What's your bandwidth?

Super new to this and would appreciate some advice. I’m opening up a small space with a capacity of 30 people, including laptops and phones I expect around 60-70 devices at full capacity.I expect to have our CCTV, entry system, POS and printer hooked up to the network at all times.

I estimate 90+% of our users to be of the drop-in type, similar to those who work from your local coffee shop or Starbucks. The remaining minority of users will have more demanding needs in terms of their internet speeds.

I’m planning on getting an uncontended leased line, with symmetrical speeds of 100mbs on a 100mb circuit and 1 UniFi AP. Do you think this will be sufficient? My research is telling me it’s everything ranging from complete overkill to being insufficient (target of 5mbs per person)??

Please also sure your bandwidth and no. of users for comparison.

Many thanks!

In my experience, 100 mbs up and down should be ample for most users. 30 people with ~2ish devices each should be fine.

We have 150 down/120 up for over 150 users and never run into bandwidth issues, even when lots of people are streaming videos, downloading large files, doing big dropbox syncs, etc. Actual real world usage in our 150 person space shows that that it’s a near-zero occurrence that more than 1-5 people are large bandwidh users at the same time. At this moment as I write this email, 6 people are using more than 1 meg per second.

That said, even with the exact same setup we used to have major issues with our old Comcast service, their non-fiber upload speeds are limited and more importantly, when you “fill” the upload pipe it can do anything from slow the download connection to crash the modem. Go figure. Comcast “business class” is pretty terrible. Avoid at all costs.

For the rest of your infrastructure - I’d plan for more than one Unifi AP. I’ve got a super detailed outline of our Unifi setup in this other thread on the google group. These day’s I’d recommend going with the AP AC Pro. They’re awesome.

That said, every environment is different, but we start to see performance degradation when there is more than 30-40 devices on a single AP. Two should be good, and help you spread coverage across the space. And make sure you follow the mounting instructions!

Alex

This is really good information.

I’m opening my coworking space in October, and I also have a complete Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Pro system for my members.

I’m running on Bell Canada fiber at 150Mb down, 50Mb up, and will likely have no more than 20 users on-site at any given time.

Thanks for this info - very, very helpful.

Best,

Trevor

···

On 18 September 2018 at 16:21, Alex Hillman [email protected] wrote:

In my experience, 100 mbs up and down should be ample for most users. 30 people with ~2ish devices each should be fine.

We have 150 down/120 up for over 150 users and never run into bandwidth issues, even when lots of people are streaming videos, downloading large files, doing big dropbox syncs, etc. Actual real world usage in our 150 person space shows that that it’s a near-zero occurrence that more than 1-5 people are large bandwidh users at the same time. At this moment as I write this email, 6 people are using more than 1 meg per second.

That said, even with the exact same setup we used to have major issues with our old Comcast service, their non-fiber upload speeds are limited and more importantly, when you “fill” the upload pipe it can do anything from slow the download connection to crash the modem. Go figure. Comcast “business class” is pretty terrible. Avoid at all costs.

For the rest of your infrastructure - I’d plan for more than one Unifi AP. I’ve got a super detailed outline of our Unifi setup in this other thread on the google group. These day’s I’d recommend going with the AP AC Pro. They’re awesome.

That said, every environment is different, but we start to see performance degradation when there is more than 30-40 devices on a single AP. Two should be good, and help you spread coverage across the space. And make sure you follow the mounting instructions!

Alex

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 2:26 PM [email protected] wrote:

Super new to this and would appreciate some advice. I’m opening up a small space with a capacity of 30 people, including laptops and phones I expect around 60-70 devices at full capacity.I expect to have our CCTV, entry system, POS and printer hooked up to the network at all times.

I estimate 90+% of our users to be of the drop-in type, similar to those who work from your local coffee shop or Starbucks. The remaining minority of users will have more demanding needs in terms of their internet speeds.

I’m planning on getting an uncontended leased line, with symmetrical speeds of 100mbs on a 100mb circuit and 1 UniFi AP. Do you think this will be sufficient? My research is telling me it’s everything ranging from complete overkill to being insufficient (target of 5mbs per person)??

Many thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Trevor Townsend

Aylmer, Quebec
CANADA

Alex - what a goldmine of information and insight. It’s so much more practical to hear from actual operators who understand the clientele and with experience of running spaces. Thank you very much!

Unifi swtich - our ISP will be providing enterprise class Cisco or Huawei routers, will these be compatible with this switch?

Uifi controller - impressive list of functionalities but does it also provide individual user access from the APs? not sure what the technical term is but I’m looking for a solution that allows members to login to the wireless network with their own individual login and password credentials over the same network, as opposed to everyone given the same password to login. Furthermore, does the controller allow for the creation of a captive portal, say on a Guest wireless network?

