What are your plans for April 28th? (ie: take your children to work day)

I’m wondering how different coworking spaces deal with this day. I’ve worked in different places where the kids spend some time with their parents, then they also put all the kids together at some point to give the kids tours of different parts of the company or organization.

In a coworking space, there isn’t really much to tour. It’s just tables, chairs, and desks. Most of the concepts that typically come with issues that affect a broad spectrum of the coworking community have no appeal to kids. I’m hoping to wrap my head around how we can be welcoming to the families here, not distract those working, and offer something that is of interest and value to the kids who might come.

I think that there could be a real appeal to our local community if they know that we are welcoming to and understand the life of a coworking parent and/or family, but I also don’t want to approach the situation haphazardly and end up having a bad day for anyone.

Anybody else wondering about these things? Have any suggestions? Thoughts? Experience? Tales of woe or success?

Any and all conversation, input, or advice is welcomed!

Thanks a BUNCH!

-Kim Merritt

Community Manager

[email protected]

The Foundry

Fredericksburg, VA

Forget the furniture. You’re in a room full of people who bucked the norm to build businesses that everyone told them they couldn’t. They defied the odds and figured out how to make a living for themselves doing work nobody assigned them.

I couldn’t imagine a more compelling and valuable opportunity for these kids to have an inspiring experience.

I wish it didn’t take me 23 years to step into a room full of people who worked for themselves for the first time.

The moment I did, there was no going back.

···

On Mar 22, 2016, at 1:42 PM, FredXchange Community Manager [email protected] wrote:

I’m wondering how different coworking spaces deal with this day. I’ve worked in different places where the kids spend some time with their parents, then they also put all the kids together at some point to give the kids tours of different parts of the company or organization.

In a coworking space, there isn’t really much to tour. It’s just tables, chairs, and desks. Most of the concepts that typically come with issues that affect a broad spectrum of the coworking community have no appeal to kids. I’m hoping to wrap my head around how we can be welcoming to the families here, not distract those working, and offer something that is of interest and value to the kids who might come.

I think that there could be a real appeal to our local community if they know that we are welcoming to and understand the life of a coworking parent and/or family, but I also don’t want to approach the situation haphazardly and end up having a bad day for anyone.

Anybody else wondering about these things? Have any suggestions? Thoughts? Experience? Tales of woe or success?

Thanks a BUNCH!

-Kim Merritt

Community Manager

[email protected]

The Foundry

Fredericksburg, VA

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

We do one every year. The kids come in, we share some stories about the types of work that we do, and we let them work on what they want to for a little bit. We go for lunch to one of the local restaurants downtown, and then we share some things that they should think about if they want to work for themselves. Very low key. The kids love it because we involve them for the day. They’re not watching us work…they’re working with us.

The bottom line for us is that they see this as just another normal type of work, and that’s important to us. For so many years people thought of this kind of work as a last resort. Now people can make it their first choice.

The future is bright; and it’s independent.

···

Trevor Twining

Cowork Niagara

http://coworkniagara.com

Home of Niagara’s independent workforce

twitter: @coworkniagara, @trevortwining

On Mar 22, 2016, at 1:42 PM, FredXchange Community Manager [email protected] wrote:

Thanks a BUNCH!

-Kim Merritt

Community Manager

[email protected]

The Foundry

Fredericksburg, VA

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Both of you are so right! I gotta shift my focus when thinking about and planning this day!

We are still a growing organization, so I’m not sure if we’ll get much, if any turnout for this day, but if I do, I’ll definitely let you all know how it goes and what we tried.

Thank you so much!!!

-Kim

···

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 1:56:21 PM UTC-4, FredXchange Community Manager wrote:

Thanks a BUNCH!

-Kim Merritt

Community Manager

[email protected]

The Foundry

Fredericksburg, VA