What king of certificate or diploma as a coworking owner

I wonder what kind of skills and diploma or certificate you must have as a coworking owner.
I need to study and have one in order to be credible as my job title.

I found some with community manager but it’s for social or virtual. Is there any training to become a real life community manager (welcome members, share ideas, planning events…)

You need a PhD from the school of hard knocks.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2017, at 8:25 PM, steve suard [email protected] wrote:

I wonder what kind of skills and diploma or certificate you must have as a coworking owner.

Claban@phillynews

I found some with community manager but it’s for social or virtual. Is there any training to become a real life community manager (welcome members, share ideas, planning events…)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Randy ain’t wrong :slight_smile:

I’ve met owners with backgrounds and experience from almost every industry. I have seen almost no correlation that lends itself to any one industry or background. When you’re the owner, nobody’s checking your diploma.

Steve, are you trying to get hired or trying to start something?

Alex

···

On Nov 25, 2017, 8:50 PM -0500, Randy Zauhar <[email protected]>, wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2017, at 8:25 PM, steve suard <[email protected]> wrote:

> I wonder what kind of skills and diploma or certificate you must have as a coworking owner.
> I need to study and have one in order to be credible as my job title.
>
Claban@phillynews
> I found some with community manager but it's for social or virtual. Is there any training to become a real life community manager (welcome members, share ideas, planning events...)
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.

Of course nobody ask a diploma nor you need one to open a coworking space
in the U.S, Alex, I'm the owner of a coworking space but as a french
coworking company and France is special, they look what diploma, training
certificate... you have in order to trust you. Also when you try to hire
someone I've check on classified ads or coworking site they ask for
community manager. So tha't the reason why I'm asking it, I need to have a
certificate at least.
I couldn't find one that is not related to social media like FB, g+... Kind
of ridiculous how we french are with the papers stuff (certificate,
diplomas...). I talk with many people and they always ask me for that.

On my business card I've add Comunity Manager not founder... because I want
to be available to all members. I'm currently taking online courses for
MBA, Leadership and Public speaking to improve my skills as someone that
comes from the web design & marketing industry.

I'm very confident and have no issues being a coworking manager, all is
fine for me because of my experience in communication and public relation
and marketing but still want to have a certificate or diploma for coworking
owner because of French culture about business.

So what usually do you ask when you hire an employee or any other advices?

···

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 4:04:29 PM UTC-10, Alex Hillman wrote:

I’ve met owners with backgrounds and experience from almost every
industry. I have seen almost no correlation that lends itself to any one
industry or background. When you’re the owner, nobody’s checking your
diploma.

Alex

On Nov 25, 2017, 8:50 PM -0500, Randy Zauhar <zau...@gmail.com > <javascript:>>, wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2017, at 8:25 PM, steve suard <busi...@gmail.com > <javascript:>> wrote:

I wonder what kind of skills and diploma or certificate you must have as a
coworking owner.

Claban@phillynews

I found some with community manager but it's for social or virtual. Is
there any training to become a real life community manager (welcome
members, share ideas, planning events...)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to cowork...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.

Hey Steve - there are two experienced french coworking founders who replied to my tweet here offering to help you :slight_smile:

Both of them have successfully built credibility without certifications or degrees in the field…and they’ve even attracted the attention of local government. So they’re doing something right among the French communities they’re a part of!

Definitely reach out to them to find out how they’ve learned to navigate french culture and build thriving coworking communities. Good luck!

-Alex

···

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 2:10 AM, steve suard [email protected] wrote:

Of course nobody ask a diploma nor you need one to open a coworking space in the U.S, Alex, I’m the owner of a coworking space but as a french coworking company and France is special, they look what diploma, training certificate… you have in order to trust you. Also when you try to hire someone I’ve check on classified ads or coworking site they ask for community manager. So tha’t the reason why I’m asking it, I need to have a certificate at least.
I couldn’t find one that is not related to social media like FB, g+… Kind of ridiculous how we french are with the papers stuff (certificate, diplomas…). I talk with many people and they always ask me for that.

On my business card I’ve add Comunity Manager not founder… because I want to be available to all members. I’m currently taking online courses for MBA, Leadership and Public speaking to improve my skills as someone that comes from the web design & marketing industry.

I’m very confident and have no issues being a coworking manager, all is fine for me because of my experience in communication and public relation and marketing but still want to have a certificate or diploma for coworking owner because of French culture about business.

