What kind of Coffee?

I am looking for some input into the type of coffee that I should provide for my coworkers. Currently we have a couple of Keurigs in the space and a regular coffee pot. I typically just buy regular coffee grounds (nothing special.) Do you think I should upgrade to an espresso machine or gourmet coffees? Let me know!

A few recommendations on coffee equipment and beans here: http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-way-of-providing-coffee-in-my-new-coworking-space/answer/Alex-Hillman

Spending just a little extra on great coffees and teas can make a huge difference, But the best answer is going to come from your members! Invite them to share their favorites. We rotate our bean roasters regularly and host taste-offs so our members can help choose. Their participation makes the coffee taste better :wink:

-Alex

···

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://listen.coworkingweekly.com

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Daniel Pitner [email protected] wrote:

I am looking for some input into the type of coffee that I should provide for my coworkers. Currently we have a couple of Keurigs in the space and a regular coffee pot. I typically just buy regular coffee grounds (nothing special.) Do you think I should upgrade to an espresso machine or gourmet coffees? Let me know!

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

At betacowork.com we have nespresso capsules for our members that they pay for. We used to have sense pads but almost nobody used them. Our Italian moka coffee makers are never used. We make coffee for events in big drip machines and give it for free:they prefer it strong. We chose pads for members because they are cleaner than ground coffee and leave responsibility and initiative for their coffee in their hands. We allow members to bring their own coffee too. Fancy stuff like manual espresso pumps do not last more than a few days, the time for the novelty to wear off.

We tried asking like Alex suggests, but the answers did not reflect usage, so at the end it is us that chose to limit choice and burden.

Ramon Suarez
Author: coworkinghandbook.com

We have a local company here in town that roasts their own beans and supplies all the equipment. We have a large drip machine that uses insulated carafes. We change up the bean choice each month that we order. Having extra carafes makes it easier to brew a pot for the conference room or make a couple of different kinds of coffee too.

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4:03:14 PM UTC-6, Daniel Pitner wrote:

Also, we only have to buy the beans and pay to rent the cold/hot water filtration system which is $40/mo. They supplied all the carafes and commercial coffee maker for free.

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4:03:14 PM UTC-6, Daniel Pitner wrote:

I got a good deal on a reconditioned expresso machine which is doing great, we then we are a relatively small, new space.
Then I have a bunch of 'French press' plungers and ground coffee which members can use and we also use to make up insulated jugs for workshops/ meeting rooms etc.
I have an aversion to both Nestle and to the millions of little plastic pods going into landfills so didn't go the nespresso route but I wish there was a Eco-version as its damn convenient!
All coffee/tea is free for our members.

We took our members on a field trip to the local roaster/coffee shop and we had a coffee tasting. We picked two types of coffee to use, so we could switch around and keep from getting jaded with just one type. We were going to have a custom blend made - one of the perks (sorry for the pun) of using a local roaster, but folks seemed happy with what they picked. Every now and then someone brings a pound of something new back from a trip.

As for hardware, we have a donated french press which is hardly ever used, a donated consumer-type espresso machine which is almost never used, and we finally graduated to a Newco commercial coffee machine. Best decision yet and well worth the investment. Due to space limitations we got a 12-cup pour-over model in their ECO line (AKH-TC) and even the devout tea drinkers have been able to make coffee without messing it up.

We thought about the pod-type coffee makers. While it’s convenient, all the pods going into the landfill didn’t fit with our business practices, and the thought of filling the reusable pods made me cringe at the level of effort needed.

···

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Michaela Anchan [email protected] wrote:

I got a good deal on a reconditioned expresso machine which is doing great, we then we are a relatively small, new space.

Then I have a bunch of ‘French press’ plungers and ground coffee which members can use and we also use to make up insulated jugs for workshops/ meeting rooms etc.

I have an aversion to both Nestle and to the millions of little plastic pods going into landfills so didn’t go the nespresso route but I wish there was a Eco-version as its damn convenient!

All coffee/tea is free for our members.

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Glen Ferguson

Cowork Frederick

122 E Patrick St

Frederick, MD 21701-5630

+1 (301) 732-5165

www.coworkfrederick.com

@CoworkFrederick

We use a great local coffee roaster at Wayfare called Kean Coffee. We brew our coffee with a Wilfa Precision Maker and also offer a Nespresso at an additional cost should anyone like to use it. We usually make several pots of coffee in the morning and place them in airpots. We also have a kettle and a chemex for anyone wanting to make their own pour over.

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 2:03:14 PM UTC-8, Daniel Pitner wrote:

We have the verisimo at my job. The company pays for the pods, but they taste exactly like a regular starbucks latte.

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 2:03:14 PM UTC-8, Daniel Pitner wrote:

We have a 12 cup, single-serve machine, and use the grounds from a local coffee shop that grows the beans themselves.

Also, we get our tea from a local company that blends loose leaf tea themselves.

In terms of ‘special’, for us supporting local businesses is a part of what we do.

A bean-to-cup machine, like from Imperial or a comparative company, is a neat way to go too though. You do have to make sure there is a person on hand to help manage the machine, but it’s a good way to get a bit more variety going.

···

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 5:03:14 PM UTC-5, Daniel Pitner wrote: