What has been trend at your coworking space?

I spoke to some owners in my area and they suggested few trends that got me curious if that is consistent at other coworking spaces as well. One owner said that mid of the week is the peak when their hot seats are full and Monday and Friday being the least utilized. Is this trend consistent at your coworking space as well? What is your ratio of daily dropins vs monthly members?

I agree. In fact, also between 10 - 3pm.
JEROME CHANG

WEST: Santa Monica
1450 2nd Street (@Broadway) | Santa Monica CA 90401
ph: (310) 526-2255

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) | Los Angeles CA 90036
ph: (323) 330-9505

EAST: Downtown
529 S. Broadway, Suite 4000 (@Pershing Square) | Los Angeles CA 90013
ph: (213) 550-2235

···

On Dec 24, 2014, at 10:27 AM, Saurabh Gupta [email protected] wrote:

I spoke to some owners in my area and they suggested few trends that got me curious if that is consistent at other coworking spaces as well. One owner said that mid of the week is the peak when their hot seats are full and Monday and Friday being the least utilized. Is this trend consistent at your coworking space as well? What is your ratio of daily dropins vs monthly members?

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

For hotdesking, Mondays and Friday afternoons are D-E-A-D; Wednesdays are also slow. Buut this last is I think local to the Netherlands, it is traditionally the day that kids are out of school early.

But we do not really encourage dropins, if what you mean is people who are not regular members. We are above 90% regular members, but that’s the point around here so it is not surprising. Amsterdam gets the most, obviously, I think hotdesking is much more common in larger urban settings.

···

On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:27:18 PM UTC+1, Saurabh Gupta wrote:

Hi Jenanie,

Is there a particular reason why you would not accept dropins even when your space runs low on those days?

···

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 4:23:49 AM UTC-6, Jeannine wrote:

For hotdesking, Mondays and Friday afternoons are D-E-A-D; Wednesdays are also slow. Buut this last is I think local to the Netherlands, it is traditionally the day that kids are out of school early.

But we do not really encourage dropins, if what you mean is people who are not regular members. We are above 90% regular members, but that’s the point around here so it is not surprising. Amsterdam gets the most, obviously, I think hotdesking is much more common in larger urban settings.

It is not that we don’t accept them, it is that they are not really the people we are looking for. If there is room, drop ins are of course welcome, and there is pretty much always room.

But the relationship between digital nomads and a coworking space often amounts to mutual efforts at exploitation. This is not the relationship I care to have with my coworkers. If the primary driver for somebody walking in is that it is cheap, I can point them to lots of free places to glom onto somebody’s wifi for free.

···

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:43:47 PM UTC+1, Saurabh Gupta wrote:

Hi Jenanie,

Is there a particular reason why you would not accept dropins even when your space runs low on those days?

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 4:23:49 AM UTC-6, Jeannine wrote:

The natural trends definitely seems pretty consistent - mid-week seems to be the highest use, which I’ve been able to connect to the feeling of either

1 - “Well shit, my week is halfway over and I still have a full week’s worth of work to do. better get somewhere more productive” or

2 - “Hmmm…what day is it. wednesday? Crap, I haven’t left the house in 4 days. I need a change of scenery!”

The other factor is what else is happening. Days where we have our lunchtime Show & Tell tend to be busier because it’s something that people enjoy and look forward to. Same with our weekly Night Owls…even though it’s an evening event, a good number of people come in during the day and stay late because of night owls. Also, when external events are happening in the city that have a bigger draw, our suburban members tend to come into the city for a day of coworking before hand (sort of a social, urban “treat” if you will).

The key, though, is to notice these patterns and experiment a bit. Rather than just notice a certain day is busy, ask why? Is that an effect that you can recreate on other days of the week? For instance, if you know that a certain kind of activity tends to attract more members for that day, put that activity on days that are naturally less busy.

Our goal is never to overstuff our days - in fact, these days we’ve been having to put more concerted effort into spreading things out. Night Owls became sort of a “got to” event for piggybacking other activities, and without careful planning, those days started getting very crowded and complicated.

My mindset is that there’s a balance to being comfortably busy. Enough activity to peak excitement and serendipity, but not too much that members and staff are overwhelmed. That means playing to strengths, and understanding your strengths so that you can use them to fill in the natural weaknesses.

-Alex

···

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://listen.coworkingweekly.com

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Jeannine [email protected] wrote:

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.