I’m located in Seattle, which is a COVID-19 hotspot in the U.S. Since we’re among the earliest affected areas in the country, I wanted to share our experience in case it is helpful for your preparations.
Last week, we developed a Continuity of Operations Plan. This is helpful in two ways. First, it made us think about what our plan for several possible scenarios; and second, our plan can be shared with our community, who is now informed what will happen and how they can help in those scenarios.
Scenarios we planned for include:
• A member is confirmed sick with COVID-19
• Someone exhibits symptoms in the space
• A staff member is unavailable or quarantined
• All staff are unavailable
• Public schools are closed
Operational changes we planned for include:
• Intensify regular cleanings
• Deep clean/sanitize, if/when called for
• Limited hours or operations
• Partial or full closure
• Who in the community can be recruited to assist if staff is not available.
We used this document from our county health department to help us, which I recommend.
Hopefully we won’t have to rely on our continuity plan, but I’m glad we made it and are prepared. I hope this can help others as well.
If you have anything else that would help plan for business disruption due to pandemic, I’d love to hear. Stay healthy!