Who has agreements w/ outside groups?

I’ve been scouring the group archives but I can’t find the right search terms, so time for a new question.

Who has an arrangement/agreement with an outside group (meetups, organizations, non-profits, etc.) to use your space for recurring meetings? And can you share some details (you provide x, they provide y)?

Background for those that are interested:

We’ve been hosting several meetup groups for some time now as well as another group that is a non-profit organization for designers/graphic artists. This group charges its members dues and at least one of their meetings each month has a token $5 charge for non-members.

The current President of the group is a member of Cowork Frederick, so holding their meetings has been a perk that was tied to her membership. She wisely thinks that something should be in place that doesn’t tie this to a member, but to the organization, so there’s stability and an agreement in place when a new President takes over.

We’re working out the terms, and there’s some resistance from a few people on their board. I’ve offered a viable and hugely discounted rate, but the pushback is along the lines that I should let them meet here for free in exchange for “exposure.” (Right now, every freelancer reading this is either laughing or groaning). In the two years we’ve been doing this, we’ve gained zero new members from them, so that’s not helping us any.

If you have any sort of arrangement with a group to meet at your space, could you share some details of the terms? What are you doing for them and what are they doing for you?

Glen Ferguson

Phone: 301-732-5165

Email: [email protected]

Address: 122 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701

Hi Glen!

The sad reality is that there are lots of people who just don’t value space. The only way you can get people to value YOUR space is by setting some clear boundaries and sticking to them.

When you’re just getting started and hungry for exposure, it makes sense to host lots of free events. But it doesn’t last. The space costs money, wear and tear costs money, and the time and energy that has to be put into coordinating, setting up, and cleaning up (ugh, garbage juice) must be valued or it something is going to go wrong eventually (that is, someone 's going to quit, or you’re going to burn out).

You WANT your space to be teeming with events all the time, but it has to be done in a way that feeds back to you.

At New Work City, we worked out several arrangements. YMMV based on the nature of your facility, but here’s a rough outline of some of the things we did:

Non-member rental: we rent out use of our event space to people whose events are complimentary to our membership for around $100/hour, plus additional fees for things like catering or use of our fancy projector. One of our team staffs the event to ensure it all goes well.

Member rental: a member can rent the space at a discount, provided they’ve been trained in how to set up, break down, and lock up. If they fail to turn the place back into a pristine coworking space by daybreak, they don’t get to do an event again. (You can be nice but firm about this; any rational person will understand.)

The hardest part about this for us was that our event space was never that easy to delegate. The AV setup was complicated and our supplies were stashed in nooks and crannies, so only we knew where to find a lot of things.

If you plan your event space to be very easy to train someone else to run, you’ll cut down drastically on your own labor and cost.

Sponsored space: We ran a program for a while where we hosted a selected group of Meetup groups for free, underwritten by sponsors. The sponsors got visibility to the members of all of the Meetup groups, which was compelling to them because they didn’t have to work deals with each group.

It worked pretty well for a good run. We didn’t keep it up because finding and maintaining sponsor relationships wasn’t our strong point and coordinating the Meetups was pretty labor intensive and not worth what we were pulling in.

That said, I think it’s a model that works if you’re willing to commit to it and can execute it better than we did.

Revenue share: This is maybe the easiest thing to get everyone to say yes to. If it’s a typically free event, ask that they charge each attendee $10 to attend, and you’ll pocket all of that. In this case, there’s no money out of the pocket of the organizer, so they have no risk, but you still get to gain something by hosting, and you have an incentive to help them promote and make the event a success.

All this being said, in the 6+ years I hosted events at New Work City I can’t say I ever found a model that felt totally right for me. I think we came close a few times, and ultimately am glad we did run events in the space as it was a helpful additional revenue stream, did increase our exposure, and most importantly accounted for a significant portion of the impact we had.

Let us know how it goes!

