So...where are all the space managers?

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

So I’ve been running Indy Hall as the Point Man for just shy of 3 years, looking over this place and these people on a daily basis from January of 2011 to right now (and well beyond right now, I should hope). 3 years of facilitating relationships between new and old members, introducing newcomers to our community, saying goodbye to longstanding members who came before me, bumping into very human obstacles and guiding members through sometimes tough social situations, always toward a place in which we’re much tighter and stronger and better than where we came from.

I recently had a really great conversation with a friend about what it is that I do here at Indy Hall. Given that coworking is relatively “new” in the scheme of things, and given that it’s a burgeoning meta-community and industry in its own rite, she asked me who I turn to when I have questions, when I encounter something new.

That’s a long, winding answer. My reference points are ALL OVER the place, there’s not really anyone one, particular role model. Not really a coworking space manager that I look to for parallels or direct reference. Many of you on this forum are among reference points, but there’s a contingent missing from the Google Group: the person that most closely reflects me and what I do here at Indy Hall. I know that person and those people exist, but…where are they?

My friend, she’s a researcher type, and she points out that I’ve got this wealth of domain knowledge, this set of skills and attributes that I reflexively understand and act on every day to keep this community up and running. Things that I often take for granted, admittedly. Things I rarely think about because I’m not talking about them out loud with other people who do it, too.

She goes on to say that it sounds like I’m lacking a field, a network of people who share the same domain knowledge. A group of people like me. Where are those people?

I know the Google Group is primarily for/frequented by owners and prospective space owners, but where do the space managers go to talk to one another? The daily, boots on the ground, hired to be here community leader - where does she go for answers? Where do they go to learn and talk and share? Hell, where do they go to debrief and unwind after a long week of weird social situations? Who teaches them how to do what they’re doing?

Further, for owners and prospective owners: when you’re hiring for a coworking space manager, who are you looking toward and thinking, “yeah, I need that person”? When you do hire someone, who do you refer that person to in terms of a role model for the gig?

Where are the people like me? Who are they? I want to meet 'em.

Hi everybody,

sorry for the interruption and going a bit offtopic but I would like to encourage all Europe based coworking spaces to help spread the information about the European Freelancers Movement [ http://freelancers-europe.org ]. Please use your social media outputs (Facebook, twitter, blog…) to inform your community about the Manifest because to reach the campaign goals we still need around 3600 signatures and we are running out of time. For us in Croatia this really means a lot because we are small country and understand that only paneuropean action like this one can create impact to change our lives for better.

For your convenience I’m including visual you can use in your communication if you like.

Thank you in advance for your time, effort and support,

Matija

···

http://coworking.hr/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CoworkingHR-E-SIGNATURES-MATIJA.jpg

:slight_smile:

···

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Adam Teterus [email protected] wrote:

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

So I’ve been running Indy Hall as the Point Man for just shy of 3 years, looking over this place and these people on a daily basis from January of 2011 to right now (and well beyond right now, I should hope). 3 years of facilitating relationships between new and old members, introducing newcomers to our community, saying goodbye to longstanding members who came before me, bumping into very human obstacles and guiding members through sometimes tough social situations, always toward a place in which we’re much tighter and stronger and better than where we came from.

I recently had a really great conversation with a friend about what it is that I do here at Indy Hall. Given that coworking is relatively “new” in the scheme of things, and given that it’s a burgeoning meta-community and industry in its own rite, she asked me who I turn to when I have questions, when I encounter something new.

That’s a long, winding answer. My reference points are ALL OVER the place, there’s not really anyone one, particular role model. Not really a coworking space manager that I look to for parallels or direct reference. Many of you on this forum are among reference points, but there’s a contingent missing from the Google Group: the person that most closely reflects me and what I do here at Indy Hall. I know that person and those people exist, but…where are they?

My friend, she’s a researcher type, and she points out that I’ve got this wealth of domain knowledge, this set of skills and attributes that I reflexively understand and act on every day to keep this community up and running. Things that I often take for granted, admittedly. Things I rarely think about because I’m not talking about them out loud with other people who do it, too.

She goes on to say that it sounds like I’m lacking a field, a network of people who share the same domain knowledge. A group of people like me. Where are those people?

I know the Google Group is primarily for/frequented by owners and prospective space owners, but where do the space managers go to talk to one another? The daily, boots on the ground, hired to be here community leader - where does she go for answers? Where do they go to learn and talk and share? Hell, where do they go to debrief and unwind after a long week of weird social situations? Who teaches them how to do what they’re doing?

