Partnership agreement (BEAHIVE is expanding)

Esteemed coworking colleagues… need some advice.

I think I’ve hinted in a previous post that we might be expanding up the river. So we indeed are, partnering with Luminary Publishing — which publishes a popular Hudson Valley arts/culture/spirit glossy magazine called Chronogram — to populate another BEAHIVE in Kingston, the third oldest city in New York and our first state capital.

This partnership will grow our community and our impact, helping us to realize our larger vision. Chronogram nourishes and supports the creative and cultural life of the Hudson Valley — much as we’ve been contributing to the creative, cultural and professional life of Beacon.

We need to draft an agreement, and I’m looking for some examples and also just some things to consider.

Basically, they’re providing the space and their name and network and I’m providing the name and model and ongoing support and planning (events, programs, etc.). We’re both working to get it up and running and then we’ll both manage it. Need to figure out the details of that and how to split up expenses and revenues beyond the monthly space rental.

Anyone have an agreement to share confidentially? Or just some general thoughts?

Thanks,

scott.

SCOTT TILLITT

PR yogi & writer

[ [email protected] / 917.449.6356 ]

BEAHIVE

collaborative community workspace / join the hive. engage.

[ www.beahivebeacon.com / www.twitter.com/BEAHIVE ]

ANTIDOTE COLLECTIVE

socially conscious communications / apply liberally.

[ www.antidotecollective.org ]

• – - t h i n k / f e e l - – -

…an idea or product that deserves the label ‘creative’ arises from the synergy of many sources and not only from the mind of a single person.” (Mihaly Csikszentmihaly)

Hey Scott,
First, congratulations on the expansion and the great choice of town.
My wife and I have been to Kingston many times on antiquing
expeditions and have had, what we're still to this day, calling the
best lunch ever, in Kingston.

That said, we're going down the same path with our Coworking space in
NJ. We're partnering with Kean University and setting up our Coworking
space on their campus. The agreement is being drafted and I haven't
got anything formal yet to share, but when I do I certainly will. Our
agreement is similar in that they are providing the space to us for
free until we're at a sustainable capacity and then we're going to be
paying a great rate that we've negotiated. The agreement will ensure
that we have autonomy from the University to operate as a cooperative
community, and as a business, but will also ensure that we have their
support with technology, improvements to the space, events, and of
course student collaboration.

I'll keep you posted as we should have a first draft in the coming
week or two.

Best,
Steve

···

On Oct 2, 1:17 pm, Scott Tillitt / BEAHIVE <[email protected]> wrote:

Esteemed coworking colleagues... need some advice.

I think I've hinted in a previous post that we might be expanding up
the river. So we indeed are, partnering with Luminary Publishing —
which publishes a popular Hudson Valley arts/culture/spirit glossy
magazine called Chronogram — to populate another BEAHIVE in Kingston,
the third oldest city in New York and our first state capital.

This partnership will grow our community and our impact, helping us to
realize our larger vision. Chronogram nourishes and supports the
creative and cultural life of the Hudson Valley — much as we've been
contributing to the creative, cultural and professional life of Beacon.

We need to draft an agreement, and I'm looking for some examples and
also just some things to consider.

Basically, they're providing the space and their name and network and
I'm providing the name and model and ongoing support and planning
(events, programs, etc.). We're both working to get it up and running
and then we'll both manage it. Need to figure out the details of that
and how to split up expenses and revenues beyond the monthly space
rental.

Anyone have an agreement to share confidentially? Or just some general
thoughts?

Thanks,
scott.

- -- -
SCOTT TILLITT
PR yogi & writer
[ sc...@beahivebeacon.com / 917.449.6356 ]

BEAHIVE
[www.beahivebeacon.com / www.twitter.com/BEAHIVE]

ANTIDOTE COLLECTIVE
[www.antidotecollective.org]

- -- - t h i n k / f e e l - -- -
...an idea or product that deserves the label 'creative' arises from
the synergy of many sources and not only from the mind of a single
person.” (Mihaly Csikszentmihaly)

Basically, they're providing the space and their name and network and I'm
providing the name and model and ongoing support and planning (events,
programs, etc.). We're both working to get it up and running and then we'll
both manage it. Need to figure out the details of that and how to split up
expenses and revenues beyond the monthly space rental.
Anyone have an agreement to share confidentially? Or just some general
thoughts?

I am not a lawyer but I do a large amount of contract drafting. As a
rule of thumb if either party has to resort to looking at the
agreement for enforcement you are all screwed.

I would draft a 'one pager' that puts the parties obligations and
income/cost sharing into and the process for starting and the key bit,
dissolving this partnership.

