Space security/members letting people in/ key code systems?

What are your rules about people having non-members in the space after hours?

When a member is having an event in the conference room and people show up late and the door is locked they end up knocking and bothering other members who then aren’t sure if they should let them in etc?

Any great ways to handle this? A sign on the door for after hours that they need to call whoever they are meeting? Making sure members know they need to meet their guests and not rely on other members to let them in?

Ideas?

Also, I would love any recommendations on key code systems that allow for individual codes. The door we have currently only has one code that everyone uses that we change periodically. I know it’s not the best but it’s worked ok so far. I would prefer better security though and the ability to disable codes,etc.

We have the same challenge.

We are exploring installing Kisi that allows the issuing of temporary access. We are also setting up Hubspot Sequencing to inform/remind the booker about how to use the space in an automated fashion so we have consistency in our processes, plus it frees us up to focus on our community/growth. The sequence covers stuff like - How to Accessing The Space, What are the House Rules, How to execute Health and Safety, Organiser Responsibility and Liability, how to engage with other coworkers, how to clean up after your event, how to access refreshments, How to shut the space down if they are the last people leaving.

Our objective is to make the process efficient, but also safe for other coworkers and ensure belongings in the workspace are safe - Safety/Security is challenging because if we have an event in the evening, then we must leave the front door unlocked as it is a fire exit. This means that we are at risk of someone walking-in from the street (we are street front) and picking up something of value and walking out - in saying that, every member has insurance, so do we, and there are security cameras outside our entrance - which I believe drives positive behaviour on the streets.

I hope the above helps.

Kisi - https://www.getkisi.com/

Hubspot Sequencing - Create and edit sequences

Adnan

johnsoncorner.nz

···

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 7:54:21 PM UTC+13, Aloma Loren wrote:

When a member is having an event in the conference room and people show up late and the door is locked they end up knocking and bothering other members who then aren’t sure if they should let them in etc?

Any great ways to handle this? A sign on the door for after hours that they need to call whoever they are meeting? Making sure members know they need to meet their guests and not rely on other members to let them in?

Ideas?

Also, I would love any recommendations on key code systems that allow for individual codes. The door we have currently only has one code that everyone uses that we change periodically. I know it’s not the best but it’s worked ok so far. I would prefer better security though and the ability to disable codes,etc.

I can’t comment much on key code systems (we are trapped using the digital keycard system our building provides) but I can speak to your other questions!

One of the requirements of someone hosting an after-hours event is that they are either a keyholder themselves, or they have a keyholder join them as a “cohost.” Coupled with the way we distribute keys based on a trust and responsability-based system, this helps reduce the range of problems we can run into with after hours groups and even closing procedure.

For handling latecomers, the biggest thing that’s made a difference is telling our meetup organizers that they either need to staff the front door until ~30 mins after the doors lock, and/or they need to impress on their attendees that the doors lock at a specific time and they won’t be able to get in if they arrive late. For some occasional events that starts later, we do put signage on the door with a phone number of the keyholder who can let later-comers in.

But the key (ha!) in all cases is that attendees - late or otherwise - are the responsibility of the keyholders on duty for the event. Helps us reinforce that access as a responsibility, not a right!

-Alex

···

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

Ideas?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.