Further, for owners and prospective owners: when you’re hiring for a coworking space manager, who are you looking toward and thinking, “yeah, I need that person”? When you do hire someone, who do you refer that person to in terms of a role model for the gig?

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Mark Laymon
561-541-0441
http://CaffeineSpaces.com
[email protected]
[email protected]
Join me on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
http://www.linkedin.com/in/MarkLaymon
http://www.facebook.com/MarkLaymon
http://twitter.com/MarkLaymon

Hi Adam! Didn’t we have a managers google group a little while back? Are folks still interested in that? What are some ways we could make it more useful?

Chelsea, aka The Employee of Office Nomads

···

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 6:47:49 PM UTC-7, Adam Teterus wrote:

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

We go to coworking conferences like GCUC and Coworking Europe to talk and also build relationships to call each other. I've started the Belgian Coworking Unconference to do the same at national level.

Adam,

That was me. I was the space manager for a community of over 100 businesses. The hired gun for two years.

I’ve been through hell and back for that space.

Now my job is to help both owners and space managers create great new spaces.

I’d be happy to swap space management war stories anytime.

• Aaron
···

Aaron Cruikshank

Principal, CRUIKSHANK

Phone: 778.908.4560

email: [email protected]

web: cruikshank.me

twitter: @cruikshank

book a meeting: doodle.com/cruikshank

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/cruikshank

On Sep 8, 2014 6:45 AM, “Adam Teterus” [email protected] wrote:

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Adam,

Great post and great question!

As a space owner and space manager, I could certainly learn as much or more from space managers as from space owners. And I would hope that the space managers would find a happy home in this Google Group, sharing their own knowledge and requesting help/insight from others. We’d all certainly gain a lot, just as we’d gain a lot if there were more coworking space members on this list. Which I suppose begs the question, “Where are all the coworking space members?”

I guess one answer–the less interesting answer–is that most space owners are or once were space managers. Margins are low for most coworking spaces and many of us run one-person or few-person operations. So we managers are here, but we may use the “owner” tag since that sort of trumps the “manager” tag on our business cards :).

But of course most coworking spaces also have non-owner employees &/or managers, so why aren’t they more active on this list? Here’s a potential answer, and in this case it’s the same answer as why there aren’t more coworking-space members on this list. It’s also an answer I’m a little ashamed to give, because it speaks to how far my own coworking space needs to grow as a community and not just as a business providing shared office space and events: most non-owner space-managers, as with most members, are not passionately involved in the world of coworking and in learning about and contributing to that world.

The material incentives/external motivation (large potential salaries, career advancement up a high ladder) are not there except in the very rare cases of some of the most successful coworking spaces that can really attract people ready to do their very best at the job for the financial benefits, and the internal motivations that have to do with love of the job, commitment to the community and doing one’s best are just rare, I think, for often part-time, low-paid work. I would guess non-profit coworking spaces and for-profit coworking spaces that do an incredible job developing a strong sense of commitment to the space and its community can find space managers ready to give the job their all without the external motivators (the money or career trajectory), but I think that’s a rare achievement. I think once that’s achieved, those are the places also where you find space members and not just managers getting involved, posting answers and questions to this list, trying to build the movement more generally.

So the challenge for me, who runs a for-profit coworking space–but does it in large part because he’s passionate about the importance of coworking spaces as a kind of human/social capital for freelancers & independent workers–is how to engender that sense of commitment and passion to go above and beyond the formal job requirements and to want to be involved in the Google Group (as an example of going above and beyond the strict job definition more generally), given that the external motivators (income potential, career development) are not overwhelming?

I’d guess this is a challenge for many of us (space owners) and the main reason you don’t see more non-owner space managers actively involved here.

Will

···

Will Bennis
http://en.locusworkspace.cz

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:47:49 AM UTC+2, Adam Teterus wrote:

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

Hey, Ramon! I go to those conferences, too - and I’ll see you again at the upcoming CoworkingEU! :slight_smile: Conferences are wonderful, but by the nature of their magnitude and the tremendous effort involved in making them happen, they’re super infrequent. All that time and space in-between is vast and empty when there’s not a “Google Group” to stay stay in-touch with the folks on the front-line, the employee-paid space managers.