Tony Bacigalupo

···

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Glen Ferguson [email protected] wrote:

I’ve been scouring the group archives but I can’t find the right search terms, so time for a new question.

Who has an arrangement/agreement with an outside group (meetups, organizations, non-profits, etc.) to use your space for recurring meetings? And can you share some details (you provide x, they provide y)?

Background for those that are interested:

We’ve been hosting several meetup groups for some time now as well as another group that is a non-profit organization for designers/graphic artists. This group charges its members dues and at least one of their meetings each month has a token $5 charge for non-members.

The current President of the group is a member of Cowork Frederick, so holding their meetings has been a perk that was tied to her membership. She wisely thinks that something should be in place that doesn’t tie this to a member, but to the organization, so there’s stability and an agreement in place when a new President takes over.

We’re working out the terms, and there’s some resistance from a few people on their board. I’ve offered a viable and hugely discounted rate, but the pushback is along the lines that I should let them meet here for free in exchange for “exposure.” (Right now, every freelancer reading this is either laughing or groaning). In the two years we’ve been doing this, we’ve gained zero new members from them, so that’s not helping us any.

Glen Ferguson

If you have any sort of arrangement with a group to meet at your space, could you share some details of the terms? What are you doing for them and what are they doing for you?

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Glen, I can totally relate to what Tony wrote about costs and valuing a place. At Collective Agency, we started out with a no charge option, and that worked great until many unintented consequences happened.

I'm very happy to rent out conference rooms for meetups and user groups. Members get 3 hours per day in conference rooms. Non-members pay. Event space rental is always paid, for up to 45 or up to 125 people, and only after hours.

I do not think groups or boards or companies can be responsible for an event. I think individuals can be responsible. If one person isn't responsible for something, no one is responsible, is a belief I have. But individuals can work together, and responsible decisive responsive leaders, and setting assertive limits, and systems and processes, is the best.

Alex Linsker, Collective Agency, Portland Oregon

Thanks Tony & Alex, and thanks for some new ideas I can offer. I’ll see how they go over.

Glen Ferguson

···

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Alex Linsker [email protected] wrote:

Hi Glen, I can totally relate to what Tony wrote about costs and valuing a place. At Collective Agency, we started out with a no charge option, and that worked great until many unintented consequences happened.

I’m very happy to rent out conference rooms for meetups and user groups. Members get 3 hours per day in conference rooms. Non-members pay. Event space rental is always paid, for up to 45 or up to 125 people, and only after hours.

I do not think groups or boards or companies can be responsible for an event. I think individuals can be responsible. If one person isn’t responsible for something, no one is responsible, is a belief I have. But individuals can work together, and responsible decisive responsive leaders, and setting assertive limits, and systems and processes, is the best.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Do any of you have a simple “agreement” or “contract” that you use for these sort of events? I would like to have something in writing with the ONE organizer “just in case”… So far all of our events have been agreed on verbally, but I think we need to put some expectations / consequences etc… in writing so we are all on the same page.

Any samples appreciated!!!

Chandler

Chandler Gray

The CoWork Factory

277 W San Antonio

New Braunfels, TX 78130

830.214.2990 w

830-743-9292 c

www.CoWorkFactoryNB.com

www.linkedin.com/in/CoWorkFactoryNB

···

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 2:43:13 PM UTC-5, Glen Ferguson wrote:

Thanks Tony & Alex, and thanks for some new ideas I can offer. I’ll see how they go over.

Glen Ferguson

I’m very happy to rent out conference rooms for meetups and user groups. Members get 3 hours per day in conference rooms. Non-members pay. Event space rental is always paid, for up to 45 or up to 125 people, and only after hours.

I do not think groups or boards or companies can be responsible for an event. I think individuals can be responsible. If one person isn’t responsible for something, no one is responsible, is a belief I have. But individuals can work together, and responsible decisive responsive leaders, and setting assertive limits, and systems and processes, is the best.

Hi Glen,

Just to jump in here, when we first opened we had a number of large established meetups contact us about using the space for free - we heard the same phrase over and over again about how we would gain exposure etc. however, we quickly worked out that this simply wasn’t true and I later discovered that some of these same networks had paid venues in the past and also had venue sponsorship coming through. After that we decided no free event space - our members receive up to 50% room hire discount and we quickly found that there were groups and individuals who are happy to pay, and who value your space.

That been said about six months ago we decided to take another look at this approach, our front room area was being used more and more as a meeting space by our members and we also had some established not for profits booking space with us. As a CiC we decided to create a ‘Friends of the Guild’ membership where we invited 20 not for profits to become members, we didn’t charge and they got access to our front space where they could meet a guest for free and 50% room hire discount. Of the 20 invited about half took up the offer and we now see many of them using the front space, which helps create a buzz in there, we also noticed more importantly that they were booking our charged rooms more and more as they felt encouraged, supported and a certain amount of loyalty in doing so.

We did check and this is something that our members supported, in fact they recently suggested widening the offer to students.

In regards to meetups and networks we have a policy where if they are ran by one of our members then they can use the front space for free - no staffing is provided and a member needs to be on site at anyone time. Again as a result we have noticed an increase in bookings from those attending.

Hope that helps.

Tatjana

···

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:43:13 PM UTC+1, Glen Ferguson wrote:

Glen Ferguson

Thanks Tatjana,

The question of non-profits has come up before. There’s an inordinate amount of them in our smallish city, over 430 at last count. I think your “Friends of” idea could work well and is a natural evolution of what our early brainstorming conversations were proposing. You certainly have helped that conversation along.

Glen Ferguson

···

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 4:28 AM, TatjanaRose [email protected] wrote:

Hi Glen,

Just to jump in here, when we first opened we had a number of large established meetups contact us about using the space for free - we heard the same phrase over and over again about how we would gain exposure etc. however, we quickly worked out that this simply wasn’t true and I later discovered that some of these same networks had paid venues in the past and also had venue sponsorship coming through. After that we decided no free event space - our members receive up to 50% room hire discount and we quickly found that there were groups and individuals who are happy to pay, and who value your space.

That been said about six months ago we decided to take another look at this approach, our front room area was being used more and more as a meeting space by our members and we also had some established not for profits booking space with us. As a CiC we decided to create a ‘Friends of the Guild’ membership where we invited 20 not for profits to become members, we didn’t charge and they got access to our front space where they could meet a guest for free and 50% room hire discount. Of the 20 invited about half took up the offer and we now see many of them using the front space, which helps create a buzz in there, we also noticed more importantly that they were booking our charged rooms more and more as they felt encouraged, supported and a certain amount of loyalty in doing so.

We did check and this is something that our members supported, in fact they recently suggested widening the offer to students.

In regards to meetups and networks we have a policy where if they are ran by one of our members then they can use the front space for free - no staffing is provided and a member needs to be on site at anyone time. Again as a result we have noticed an increase in bookings from those attending.

Hope that helps.

Tatjana

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:43:13 PM UTC+1, Glen Ferguson wrote:

Glen Ferguson

Chandler, I would like to see an actual rental agreement if you ever got one together. I am just setting up my space for event rental. Any help by anyone is much appreciated!

Thanks!

···

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 5:38:52 PM UTC-4, Chandler Gray wrote:

Do any of you have a simple “agreement” or “contract” that you use for these sort of events? I would like to have something in writing with the ONE organizer “just in case”… So far all of our events have been agreed on verbally, but I think we need to put some expectations / consequences etc… in writing so we are all on the same page.

Any samples appreciated!!!

Chandler

Chandler Gray

The CoWork Factory

277 W San Antonio

New Braunfels, TX 78130

830.214.2990 w

830-743-9292 c

www.CoWorkFactoryNB.com

www.linkedin.com/in/CoWorkFactoryNB

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 2:43:13 PM UTC-5, Glen Ferguson wrote:

Glen Ferguson