Update on Coworking in Gloucester, VA

I just wanted to write an update for those of you who have been following along with our progress in Gloucester, VA -- in particular to those of you who have helped and given valuable input along the way.

If you recall, the situation has been fairly unique, in that the landlords (husband & wife) of the building we were looking to use were approaching things from a benevolent approach/perspective, and had chosen to focus on their desire to support the business and less about the agreement and our roles. Several of you (rightly) had apprehension over that, and in response to your advice of the advice of other mentors, I have been making firm efforts to nail them down on some kind of agreement over the past two weeks. (It hasn't been easy.)

Long story as short as I can make it - the results have been disappointing. When I finally got them to give me some hard numbers, their proposal was $17.40/sq ft for the lease. To give frame of reference, commercial real estate in the area typically leases for anywhere from $6/sq ft up to $16/sq ft on the high end. So, we suddenly went from them being invested in the vision and wanting to help foster that to it being very cut and dry and them essentially making me a business offer that I'd have to be foolish to accept.

The good news is that we got this out on the table now versus later.

I did not respond to their offer right away (it was made during a meeting last Tuesday), as I wanted to have time to process and do research. I'm scheduled to meet with them this evening, where I will tell them I cannot accept their terms and see where the conversation goes. It's likely I'll need to walk away, which is totally ok, because I know it isn't about a building. :slight_smile:

Additionally, I've recently taken on a partner. She is a young lady who was looking to start a local small business incubator, and we both felt our similar interests and what we bring to the table would complement the other well. So, the focus has shifted a little, and the plan is now to create a coworking space that would also have a small business incubator built in, including an advisory board of mentors who are local business owners and entrepreneurs who have expertise and experience to share.

Our group of interested coworkers continues to grow, and we're now up to about 20 people who have said they want in when the doors open.

I also got an email from the local newspaper this morning, and they're looking to do an article on what we're trying to do.

This afternoon, my partner and I are going to look at the upstairs of a local building as a possible alternative location. It's old and needs a lot of TLC, but the rent/lease is about 25% of what the other landlords were asking. The thought is that we could get our feet wet there and learn about running the space, and we could even just go cheap on the furniture by getting thrift store stuff, building certain aspects (floating wall desks), and just trying to operate n a shoestring budget until things take off.

We've also found a local accountant who is going to help us make sure we're doing things by the book in that regard, and she will be on retainer for $150/month (which we think is pretty cheap).

We're thinking about just going ahead and launching presales and doing some crowdfunding to help with upfront costs, but our fear is that people won't buy into that without a building/location. I'd love to hear from any of you who have been successful in similar circumstances.

As always, I appreciate all feedback and support.

More to come.

~Kevin

You may be surprised to see the landlords are ready to drop the rental price 50% or even more. Just ask for it. Location is not everything but quite important. Get a good carpenter and build tables and shelfs from solid wood which you can use for many years and makes your space cool.

···

On May 9, 2017 00:02, “Kevin Haggerty” [email protected] wrote:

I just wanted to write an update for those of you who have been following along with our progress in Gloucester, VA – in particular to those of you who have helped and given valuable input along the way.

If you recall, the situation has been fairly unique, in that the landlords (husband & wife) of the building we were looking to use were approaching things from a benevolent approach/perspective, and had chosen to focus on their desire to support the business and less about the agreement and our roles. Several of you (rightly) had apprehension over that, and in response to your advice of the advice of other mentors, I have been making firm efforts to nail them down on some kind of agreement over the past two weeks. (It hasn’t been easy.)

Long story as short as I can make it - the results have been disappointing. When I finally got them to give me some hard numbers, their proposal was $17.40/sq ft for the lease. To give frame of reference, commercial real estate in the area typically leases for anywhere from $6/sq ft up to $16/sq ft on the high end. So, we suddenly went from them being invested in the vision and wanting to help foster that to it being very cut and dry and them essentially making me a business offer that I’d have to be foolish to accept.

The good news is that we got this out on the table now versus later.

I did not respond to their offer right away (it was made during a meeting last Tuesday), as I wanted to have time to process and do research. I’m scheduled to meet with them this evening, where I will tell them I cannot accept their terms and see where the conversation goes. It’s likely I’ll need to walk away, which is totally ok, because I know it isn’t about a building. :slight_smile:

Additionally, I’ve recently taken on a partner. She is a young lady who was looking to start a local small business incubator, and we both felt our similar interests and what we bring to the table would complement the other well. So, the focus has shifted a little, and the plan is now to create a coworking space that would also have a small business incubator built in, including an advisory board of mentors who are local business owners and entrepreneurs who have expertise and experience to share.

Our group of interested coworkers continues to grow, and we’re now up to about 20 people who have said they want in when the doors open.

I also got an email from the local newspaper this morning, and they’re looking to do an article on what we’re trying to do.

This afternoon, my partner and I are going to look at the upstairs of a local building as a possible alternative location. It’s old and needs a lot of TLC, but the rent/lease is about 25% of what the other landlords were asking. The thought is that we could get our feet wet there and learn about running the space, and we could even just go cheap on the furniture by getting thrift store stuff, building certain aspects (floating wall desks), and just trying to operate n a shoestring budget until things take off.

We’ve also found a local accountant who is going to help us make sure we’re doing things by the book in that regard, and she will be on retainer for $150/month (which we think is pretty cheap).

We’re thinking about just going ahead and launching presales and doing some crowdfunding to help with upfront costs, but our fear is that people won’t buy into that without a building/location. I’d love to hear from any of you who have been successful in similar circumstances.

As always, I appreciate all feedback and support.

