What were your initial build-out costs?

Hey All,

I’ve been developing my plan for a new coworking space for about six months now and finally reached the point of opening negotiations with landlords this week. Some have already offered to throw in tenant improvement dollars to help with my build-out, which prompted me to double-check my build-out estimates with a local architect who understands the type of space I want to create. I asked him what I should budget for the build-out of a 6,000 sq ft space - bearing in mind that I’m not planning anything opulent - and he estimated (by rule of thumb) $55/sqft. If your eyes are popping out of your head right now, we’re on the same page, because that would amount to $330,000!!! So my question is…

WHAT DID EACH OF YOU BUDGET AND/OR ACTUALLY SPEND ON YOUR INITIAL BUILD-OUT? (in total or per sq ft, bearing in mind that build-out does not include furnishings or equipment)

I realize answers will vary a lot based on prior use of the space or the condition it was in when you found it. Most of the spaces I’m considering would be delivered as “warm shells,” meaning one big empty space with utilities (water, power, HVAC) piped in. So while I’d love to hear from as many of you who are open to sharing, I’d especially like to hear from anyone who started with a warm shell of similar size. Thanks in advance!

Josh Rencher

Founder, Ironfire LLC

http://ironfire.co | @ironfireLB

Long Beach, CA

We put a new coat of paint on the walls. ~ $1/sq ft.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 15, 2015, at 5:06 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Hey All,

I’ve been developing my plan for a new coworking space for about six months now and finally reached the point of opening negotiations with landlords this week. Some have already offered to throw in tenant improvement dollars to help with my build-out, which prompted me to double-check my build-out estimates with a local architect who understands the type of space I want to create. I asked him what I should budget for the build-out of a 6,000 sq ft space - bearing in mind that I’m not planning anything opulent - and he estimated (by rule of thumb) $55/sqft. If your eyes are popping out of your head right now, we’re on the same page, because that would amount to $330,000!!! So my question is…

WHAT DID EACH OF YOU BUDGET AND/OR ACTUALLY SPEND ON YOUR INITIAL BUILD-OUT? (in total or per sq ft, bearing in mind that build-out does not include furnishings or equipment)

I realize answers will vary a lot based on prior use of the space or the condition it was in when you found it. Most of the spaces I’m considering would be delivered as “warm shells,” meaning one big empty space with utilities (water, power, HVAC) piped in. So while I’d love to hear from as many of you who are open to sharing, I’d especially like to hear from anyone who started with a warm shell of similar size. Thanks in advance!

Josh Rencher

Founder, Ironfire LLC

Long Beach, CA

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

We had a brand new building complete with paint, so it was just furniture and equipment: $30,000

Hi Josh,

About $8.30 / Sq. ft

I think we met at GCUCUSA

~ Tabari

···

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 8:28:52 AM UTC-7, [email protected] wrote:

Hey All,

Josh Rencher

Founder, Ironfire LLC

Long Beach, CA

I budgeted $0-$5,000 and needed to spend $0 on buildout. Our costs (in this order) are: staff, rent, contractors (including utilities), equipment, office supplies. That supports the values that members have for here.

For Collective Agency we chose a place that already had a history and a feel, and then we modified it. Buildouts of $10,000 or $30,000 might happen in the future, but aren’t needed.

Alex Linsker, Collective Agency, Portland Oregon http://collectiveagency.co

···

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 8:28:52 AM UTC-7, [email protected] wrote:

Hey All,

Josh Rencher

Founder, Ironfire LLC

Long Beach, CA

Thanks for your answers so far, and congrats on keeping your build-out costs low. I wish I were as fortunate!

Tabari… yes, we did meet and chat at GCUC. Hope all is well at Mesh in Bakersfield!

JOSH