I’m looking for where those folks go in-between conferences, if they do indeed go to conferences. I meet far fewer people like myself (paid steward for the community) than current and prospective owners. And don’t get me wrong, I love talking shop with the business owners and community starters, but there’s a nuanced perspective that goes along with being the person who welcomes people inside and gives them tours and signs them up and listens to their daily worries/hopes/concerns/questions. We focus on a different level, most likely because we’re not as immediately concerned with the serious burdens of keeping the business afloat.

···

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:51:35 AM UTC-4, Ramon Suarez wrote:

We go to coworking conferences like GCUC and Coworking Europe to talk and also build relationships to call each other. I’ve started the Belgian Coworking Unconference to do the same at national level.

Thanks, Will!

how to engender that sense of commitment and passion to go above and beyond the formal job requirements and to want to be involved in the Google Group (as an example of going above and beyond the strict job definition more generally), given that the external motivators (income potential, career development) are not overwhelming?

This. Exactly this. I think you hit the nail on the head, and to your point, there very much is a critical practice of learning to make your employees care as much as you do. Makes total sense, too, because that’s precisely what we ought to be doing for our members: making them care for this community as strongly as possible, as though they themselves own it. In many ways, your members do own it. In just as many ways, the space manager does own it - I own it, and I do my best job possible when I feel that way. I just don’t have my name on any legal documents. :slight_smile:

I have to ask, and this goes to every coworking space owner: if you have a hired gun running the place or helping you run the place, do you explicitly invite that person to participate on the Google Group? What do you offer your hire in terms of training or job help?

···

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:57:16 AM UTC-4, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace wrote:

Adam,

As a space owner and space manager, I could certainly learn as much or more from space managers as from space owners. And I would hope that the space managers would find a happy home in this Google Group, sharing their own knowledge and requesting help/insight from others. We’d all certainly gain a lot, just as we’d gain a lot if there were more coworking space members on this list. Which I suppose begs the question, “Where are all the coworking space members?”

I guess one answer–the less interesting answer–is that most space owners are or once were space managers. Margins are low for most coworking spaces and many of us run one-person or few-person operations. So we managers are here, but we may use the “owner” tag since that sort of trumps the “manager” tag on our business cards :).

But of course most coworking spaces also have non-owner employees &/or managers, so why aren’t they more active on this list? Here’s a potential answer, and in this case it’s the same answer as why there aren’t more coworking-space members on this list. It’s also an answer I’m a little ashamed to give, because it speaks to how far my own coworking space needs to grow as a community and not just as a business providing shared office space and events: most non-owner space-managers, as with most members, are not passionately involved in the world of coworking and in learning about and contributing to that world.

The material incentives/external motivation (large potential salaries, career advancement up a high ladder) are not there except in the very rare cases of some of the most successful coworking spaces that can really attract people ready to do their very best at the job for the financial benefits, and the internal motivations that have to do with love of the job, commitment to the community and doing one’s best are just rare, I think, for often part-time, low-paid work. I would guess non-profit coworking spaces and for-profit coworking spaces that do an incredible job developing a strong sense of commitment to the space and its community can find space managers ready to give the job their all without the external motivators (the money or career trajectory), but I think that’s a rare achievement. I think once that’s achieved, those are the places also where you find space members and not just managers getting involved, posting answers and questions to this list, trying to build the movement more generally.

So the challenge for me, who runs a for-profit coworking space–but does it in large part because he’s passionate about the importance of coworking spaces as a kind of human/social capital for freelancers & independent workers–is how to engender that sense of commitment and passion to go above and beyond the formal job requirements and to want to be involved in the Google Group (as an example of going above and beyond the strict job definition more generally), given that the external motivators (income potential, career development) are not overwhelming?

I’d guess this is a challenge for many of us (space owners) and the main reason you don’t see more non-owner space managers actively involved here.

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

Hi Adam and everyone!

We just opened up our coworking space last week, so I’m wearing all the hats for now. Honestly, I can’t imagine it any other way for the time being. I love getting to know every single person in the community and making sure I do my best to serve them and meet their needs and expectations. Even though we just opened our space, we’ve had a throwing and thriving community for nearly 3 and a half years already.

I run the group with 3 other individuals, and we’ve been using a chat service called Slack for a few months now. We used to have our regular conversations in Facebook but that just got messy and disorganized. Now we just opened up a “team” for the greater group and it’s been awesome. Other companies around us are even starting to adopt the platform for inter-company communication. What if we created a Slack team for Coworking Space management - we can create different channels (basically chat rooms) for all kinds of topics and that can be where we go when we need real-time answers or real-time like-minded company to keep. What do you think?

