Retrofitting Office Doors

The space we’ve just leased has offices intact but they are windowless so adding glass to the doors is crucial. Has anyone had luck having large glass lites put into existing office doors? Or would it be more economical to add large glass sidelites in the wall next to the door? We don’t have a huge budget but I think this is going to be the most expensive part of the upfit!

Its really a choice of asthetics. However I suggest sidelights. Mostly because overtime the doors will need replacing, Nick’s cracks, and so on that cant be hidden.

If you choose the doors have someone come and make sure they are not hollow cores and that indeed you can install glass. (Some really old buildings have doors that dont meet fire code)

85% of our 50 offices are exterior with windows but the ones that are interior have sidelights or hall facing windows.

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)
Https://Growthli.com

© Growthli | A Place To Learn, Grow, & Office™

ATTENTION: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

···

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018, 1:02 PM <[email protected] wrote:

The space we’ve just leased has offices intact but they are windowless so adding glass to the doors is crucial. Has anyone had luck having large glass lites put into existing office doors? Or would it be more economical to add large glass sidelites in the wall next to the door? We don’t have a huge budget but I think this is going to be the most expensive part of the upfit!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thanks! Good point about wear and tear. I do think sidelights might be simplier- just relocating some electrical.

···

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 2:13:59 PM UTC-4, Joshua Webb wrote:

Its really a choice of asthetics. However I suggest sidelights. Mostly because overtime the doors will need replacing, Nick’s cracks, and so on that cant be hidden.

If you choose the doors have someone come and make sure they are not hollow cores and that indeed you can install glass. (Some really old buildings have doors that dont meet fire code)

85% of our 50 offices are exterior with windows but the ones that are interior have sidelights or hall facing windows.

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)

ATTENTION: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

I really think that replacing the door with a glass/ part glass alternative would be far more cost-effective than building in a sidelight.

The labour component for replacing doors should be far less than moving electrical and installing a sidelight, and the materials in both scenarios would be aprox the same.

Caveat: I have worked in construction for 7 years then DIY’ed my coworking space for the next 7, but my experience is from Sydney Australia, and I know that North America has some different approaches to building.

Carl, Your Desk

···

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 6:18:37 AM UTC+11, [email protected] wrote:

Thanks! Good point about wear and tear. I do think sidelights might be simplier- just relocating some electrical.

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 2:13:59 PM UTC-4, Joshua Webb wrote:

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)