Opening a coworking space where the landlord is a web design agency

I’m considering opening a coworking space where the landlord is a web design agency who work in an adjacent office. The offices are separate but the communal areas, kitchen, entrance, meeting room will be shared.

Initially, I thought this would be great because of friendly landlord and potential for ‘synergy’. However, a couple of people have raised concerns about this, particularly if clients were to move from agency to coworking freelancer or vice versa, and have said that the agency might be looking for ‘cheap labour’. I’m not sure they are but it’s a concern some people have.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of arrangement? If yes, how is it working?

Many thanks for any suggestions, comments, advice.

Hello Clive,

Yes, at first this seemed like an awesome idea as some of your members might need a web design, and the agency might collaborate with some of your creative coworkers.

My example would be a British council business center that opened within our coworking space (in my previous job). And it was awkward for our existing members to understand what’s going on. Unfortunately, we acted as two separate communities where our members never spoke to their members and vice versa. This had a very negative impact on our culture.

I still think it’s a good idea, as long as you and the landlord have an agreement and an understanding. it would also help if the landlord has an interest in your business, and cares for its success. And as long as your members and their agents have a similar mindset and can mix in well together.

Hope that helps.

Aya Douba

Clive,

Most coworking spaces that started pre 2012 were started because an agency or small company wanted a coworking culture and community to be apart of. The company was already going to sign a lease so they figured they would add an extra thousand or two on. It worked out. That’s because the company wanted to be part of a coworking community.

My question to you is: Does the web design company want to be part of a coworking community?

If so, move forward. It works.

Thanks for your comments.

The web design agency would be supportive of the coworking community and I’m sure we would be friends. But the two companies would be operating independently. The offices are adjacent with common kitchen and entrance areas but they are separate… so the agency would not be part of the coworking community, other than as landlord and friends.

···

On Monday, 19 September 2016 13:54:58 UTC+1, Clive Walker wrote:

I’m considering opening a coworking space where the landlord is a web design agency who work in an adjacent office. The offices are separate but the communal areas, kitchen, entrance, meeting room will be shared.

Initially, I thought this would be great because of friendly landlord and potential for ‘synergy’. However, a couple of people have raised concerns about this, particularly if clients were to move from agency to coworking freelancer or vice versa, and have said that the agency might be looking for ‘cheap labour’. I’m not sure they are but it’s a concern some people have.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of arrangement? If yes, how is it working?

I’d recommend that a few of your members or potential members go to lunch with a few of the employees of the agency. See if the chemistry is good and go from there.
Angel

···

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:54:58 AM UTC-6, Clive Walker wrote: