Providing event spaces for rent that are separate from main co-working space?

We’re opening a co working space in Antigua, Guatemala and we’re wondering about the following:

We have access to event venues that are separate from our co-working space, to rent them out at no cost. We’re thinking that having these additional spaces to rent would add value by allowing us to host events at the same times as well as offerings venues that accommodate more people.

We’d be interested in hearing from others, learning from your experiences, on the pros and cons of doing this. Any co-working spaces doing this?

Any input much appreciated!

(on a separate post I asked the same question regarding off-site private office rentals)

Hi Mark,

I am opening up a coworking space soon in Hyderabad, India. I have some terrace space adjoining the work zone and I am planning on renting it out to outsiders when available (i.e. when not being used by members). I am planning to charge them on an hourly basis. A good start might be some motivational sessions, pottery classes and during the early hours, maybe even to yoga classes.

You would be earning additional revenue and also creating a learning environment. However, you need to check it into whether it is of any disturbance to the co-workers! Still to test my space for such usage!

Cheers
Raghuveer Kovuru
Founder
Co.Lab.Orate
Hyderabad, India.

···

On Thursday, 12 June 2014 01:38:19 UTC+5:30, Mark Jacobson wrote:

We’re opening a co working space in Antigua, Guatemala and we’re wondering about the following:

We have access to event venues that are separate from our co-working space, to rent them out at no cost. We’re thinking that having these additional spaces to rent would add value by allowing us to host events at the same times as well as offerings venues that accommodate more people.

We’d be interested in hearing from others, learning from your experiences, on the pros and cons of doing this. Any co-working spaces doing this?

(on a separate post I asked the same question regarding off-site private office rentals)

Hey Mark,

It’s a great idea!!!

We have an event space on the floor above our coworking space, and it adds a huge value to our coworkers to use that for big presentations, formal meetings or even launch parties. You can hold your own events in there aimed at entrepreneurs, which also promotes your brand. Lastly, people pay way more for an event space than you would think (especially if you have a view) and it can be a good cash cow to rent out when your people aren’t using it internally.

The downside is that you are then running two businesses. I’ve noticed that spending my time trying to boost revenue by taking people on tours of the event space distracts me from focusing on my coworkers needs. Especially because this is a totally separate market. However, it tends not to sell itself and paying the electricity and rent on the extra space requires that business to keep it cost-functional.

It’s all up to you and how much time you have!

Kate

···

On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:08:19 PM UTC-4, Mark Jacobson wrote:

Now you got it! You are on the right track to moving forward in a manner to both deliver coworking services / experience and keep your doors open…

···

On Jun 19, 2014 1:34 PM, “Raghuveer Kovuru” [email protected] wrote:

Hi Mark,

I am opening up a coworking space soon in Hyderabad, India. I have some terrace space adjoining the work zone and I am planning on renting it out to outsiders when available (i.e. when not being used by members). I am planning to charge them on an hourly basis. A good start might be some motivational sessions, pottery classes and during the early hours, maybe even to yoga classes.

You would be earning additional revenue and also creating a learning environment. However, you need to check it into whether it is of any disturbance to the co-workers! Still to test my space for such usage!

Cheers

Raghuveer Kovuru
Founder
Co.Lab.Orate
Hyderabad, India.

On Thursday, 12 June 2014 01:38:19 UTC+5:30, Mark Jacobson wrote:

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.