We're sharing all of our coworking data and financial info

Hi everyone.

We’ve enjoyed sharing some of the highs and lows of our coworking journey on our blog, and the positive response has inspired us to go one step further… So we created a website that displays all of our coworking data and financial information. There are charts and graphs, and links to download our financial spreadsheets:

http://www.theskillery.com/coworking/open/data/

We’ll update it once a month. If you like it, and find it useful, please spread the word. If there are things you think we could be doing to make it more useful, let me know. If you need help making sense of it all, holler.

Hope this is useful for the group!

-Matt @ The Skillery

Matt

Wow! This makes me think either you guys are a little crazy, or you know something the rest of us don’t! I love it!

What inspired you to take such an unusual step? The vibes of crowdsourcing and the sharing economy seems to facilitate such a brave move.

Also, thank-you. We’re knee-deep in our business plan, so this will be very helpful for us just now!

Dawn

···

On Thursday, 14 January 2016 13:05:54 UTC, Matt D. wrote:

Hi everyone.

We’ve enjoyed sharing some of the highs and lows of our coworking journey on our blog, and the positive response has inspired us to go one step further… So we created a website that displays all of our coworking data and financial information. There are charts and graphs, and links to download our financial spreadsheets:

We’ll update it once a month. If you like it, and find it useful, please spread the word. If there are things you think we could be doing to make it more useful, let me know. If you need help making sense of it all, holler.

-Matt @ The Skillery

Hi Dawn.

Thanks for the note - I’m glad you’re finding it useful!

I am a data nerd. So I track this data for my business, and, somewhere along the way, realized that it might be useful to others. I know that if I had been able to access this sort of data while exploring the idea of opening a coworking space, it would have been useful to me… so my hope is that it’s useful to others. Sounds like it is! Excellent.

I also believe that data only goes so far. I don’t want to just provide data, so we make sense of that data on our blog. We’ve written a number of posts in which we look at the data, and make some conclusions that relate to our community, our space, and our business. Hopefully, that paints a more complete picture.

It’s fascinating how many people I have heard from since taking this approach. Coworking spaces around the world are reaching out with questions and gratitude. I think there’s real value in sharing this sort of insight with others. Just as meaningful: sharing the dirty innards of our coworking space speaks to our values, as well. Transparency, honesty, and the willingness to embrace failure – it just feels like who we are. So we’ll keep doing it. Crazy, maybe. But that’s okay with us.

Best,

-Matt

···

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 7:17:25 AM UTC-6, Dawn Baird wrote:

Matt

Wow! This makes me think either you guys are a little crazy, or you know something the rest of us don’t! I love it!

What inspired you to take such an unusual step? The vibes of crowdsourcing and the sharing economy seems to facilitate such a brave move.

Also, thank-you. We’re knee-deep in our business plan, so this will be very helpful for us just now!

Dawn

On Thursday, 14 January 2016 13:05:54 UTC, Matt D. wrote:

Hi everyone.

-Matt @ The Skillery