It’s an invite-only service and it’s free. Check it out at https://slack.com/. I can start up a team if you guys are interested?

···

Melissa Geissinger

President & COO | WIMP LLC

WIMPspace: Cowork * Colearn * Coexist

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Thanks, Will!

how to engender that sense of commitment and passion to go above and beyond the formal job requirements and to want to be involved in the Google Group (as an example of going above and beyond the strict job definition more generally), given that the external motivators (income potential, career development) are not overwhelming?

This. Exactly this. I think you hit the nail on the head, and to your point, there very much is a critical practice of learning to make your employees care as much as you do. Makes total sense, too, because that’s precisely what we ought to be doing for our members: making them care for this community as strongly as possible, as though they themselves own it. In many ways, your members do own it. In just as many ways, the space manager does own it - I own it, and I do my best job possible when I feel that way. I just don’t have my name on any legal documents. :slight_smile:

I have to ask, and this goes to every coworking space owner: if you have a hired gun running the place or helping you run the place, do you explicitly invite that person to participate on the Google Group? What do you offer your hire in terms of training or job help?

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:57:16 AM UTC-4, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace wrote:

Adam,

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

I went ahead and created a Coworking Leadership account for Slack. Since it’s invite only, you actually have to ask to be invited.

For anyone who wants to join:

Email [email protected] and ask to be added to the group
Bookmark https://coworkingleadership.slack.com/

I’ll make everyone who joins an admin so you can also send out invites. On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:17:34 AM UTC-7, Melissa Geissinger wrote:

···

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Hi Adam and everyone!

We just opened up our coworking space last week, so I’m wearing all the hats for now. Honestly, I can’t imagine it any other way for the time being. I love getting to know every single person in the community and making sure I do my best to serve them and meet their needs and expectations. Even though we just opened our space, we’ve had a throwing and thriving community for nearly 3 and a half years already.

I run the group with 3 other individuals, and we’ve been using a chat service called Slack for a few months now. We used to have our regular conversations in Facebook but that just got messy and disorganized. Now we just opened up a “team” for the greater group and it’s been awesome. Other companies around us are even starting to adopt the platform for inter-company communication. What if we created a Slack team for Coworking Space management - we can create different channels (basically chat rooms) for all kinds of topics and that can be where we go when we need real-time answers or real-time like-minded company to keep. What do you think?

It’s an invite-only service and it’s free. Check it out at https://slack.com/. I can start up a team if you guys are interested?

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:46:12 AM UTC-7, Adam Teterus wrote:

Thanks, Will!

Adam,

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

Hey, Melissa! Congrats on opening the clubhouse! it’s especially refreshing to read that you’ve been so cohesive for such a long time prior to moving into a space. That’s really fantastic, and I’m thrilled for you.

I’m absolutely sure that we could talk and learn lots from one another, and I’d love to do that. We use Slack here at Indy Hall, in fact. My understanding of Slack is that it’s a little difficult to swap between teams right now (Indy Hall log-in v. Coworking Group log-in), though I may be building that up into something more difficult than it really is. I’ll hop inside and we can pick-up from here.

I was also thinking that it’d be phenomenal to have a Google Hangout at the end of every week, some forum for connecting with other tummlers and managers and leaders in real time. Realistically, we have an astounding amount of potential tools and platforms, we just have to execute and meet up!

···

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 12:17:34 PM UTC-4, Melissa Geissinger wrote:

Hi Adam and everyone!

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Thanks, Will!

Adam,

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

It’s actually really easy to swap between teams I’ve found. It’s even easy on the mobile app! Send me your email and we can experiment.

And hell yes to Google Hangouts. Let’s do it! Pick a time.

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

···

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:01:10 AM UTC-7, Adam Teterus wrote:

Hey, Melissa! Congrats on opening the clubhouse! it’s especially refreshing to read that you’ve been so cohesive for such a long time prior to moving into a space. That’s really fantastic, and I’m thrilled for you.

I’m absolutely sure that we could talk and learn lots from one another, and I’d love to do that. We use Slack here at Indy Hall, in fact. My understanding of Slack is that it’s a little difficult to swap between teams right now (Indy Hall log-in v. Coworking Group log-in), though I may be building that up into something more difficult than it really is. I’ll hop inside and we can pick-up from here.

I was also thinking that it’d be phenomenal to have a Google Hangout at the end of every week, some forum for connecting with other tummlers and managers and leaders in real time. Realistically, we have an astounding amount of potential tools and platforms, we just have to execute and meet up!

Hi Adam and everyone!

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Thanks, Will!

Adam,

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

Turns out Slack multi-team options just got a lot better, too. A new beta build is out right now that let’s you swap between teams much faster, and with full notifications for all teams in one window. Download it here if you want to join in for the Coworking Leadership Slack that Melissa started!

···

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:05:41 PM UTC-4, Melissa Geissinger wrote:

It’s actually really easy to swap between teams I’ve found. It’s even easy on the mobile app! Send me your email and we can experiment.

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Hi Adam and everyone!

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Thanks, Will!

Adam,

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

we love Slack. <3

Chad Ballantyne

ch…@thecreativespace.ca

Barrie’s Coworking Community

Perfect for small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.

12 Dunlop St E, Barrie Ontario, L4M 1A3

Memberships start at $25/mth

www.thecreativespace.ca

705-812-0689

···

On Sep 10, 2014, at 11:54 AM, Adam Teterus [email protected] wrote:

Turns out Slack multi-team options just got a lot better, too. A new beta build is out right now that let’s you swap between teams much faster, and with full notifications for all teams in one window. Download it here if you want to join in for the Coworking Leadership Slack that Melissa started!

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Hi Adam and everyone!

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Thanks, Will!

Adam,

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

Chad - I’ll send over an invite then! I’m making everybody an admin so we can all send invites.

···

Melissa Geissinger

President & COO | [              WIMP

LLC](http://www.beawimp.org)

[              WIMPspace: Cowork *

Colearn * Coexist](http://www.wimpspace.com)

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

we love Slack. <3

Chad Ballantyne

ch…@thecreativespace.ca

Barrie’s Coworking Community

Perfect for small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.

12 Dunlop St E, Barrie Ontario, L4M 1A3

Memberships start at $25/mth

www.thecreativespace.ca

705-812-0689

On Sep 10, 2014, at 11:54 AM, Adam Teterus [email protected] wrote:

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Hi Adam and everyone!

Melissa Geissinger

p 707 827 1334 x1

c 707 888 0225

Thanks, Will!

Adam,

Will

Will Bennis

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

Hey Adam!

Thank you for putting this out there. I’m the operations manager/ community foster-er/ coffee maker/problem solver/ non-owner at Link. I’m part of the Austin Office Managers group. The collective wisdom and experience in the group is amazing, but a coworking oriented group would be the bees knees. Please invite me to the Slack group and google hangout.

···

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:47:49 PM UTC-5, Adam Teterus wrote:

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

So glad this resonates, Lindsey. I’m really looking forward to having a network of folks to talk with on a more regular basis. We all have so much to learn from one another just by sharing war stories, as it were. I’ll get you on into the Slack team!

···

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:27:27 PM UTC-4, Lindsey Rima wrote:

Hey Adam!

Thank you for putting this out there. I’m the operations manager/ community foster-er/ coffee maker/problem solver/ non-owner at Link. I’m part of the Austin Office Managers group. The collective wisdom and experience in the group is amazing, but a coworking oriented group would be the bees knees. Please invite me to the Slack group and google hangout.

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

The existing group for managers is at https://opencoworking.groupbuzz.io/

···

Ramon Suarez
Serendipity Accelerator, Betacowork
Author: http://coworkinghandbook.com
email & hangouts: [email protected]

Phone: +3227376769

GSM: +32497556284

Twitter:http://twitter.com/ramonsuarez

Try coworking: http://betacowork.com

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Adam Teterus [email protected] wrote:

So glad this resonates, Lindsey. I’m really looking forward to having a network of folks to talk with on a more regular basis. We all have so much to learn from one another just by sharing war stories, as it were. I’ll get you on into the Slack team!

Hey Adam!

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/TKWCKxHlHE0/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Ramon, that group is actually specifically for organizing OpenCoworking (http://opencoworking.org/) related efforts. That certainly could (and should!) include space managers, owners, and members, but I think that its goals are broader than space managers helping each other.

-Alex

···

Ramon Suarez
Serendipity Accelerator, Betacowork
Author: http://coworkinghandbook.com
email & hangouts: [email protected]

Phone: +3227376769

GSM: +32497556284

Twitter:http://twitter.com/ramonsuarez

Try coworking: http://betacowork.com

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Adam Teterus [email protected] wrote:

Hey Adam!

Hey, all. I’m Adam.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/TKWCKxHlHE0/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].