···

--
Steven Heath
Director, Foxbane Consulting
Founder, AltSpace
Cell: +64 21 706-067
www.foxbane.co.nz
Level 22
Plimmer Towers
2 Gilmer Terrace
Wellington

AltSpace.co.nz - Shared office space in Wellington for home based
workers, freelancers, or nimble companies

Hello Scott,

I was wondering if you ever found an answer to this. I am currently in the same situation you were in 2009 and I will be presenting my partnership proposal to a building owner late next week, I was wondering if you have any advice or can provide an example of your partnership agreement for me to review to assist me in drafting my proposal? I have reached out to a few groups and have gotten a few suggestion but I would love to see and example of what has actually worked out to be a successful partnership.

Thanks for your time in advance and any information you can provide would help tremendously!

···

On Friday, October 2, 2009 at 10:17:34 AM UTC-7, Scott Tillitt / BEAHIVE wrote:

I think I’ve hinted in a previous post that we might be expanding up the river. So we indeed are, partnering with Luminary Publishing — which publishes a popular Hudson Valley arts/culture/spirit glossy magazine called Chronogram — to populate another BEAHIVE in Kingston, the third oldest city in New York and our first state capital.

We need to draft an agreement, and I’m looking for some examples and also just some things to consider.

Basically, they’re providing the space and their name and network and I’m providing the name and model and ongoing support and planning (events, programs, etc.). We’re both working to get it up and running and then we’ll both manage it. Need to figure out the details of that and how to split up expenses and revenues beyond the monthly space rental.

Anyone have an agreement to share confidentially? Or just some general thoughts?

Thanks,

scott.

SCOTT TILLITT

PR yogi & writer

BEAHIVE

ANTIDOTE COLLECTIVE

…an idea or product that deserves the label ‘creative’ arises from the synergy of many sources and not only from the mind of a single person.” (Mihaly Csikszentmihaly)

This partnership will grow our community and our impact, helping us to realize our larger vision. Chronogram nourishes and supports the creative and cultural life of the Hudson Valley — much as we’ve been contributing to the creative, cultural and professional life of Beacon.

Katrina,

Did you have any luck with your partnership agreement? That is what I am up to these days and would love your advice.

Thanks,

Patti

···

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 2:45:08 AM UTC-4, Katrina wrote:

Hello Scott,

I was wondering if you ever found an answer to this. I am currently in the same situation you were in 2009 and I will be presenting my partnership proposal to a building owner late next week, I was wondering if you have any advice or can provide an example of your partnership agreement for me to review to assist me in drafting my proposal? I have reached out to a few groups and have gotten a few suggestion but I would love to see and example of what has actually worked out to be a successful partnership.

Thanks for your time in advance and any information you can provide would help tremendously!

On Friday, October 2, 2009 at 10:17:34 AM UTC-7, Scott Tillitt / BEAHIVE wrote:

Thanks,

scott.

SCOTT TILLITT

PR yogi & writer

BEAHIVE

ANTIDOTE COLLECTIVE

I’m looking for examples of partnership agreements.

I currently run one space, and I’ve been approached by multiple landlords who would like to put spaces in their buildings, typically a historic building in a small walkable downtown that is still inexpensive.

The idea is to create an ownership structure where the landlord puts in some capital, I put in consulting time to help set up the new business, and then find someone to hire and train to manage and eventually own the space.

Has anyone seen or done some version of this?

Who will eventually own the space?

···

On Jan 3, 2019, at 2:28 PM, Liz Trice [email protected] wrote:

I’m looking for examples of partnership agreements.

I currently run one space, and I’ve been approached by multiple landlords who would like to put spaces in their buildings, typically a historic building in a small walkable downtown that is still inexpensive.

The idea is to create an ownership structure where the landlord puts in some capital, I put in consulting time to help set up the new business, and then find someone to hire and train to manage and eventually own the space.

Has anyone seen or done some version of this?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Yes, we are starting to do something similar this year. Do you have any specific questions?

www.johnsoncorner.nz/landlords

Adnan

···

ngā mihi

Adnan Belushi

Head of Growth and Partnerships

Johnson Corner

johnsoncorner.nz

Mobile +64 27 4640906

Phone 06 758 2050

I'm not sure who should eventually own the space. Ideally we can find and train someone who will act like an owner and be successful, but if they aren't successful we would want to be able to buy it back and try with someone else. I want advice on how to set up the ownership structure with that in mind.
This project is taking place in a depressed rural market with access to great recreation resources as an economic development strategy so it's not something that would be attractive from a strict business perspective, so we would be looking for someone with a commitment to the local community and desire and ability to stick with it, and we're willing to raise some money to support that.
For the landlord it's a long term investment in the growth of the town economy.
I should be clear that I actually have a few different projects here, some are in more depressed small towns and some are in town's that are closer to the centers of commerce. The more rural towns have access to more grant money.