More to come.

~Kevin

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Yesterday, we met with a potential new landlord who has the upstairs of a building she is currently not using. She's leasing it out for very little ($550/month + electric). It's a no-brainer, as the lease is an amount my partner and I could handle ourselves if things went south, so there's very little rent. We hope to sign the lease this week. Very exciting!

Kevin,
Yours is such a great story about not being tied to a physical space. I’m so proud of you for having the tough conversations and walking away from what you thought (a few short weeks ago) would be an amazing arrangement. Hurrah!!! A bonus next step would be to raise your damage deposit funds from your 20 interested people so they have a little buy-in :slight_smile:

Angel

···

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 9:19:55 AM UTC-6, Kevin Haggerty wrote:

Yesterday, we met with a potential new landlord who has the upstairs of a building she is currently not using. She’s leasing it out for very little ($550/month + electric). It’s a no-brainer, as the lease is an amount my partner and I could handle ourselves if things went south, so there’s very little rent. We hope to sign the lease this week. Very exciting!

Angel,

Thanks, and good suggestion! We're actually looking to open up fundraising in the next few days, and one of the things we're hoping to do is offer discounted memberships for those who sign up in advance (as many of you have done).

Additionally, I got some "fun" news this morning. Apparently, the landlords of the place we were looking at previously are now planning to still try and do a coworking spaced out of the property, and they plan to call it Cowork Gloucester VA.

My plan was never to call the venue that, but it was always the brand used to promote the movement, so they're definitely infringing and potentially adding market confusion.

I now believe my suspicions have been confirmed and that they intended to push me out with an outrageous offer and attempt to do it without me.

As soon as I heard the news, I went online and trademarked the name, Cowork Gloucester VA. I also own the website, and all the social networking accounts. Next, I plan to go down to the county and register there. So, weird strategy on their part, but if they move forward, they may end up funding my coworking space. :slight_smile:

Oh brother! and looks like my crystal ball still works :slight_smile: In such a small town, you’ll want to keep an olive branch firmly extended even if you have to grit your teeth a little.

angel

···

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 12:26:02 PM UTC-6, Kevin Haggerty wrote:

Angel,
Thanks, and good suggestion! We’re actually looking to open up fundraising in the next few days, and one of the things we’re hoping to do is offer discounted memberships for those who sign up in advance (as many of you have done).

Additionally, I got some “fun” news this morning. Apparently, the landlords of the place we were looking at previously are now planning to still try and do a coworking spaced out of the property, and they plan to call it Cowork Gloucester VA.

My plan was never to call the venue that, but it was always the brand used to promote the movement, so they’re definitely infringing and potentially adding market confusion.

I now believe my suspicions have been confirmed and that they intended to push me out with an outrageous offer and attempt to do it without me.

As soon as I heard the news, I went online and trademarked the name, Cowork Gloucester VA. I also own the website, and all the social networking accounts. Next, I plan to go down to the county and register there. So, weird strategy on their part, but if they move forward, they may end up funding my coworking space. :slight_smile:

Apparently, the landlords of the place we were looking at previously are now planning to still try and do a coworking spaced out of the property, and they plan to call it Cowork Gloucester VA.

If I had a nickel for every time I saw this happen…I’d have a lot of nickels.

And if I had a quarter for every time that “bully” operation shut down within a year or two, I’d a LOT of quarters. .

Back on episode 24 of my podcast Trevor Twining (a regular on this list) was talking about how a landlord pulled a similar stunt. Surprise surprise when that space went back onto the market…

Good on you. Don’t let 'em distract ya!

-Alex

···

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Kevin Haggerty [email protected] wrote:

Angel,

Thanks, and good suggestion! We’re actually looking to open up fundraising in the next few days, and one of the things we’re hoping to do is offer discounted memberships for those who sign up in advance (as many of you have done).

Additionally, I got some “fun” news this morning. Apparently, the landlords of the place we were looking at previously are now planning to still try and do a coworking spaced out of the property, and they plan to call it Cowork Gloucester VA.

My plan was never to call the venue that, but it was always the brand used to promote the movement, so they’re definitely infringing and potentially adding market confusion.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

Oh I plan to be nice, and to smile, but if they try and use my trade name, theyz gonna get sued. :wink:

···

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

Oh brother! and looks like my crystal ball still works :slight_smile: In such a small town, you’ll want to keep an olive branch firmly extended even if you have to grit your teeth a little.
angel

Angel,

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/WWy8mg1_Kto/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

It's just so slimy. I can't imagine operating that way. Oh well. All I can do is operate the right way and with integrity. :slight_smile:

We’ve had it happen not once, but twice!

···

In addition to the scenario I outline in that episode, there was also a guy who came out to our weekly jellies. He thought the community bit wasn’t important. Filled with impatience disguised as enthusiasm, he set out on his own.

He opened five months before us a block down the street. That was slightly more than 3 years ago.

They’re still struggling with less than half occupied.

We’re now negotiating a takeover of that space in addition to where we just moved so that we can give those on our waiting list the community engagement they’re looking for.

The moral of this story is community matters. More than anything. Build the community first and everything else becomes a function of serving that community and far easier to solve. But you have to give it the time it needs to happen.

Trevor Twining

Cowork Niagara

http://coworkniagara.com

Home of Niagara’s independent workforce

twitter: @coworkniagara, @trevortwining

On May 9, 2017, at 4:35 PM, Kevin Haggerty [email protected] wrote:

Oh I plan to be nice, and to smile, but if they try and use my trade name, theyz gonna get sued. :wink:

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

angel

Angel,

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/WWy8mg1_Kto/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].