the price down to about a third of our original system — and we’re really happy with the whole setup! It enables us to much more accurately track usage without a lot of hassle.

Barbara Sprenger

pastedGraphic.pdf (33.1 KB)

Have any of you heard about or tested the Cal-Royal rs2000 electronic lock?

http://www.gokeyless.com/product/2660/2/cal-royal-rs2000-electronic-phone-lock
http://www.cal-royal.com/product.php?p=138

It seems pretty versatile and purchasing RFID keys on Amazon is pretty cheap.

We have gone with Schlage Connect Deadbolt with a door sensor and are very happy with it for a smaller space of 55 members. It does have a limit of 30 codes but we just double people up. The deadbolt, matching handle, door sensor, and hub ran for $375 without any monthly fees.

I have it working with the Smart Things Hub that recently just updated their product and I have the older version. It was easy to connect it to their app and I was up and running in an hour or so. I like it because I easy give access to other members when they watch over the space while I’m traveling or have it automatically to auto lock after someone leaves after a certain time, for us at 5:30 when we ‘close.’

Hi Nicole,
This looked interesting, so we called the manufacturer. They’re coming out with a new version next year. This one doesn’t quite make it, at least for our application. You have to download new member access numbers separately to each door lock through the app on your phone. There’s no wifi access yet, which would let you just program the system all together. Only 127 access codes per lock — we rarely have less than 200 active members. No way to open the doors remotely.

We use Paxton locks. They’re battery-powered and wifi-enables. We put them on every office, conference room and entry door, so we can track usage 24/7 — helps a lot with making a center sustainable so you can maximize usage and revenue. (And we can take them with us when we leave a space!) They brought cost down a lot (they were about 15% of other systems), but now price is going up so we’re looking around.
Barbara Sprenger

[email protected]

www.thesatelliteinc.com

831-222-2101

···

On Sep 15, 2015, at 9:23 PM, Nicole Skorka - Sunnyside Station, Denver, CO, USA [email protected] wrote:

Have any of you heard about or tested the Cal-Royal rs2000 electronic lock?

http://www.gokeyless.com/product/2660/2/cal-royal-rs2000-electronic-phone-lock
http://www.cal-royal.com/product.php?p=138

It seems pretty versatile and purchasing RFID keys on Amazon is pretty cheap.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/LhlCVViGlfY/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

After looking at hard keys, RFID cards, schlagelock system (looks really good as well btw) we are going with KISI door systems. KISI is an app on the members phone, and is therefore the key. See will check back in to let you know how it works in real time. But I will say one of the founders got on the phone and performed a one-on-one demo with us. Additionally it doesn’t hurt that Nexudus, our back end Coworking management software is linked to this key system.

Shane

···

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 5:09:34 PM UTC-4, Jacob Sayles wrote:

Hello,

Jacob