Trevor - thanks for sharing! Are you concerned with 50mb up being insufficient, or do you envision the use case for the majority of members not requiring extra bandwidth?

···

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 21:21:56 UTC+1, Alex Hillman wrote:

Alex

Many thanks!

Hi,
We have a big space (500 people / c.1000 devices on a busy day) with 1000mb up / 1000mb down

We never have bandwidth issues - and rarely go over 300mb

Where we have had problems is interference - from neighbours - and from things like wi-fi printers and tenant APs (we try and discourage both now)

We used and love Unifi too - I’d definitely get a pro/nano though - and we have it hosted to have one less moving part (we use a UK company broadbandbuyer)

Depending on shape of your space I would think about two APs for 70 devices - and try and cable in heavy users such as CCTV - to save airwaves more than actual bandwidth - or one of their bigger APs (HD/SHD) if it’s a compact space

I would also keep an eye on heavy users (normally 1 or 2 who use much more) and suggest they go wired - so they (and everyone else) get best connection

We moved one site from Unifi to Meraki (about 5x the price!) - but main thing we gained was understanding of problem - which was interference - I believe the Unifi SHD AP gives you monitoring - so worth considering. We will have one SHD in our reception, an HD in our event spaces - but then nanos for rest (about 18 APs across 29,000 sq ft / 6 floors)

We also use their switches / USG firewall - and love the way it all “just works” - with POE switches to power APs & CCTV to reduce cable clutter

You may still get some issues with VOIP etc - any glitch can take out a call

Hope that helps

Tom

Hi,

No, I’m not too concerned with the 50Mb up at the moment - I’ll be monitoring this and talking with members and will bump up if needed.

It’s a small space, so not likely to have more than 15-20 concurrent users.

Cheers,

Trevor

···

On 19 September 2018 at 04:29, [email protected] wrote:

Alex - what a goldmine of information and insight. It’s so much more practical to hear from actual operators who understand the clientele and with experience of running spaces. Thank you very much!

Unifi swtich - our ISP will be providing enterprise class Cisco or Huawei routers, will these be compatible with this switch?

Uifi controller - impressive list of functionalities but does it also provide individual user access from the APs? not sure what the technical term is but I’m looking for a solution that allows members to login to the wireless network with their own individual login and password credentials over the same network, as opposed to everyone given the same password to login. Furthermore, does the controller allow for the creation of a captive portal, say on a Guest wireless network?

Trevor - thanks for sharing! Are you concerned with 50mb up being insufficient, or do you envision the use case for the majority of members not requiring extra bandwidth?

Alex

Many thanks!

Trevor Townsend

Aylmer, Quebec
CANADA

Here is a link that discusses individual user access setup on the Unifi. Bottom line it can be done but it requires you setup a Radius database with WPA-Enterprise

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/How-to-implement-a-quot-one-password-per-user-quot-policy/td-p/1587623

The unifi does allow a captive portal for guest wireless network. I have our guest wireless setup with their facebook integration. Folks can get on the wireless for free after they check into our site with their facebook account.

I don’t see any reason why your unifi switch won’t be compatible with any router. Also you don’t have to use the unifi switches. I got a less expensive POE switch for my unifi AP’s that work fine. You just have to make sure the POE switch you get is compatible with the type of POE used by the unifi ap’s you purchase.

best,

Michael

···

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 8:17 AM [email protected] wrote:

Alex

Many thanks!

We have been happy with 150 mbps of service. We often get 70 down and we don’t get any complaints.

We get complaints when there is something wrong with the ISP in general.

Don’t stress too much about the speeds. You’ll see plenty of spaces advertise they have gig internet. That’s cool, but it’s often not needed if you are running a smaller space with less than 40 people at a time.

I agree.

For all the demands and claims for needing a ton of bandwidth, we have 250/250 of lit fiber in our Santa Monica location and no more than 20-30% is ever in use.

JEROME CHANG
talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

WEST: Santa Monica | 1450 2nd St (@Broadway)

(@Main St)

**CENTRAL: Culver City | 9415 Culver Blvd ******

(@Pershing Sq)

EAST: DTLA | 529 S. Broadway, Ste 400 ****

···

On Sep 20, 2018, at 11:38 AM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

We have been happy with 150 mbps of service. We often get 70 down and we don’t get any complaints.

We get complaints when there is something wrong with the ISP in general.

Don’t stress too much about the speeds. You’ll see plenty of spaces advertise they have gig internet. That’s cool, but it’s often not needed if you are running a smaller space with less than 40 people at a time.