So what usually do you ask when you hire an employee or any other advices?

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 4:04:29 PM UTC-10, Alex Hillman wrote:

I’ve met owners with backgrounds and experience from almost every industry. I have seen almost no correlation that lends itself to any one industry or background. When you’re the owner, nobody’s checking your diploma.

Alex

On Nov 25, 2017, 8:50 PM -0500, Randy Zauhar [email protected], wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 25, 2017, at 8:25 PM, steve suard [email protected] wrote:

Claban@phillynews

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

Great Alex Thanks, I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

···

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 3:25:22 PM UTC-10, steve suard wrote:

Ok Alex it’s great! After reading the tweets, they were astonished at this subject and joked about the diplomas that are not necessary but rather the social side towards the coworkers. I think that they are right, since my opening no one asked me my diploma to exercise this job but rather admire my kindness, my courtesy and my services. Unlike the butcher, hairdresser, jeweler and other jobs, in France, it is not possible to open a business or work without a minimum degree or a certificate validating its achievements in the field. My initial question in this group was that some people around me or friends do think that I need to have a “paper” to become a community manager. They underestimate me. I think it’s very French to think so, education and graduates are very rooted in us unlike Americans or others who is based on experience and the result.

···

Real talk dude, people underestimate people everywhere. That’s not uniquely French. That’s human. You’re just paying too much attention to the wrong voices. :slight_smile:

I was 23 when I started Indy Hall and had countless people tell me that I couldn’t do it. My last boss (before I quit) told me that it would never work.

I just ignored them and focused on finding my tribe, one at a time.

My fav is when those naysayers come back and want my advice on their “great idea.”

-Alex

···

On Dec 9, 2017, 7:30 PM -0500, steve suard <[email protected]>, wrote:

Ok Alex it's great! After reading the tweets, they were astonished at this subject and joked about the diplomas that are not necessary but rather the social side towards the coworkers. I think that they are right, since my opening no one asked me my diploma to exercise this job but rather admire my kindness, my courtesy and my services. Unlike the butcher, hairdresser, jeweler and other jobs, in France, it is not possible to open a business or work without a minimum degree or a certificate validating its achievements in the field. My initial question in this group was that some people around me or friends do think that I need to have a "paper" to become a community manager. They underestimate me. I think it's very French to think so, education and graduates are very rooted in us unlike Americans or others who is based on experience and the result.

> I wonder what kind of skills and diploma or certificate you must have as a coworking owner.
> I need to study and have one in order to be credible as my job title.
>
> I found some with community manager but it's for social or virtual. Is there any training to become a real life community manager (welcome members, share ideas, planning events...)
>
>
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.

Great answer Alex. I was searching for the "like button" but couldn't find
it. :slight_smile: Thank you for your support.

···

On Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 2:37:55 PM UTC-10, Alex Hillman wrote:

Real talk dude, people underestimate people everywhere. That’s not
uniquely French. That’s human. You’re just paying too much attention to the
wrong voices. :slight_smile:

I was 23 when I started Indy Hall and had countless people tell me that I
couldn’t do it. My last boss (before I quit) told me that it would never
work.

I just ignored them and focused on finding my tribe, one at a time.

My fav is when those naysayers come back and want my advice on their
“great idea.”

-Alex

On Dec 9, 2017, 7:30 PM -0500, steve suard <busi...@gmail.com > <javascript:>>, wrote:

Ok Alex it's great! After reading the tweets, they were astonished at this
subject and joked about the diplomas that are not necessary but rather the
social side towards the coworkers. I think that they are right, since my
opening no one asked me my diploma to exercise this job but rather admire
my kindness, my courtesy and my services. Unlike the butcher, hairdresser,
jeweler and other jobs, in France, it is not possible to open a business or
work without a minimum degree or a certificate validating its achievements
in the field. My initial question in this group was that some people around
me or friends do think that I need to have a "paper" to become a community
manager. They underestimate me. I think it's very French to think so,
education and graduates are very rooted in us unlike Americans or others
who is based on experience and the result.

I wonder what kind of skills and diploma or certificate you must have as
a coworking owner.

I found some with community manager but it's for social or virtual. Is
there any training to become a real life community manager (welcome
members, share ideas, planning events...)

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to cowork...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.