Vaping in the space

Would love to have as many of you as possible weigh in with what your personal policies are. It's honestly not something I even thought about until I found out what of our members had been vaping in their office. I have never smoked and know very little about vaping, so I don't want to be reactionary.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Kevin

I think this should be banned as well as smoking. At least for the obvious reason — even if this vaping is not dangerous it creates a lot of discomfort for other members.

Sergey Petrenko
Terminal42.com.ua

···

28 февр. 2018 г., в 22:05, Kevin Haggerty <[email protected]> написал(а):

Would love to have as many of you as possible weigh in with what your personal policies are. It's honestly not something I even thought about until I found out what of our members had been vaping in their office. I have never smoked and know very little about vaping, so I don't want to be reactionary.

Thanks in advance!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.

For two years we had a seller of vaping products as a coworker. Our entry room has after some years of trying to figure out what to do with it become a dedicated retail space.

They had lots of events and parties and so on, generally not during normal work hours. They have since graduated to their own space down the street here, but they still participate in the collective shipping service we have. Only they got a better quote than we did from the shippers, so instead of their shipping with our collective account, we ship with theirs. :slight_smile:

That quite aside we did find out that there are a number of people who are sensitive to vaping. I don’t really know anything about it but there were coworkers who knew when people had been vaping and did not like it. So we put in a ventilation system and then everybody was happy. The vaping guys paid for half of it and the community paid for the other half as I recall.

There are also people who have Very Strong Feelings about minors vaping: happily the guys who ran the vaping shop were amoung those people and so this turned out also not to be an issue. But it is a thing to be aware of, if the coworker is not in agreement with that.

···

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 9:05:18 PM UTC+1, Kevin Haggerty wrote:

Would love to have as many of you as possible weigh in with what your personal policies are. It’s honestly not something I even thought about until I found out what of our members had been vaping in their office. I have never smoked and know very little about vaping, so I don’t want to be reactionary.
Thanks in advance!

We absolutely do not allow it.

They are vaporizing chemicals to be inhaled. When they do that, it’s not just the person choosing to inhale them; it’s all the people around them who are also forced to inhale. Vaping or smoking in the presence of others who choose not to is an intimately violent act.

Trevor Twining

[email protected]

905-324-5575

twitter/skype/linkedin: trevortwining

···

On Feb 28, 2018, at 3:05 , Kevin Haggerty [email protected] wrote:

Would love to have as many of you as possible weigh in with what your personal policies are. It’s honestly not something I even thought about until I found out what of our members had been vaping in their office. I have never smoked and know very little about vaping, so I don’t want to be reactionary.

Thanks in advance!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Jeannine your answer is so interesting!

We definitely have a zero tolerance to smoking, electronic or not. Like others have commented it’s discomforting for other members, and quite frankly I don’t think it’s attractive nor professional in todays society. So for me, it’s not something we want to be associated with our brand.

Oh that happens a lot, I have grown used to it over the years :slight_smile:

I think the primary difference, as was pointed out somewhere else in another thread, is that this kind of thing depends very much on how we see our role.

My brand is, that it isn’t my decision (beyond legal questions of course). It is the decision of the coworkers and is looked at differently in each location. Several of the spaces in the network do not have retail at all for example, online or otherwise.
My job is to facilitate the discussion where necessary. In theory I would make a call if it were close: but I have the advantage that he Dutch are culturally very good at this kind of thing. They even have a word for it: they call it polderen and that means, the process of reaching consensus.

It has been a real education to see it in action.

In any event, I am not at all sorry to have the coworker, they have been a great asset and a joy to know.

···

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 2:45:46 PM UTC+1, Matt G wrote:

Jeannine your answer is so interesting!

We definitely have a zero tolerance to smoking, electronic or not. Like others have commented it’s discomforting for other members, and quite frankly I don’t think it’s attractive nor professional in todays society. So for me, it’s not something we want to be associated with our brand.