Self bar

Hi everybody, how many of you have within the coworking a small self-bar? how do you manage it? is it profitable? because we have one in our coworking space but actually the bills at the end of the month are never found. we always have a shortfall in considerable cash, a clear sign that many of our customers do not pay what they take. How many of you have the same problem? proposals to try to solve without being too demanding in the eyes of customers?

Hi Andrea,

That’s sad to hear you are getting a short fall. We definitely where with our previous help yourself bar! But now we do two things that have fixed this:

1. it is right bang in the middle of our cowork space, so anyone that was thinking about taking something without paying will feel less inclined to

2. I installed an ipad on the wall, and an Izettle card machine next to it. Although it is not made for this, it is a great way to do it as everyone has a card or contactless tech on them these days. Previously people would put an I OWE YOU note as they didnt have the cash. I just show people how to use it on their introduction tour and it solved our issues :slight_smile:

Does that help?

···

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 8:57:36 PM UTC+1, Andrea Di Lascio wrote:

Hi everybody, how many of you have within the coworking a small self-bar? how do you manage it? is it profitable? because we have one in our coworking space but actually the bills at the end of the month are never found. we always have a shortfall in considerable cash, a clear sign that many of our customers do not pay what they take. How many of you have the same problem? proposals to try to solve without being too demanding in the eyes of customers?

I thought about having a self bar, but didn’t know how to handle the cash flow part of it where I didn’t come out on the loosing end. What I have done is included snacks/fruit into the membership fees. So far so good.

Wendy

···

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:57 PM
To: Coworking
Subject: [Coworking] Self bar

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

We told members we have a budget amount for snacks and when that’s gone, there isn’t more until next month. If they want more and/or better snacks, they are encouraged to put some money in the snack fund jar. We have a sticker on the jar with our Square Cash ID if members want to contribute electronically. We also have an iPad kiosk running Square for members to pay for extra days or for guests. Our members asked to have an item added to the Square kiosk for snacks so they can contribute there without having to get the Cash app. Having payment options for everyone helps keep the snack fund stocked.

Being transparent with how much we were spending on snacks helped get members into the habit of contributing for what they take. When they didn’t know where the money went, they assumed we were spending way less than we actually were.

Glen Ferguson

Phone: 301-732-5165

Email: [email protected]

Address: 122 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701

···

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Wendy [email protected] wrote:

I thought about having a self bar, but didn’t know how to handle the cash flow part of it where I didn’t come out on the loosing end. What I have done is included snacks/fruit into the membership fees. So far so good.

Wendy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:57 PM
To: Coworking
Subject: [Coworking] Self bar

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

This is great advice Matt.

it reminds me that we currently host a “vending machine” from a company that serves fresh salads in jars. We thought it was weird but they literally can’t keep the fridge stocked fast enough!

I put “vending machine” in quotes cuz it’s just a glass front fridge. The payment part is an honor system for their jars - and I’m talking $11 salads! - and by making it easy to pay with one of a couple of popular mobile payment options (Venmo, PayPal, etc).

Nice thing about that is there is no additional equipment for you, and even if they have to walk all the way back to their desk to get their phone, they don’t even have to go back to a machine to swipe the card.

I know that isn’t their long term plan, but I’ve been impressed at the value of lowering payment friction and making it clear that the products aren’t free. :slight_smile:

That said, I wouldn’t be so quick to do something like this in a space that has lots of public foot traffic or transient usage. So consider your audience!

Alex

···

On Jul 5, 2018, 10:50 AM -0400, ma...@deskcowork.co.uk, wrote:

Hi Andrea,

That's sad to hear you are getting a short fall. We definitely where with our previous help yourself bar! But now we do two things that have fixed this:

1) it is right bang in the middle of our cowork space, so anyone that was thinking about taking something without paying will feel less inclined to
2) I installed an ipad on the wall, and an Izettle card machine next to it. Although it is not made for this, it is a great way to do it as everyone has a card or contactless tech on them these days. Previously people would put an I OWE YOU note as they didnt have the cash. I just show people how to use it on their introduction tour and it solved our issues :slight_smile:

Does that help?

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 8:57:36 PM UTC+1, Andrea Di Lascio wrote:
> Hi everybody, how many of you have within the coworking a small self-bar? how do you manage it? is it profitable? because we have one in our coworking space but actually the bills at the end of the month are never found. we always have a shortfall in considerable cash, a clear sign that many of our customers do not pay what they take. How many of you have the same problem? proposals to try to solve without being too demanding in the eyes of customers?
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.