What does everyone use for checking users in?

Our property managers arent keen on Kisi (or anything that taps into base building security) so just curious what others have done, short of having someone physically sit there and check people in. This is more of a concern for the day pass users as opposed to full monthly, as it would be great to have an automated system.

Thanks!

Mark

We use Nexudus coworking management software and have built a homebrew tap in/out system using a couple of cheap 10" wall mounted monitors, stick PCs and proximity touch pads that reads our access passes, connected to Nexudus via their check in software.

It works, just. We have a ton of problems with people not checking in or out properly, partly because Nexudus doesn’t store any credentials locally so there can be a delay in accepting a checkin/out, which confused people so they try again.

We want to try Kisi, but despite their absolute relentless email spamming/marketing, when I actually replied back to them saying we’d like to give it a go, they’ve ignored my email!

···

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 18:13:11 UTC, Mark Gordon wrote:

Our property managers arent keen on Kisi (or anything that taps into base building security) so just curious what others have done, short of having someone physically sit there and check people in. This is more of a concern for the day pass users as opposed to full monthly, as it would be great to have an automated system.

Thanks!

Mark

Hey Tom,

That’s amazing! If you are willing to share how you built the tap in/ out system, we’d love to host it on our commmunity board: http://community.getkisi.com/

I’m sorry to hear that you feel you got too much information from us - it’s just we launched tons of products recently and wanted to update everyone. Maybe too much in that case.

Also in your case, sorry to hear that we missed your email. If you are still interested would love to get back in touch! January has been crazy in terms of growth for us as we service worldwide now. If you are still interested, would love to chat - even if it’s just to hear how you like your check in / check out build.

@Mark: Normally coworking spaces don’t have to ask property management companies, they tell them what to do. You guys are the modern facility managers (from their point of view) and normally they are keen on adopting new tech that coworking spaces use every day. Now in security that’s sometimes a bit hairy mostly because a) they don’t know how SaaS software works, b) they don’t have an IT department and c) they are scared that anyone finds out how bad their current security system is.

···

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 8:45:40 AM UTC-5, Tom Lewis wrote:

We use Nexudus coworking management software and have built a homebrew tap in/out system using a couple of cheap 10" wall mounted monitors, stick PCs and proximity touch pads that reads our access passes, connected to Nexudus via their check in software.

It works, just. We have a ton of problems with people not checking in or out properly, partly because Nexudus doesn’t store any credentials locally so there can be a delay in accepting a checkin/out, which confused people so they try again.

We want to try Kisi, but despite their absolute relentless email spamming/marketing, when I actually replied back to them saying we’d like to give it a go, they’ve ignored my email!

Thanks!

Mark

For what it’s worth, I’ve generally been extremely successful in asking our landlords for all KINDS things, but getting them to be okay with anything tied into building security has been a non-starter. I was pretty keen keen to give KISI a go, and our building’s security staff is remarkably modern, but they’re not keen on us tying a 3rd party system into their system.

-Alex

···

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Bernhard Mehl [email protected] wrote:

Hey Tom,

That’s amazing! If you are willing to share how you built the tap in/ out system, we’d love to host it on our commmunity board: http://community.getkisi.com/

I’m sorry to hear that you feel you got too much information from us - it’s just we launched tons of products recently and wanted to update everyone. Maybe too much in that case.

Also in your case, sorry to hear that we missed your email. If you are still interested would love to get back in touch! January has been crazy in terms of growth for us as we service worldwide now. If you are still interested, would love to chat - even if it’s just to hear how you like your check in / check out build.

@Mark: Normally coworking spaces don’t have to ask property management companies, they tell them what to do. You guys are the modern facility managers (from their point of view) and normally they are keen on adopting new tech that coworking spaces use every day. Now in security that’s sometimes a bit hairy mostly because a) they don’t know how SaaS software works, b) they don’t have an IT department and c) they are scared that anyone finds out how bad their current security system is.

Thanks!

Mark

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

Mark, there is a few alternatives listed here Nexudus - The best software for managing coworking and flexible workspaces. Specially network (WiFi/wired) check-in may be a good compromise. It obviously doesn’t offer any of the security, but it is pretty easy to install. unobtrusive and it generally delivers good results and it is pretty accurate in telling you who and other members who is in and out of the space.

···

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 5:12:12 PM UTC, Alex Hillman wrote:

For what it’s worth, I’ve generally been extremely successful in asking our landlords for all KINDS things, but getting them to be okay with anything tied into building security has been a non-starter. I was pretty keen keen to give KISI a go, and our building’s security staff is remarkably modern, but they’re not keen on us tying a 3rd party system into their system.

-Alex

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Bernhard Mehl [email protected] wrote:

Hey Tom,

Thanks!

Mark

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Hi @Bernard, We are in a nearly 2,000,000sf complex, and the base building managers defintiely need to be involved for approval when asking to tap into base building security, if not for emergency purposes (fire) but also security wise on their side. (Making sure no one can gain access to their system) The head of building security has had multiple phone conversations witth a rep from Kisi and I believe the CEO on our behalf, and they have come to the conclusion that its not a fit. Their base building sysytem supports similar phone type access, but just doesnt give us the check in capabilities we were looking for.

We have started looking at various wifi check in systems, but teh quotes we have so far are out of our budget. (5k+)

···

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 9:49:39 AM UTC-7, Bernhard Mehl wrote:

That’s interesting feedback, thanks a lot! We work with a lot of spaces who have no issues at all, so maybe that’s why we never really get that on the radar.

We’ll think of easier ways for landlords to “coworking enable” their building door in a way that is less intrusive.

cheers

···

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 4:56:29 PM UTC-5, Mark Gordon wrote:

Hi @Bernard, We are in a nearly 2,000,000sf complex, and the base building managers defintiely need to be involved for approval when asking to tap into base building security, if not for emergency purposes (fire) but also security wise on their side. (Making sure no one can gain access to their system) The head of building security has had multiple phone conversations witth a rep from Kisi and I believe the CEO on our behalf, and they have come to the conclusion that its not a fit. Their base building sysytem supports similar phone type access, but just doesnt give us the check in capabilities we were looking for.

We have started looking at various wifi check in systems, but teh quotes we have so far are out of our budget. (5k+)

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 9:49:39 AM UTC-7, Bernhard Mehl wrote:

I stopped doing checkin b/c I couldn’t even any more. No one reliably used any system and unless it’s automatic like a retinal scan they don’t know is happening, I couldn’t find a free solution we liked. So we just stopped and it doesn’t even matter. When I did track users, they never followed any pattern or time of day or anything so it seemed pointless to continue to collect data where the answer was, “there is no pattern.” If it’s about managing member’s use, I don’t do that either. I tell all new members, you can count. I’m sure you’ll figure out if you’re using the right amount of time here.

Angel

···

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 11:13:11 AM UTC-7, Mark Gordon wrote:

Thanks!

Mark

Angel, I love how you write that.

We have "honor system"/community guidelines if anyone asks how it's counted, and if anyone makes a face, I say, "you can tally it and if you want it to be tallied for you, we can make a Google Spreadsheet for you to add a 1 each time, or stick a Post-It note for Robinson Crusoe one-day-at-a-time markings on a locker here", and then they relax (or I explain Robinson Crusoe or say nevermind about Robinson Crusoe, and then they relax). But yeah, honor system, personal responsibility, etc.

We never use a check-in system because members don’t like it. I find it to a barrier that reminds them that this is more of a tracation and ruins the flow of them just coming in, working, and thinking of it as their own space. I know there is a temptation to collect data as much as possible but reallly just noting busy day, average day, slow day will give you enough data to detect patterns. Don’t over complicate it.

If you want a door access system that is different. I’m becoming a fan of Proximity Space.

Do none of you use Cobot? I've heard a lot about it and surprised to see no one mention it here.

With all things it’s about balance and striking the right balance between a number of different factors. At Office Nomads we do have members sign in, using an iPad at the front that’s hooked in to Nadine, our management system. We tie this with membership packages that don’t do hourly, only daily which means you don’t need to sign out.

This creates an important touch point when members arrive. It funnels people to the front and slows them down just enough that we can catch them if there is something we need to talk about.

In general, I’m not a fan of automating everything as it removes opportunities to talk with members. But of course it’s about balance. I’ve seen it work, only because other touch points were introduced and emphasized such as around the coffee/printing areas, or with better team mingling practices.

···

312 Main, up here in Vancouver, is going to be much larger (understatement), with multiple points of entry/exit. Scale shifts the balance so we have a lot of work to do to make adjustments to what we’ve learned over the years.

Jacob

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

We never use a check-in system because members don’t like it. I find it to a barrier that reminds them that this is more of a tracation and ruins the flow of them just coming in, working, and thinking of it as their own space. I know there is a temptation to collect data as much as possible but reallly just noting busy day, average day, slow day will give you enough data to detect patterns. Don’t over complicate it.

If you want a door access system that is different. I’m becoming a fan of Proximity Space.

Nexudus

···

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:13:11 AM UTC-8, Mark Gordon wrote:

Thanks!

Mark

I use Cobot but had technical problems using the 3rd party netbox integration.

···

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 10:42:07 AM UTC-6, Kevin Haggerty wrote:

Do none of you use Cobot? I’ve heard a lot about it and surprised to see no one mention it here.

Eric - do you have an automated system for having your members check in on Nexudus, or do you do it manually?

···

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 10:51:07 PM UTC-4, Eric Datanagan wrote:

Nexudus

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark,
We have a very simple automated wifi checkin system through Deskworks. We provide the one piece of hardware, a firewall/router, that’s pretty inexpensive. Then the cloud-based radius server sees and knows your members through the MAC address of their connected devices. The automatic checkin does a few things: 1) you can see them on your dashboard (from anywhere! While you’re in the Bahamas!); 2) if they have day passes, it checks them in and deducts the passes from their plan, then can charge them for any extra time outside their plan; 3) gives you an access number for the day on your dashboard for free passes; 4) sends people with reservations an access number that’s active for 1/2 hour before til 1/2 hour after reservations for their guests. Oh, and the splash page lets walkins buy day passes online, so you don’t have to sign them in.

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel or do a 3rd party integration on your own.

Let me know if you want more info on it!

Barbara

···

Thanks!

Mark