Now that pot is legal in many states

Hey All! This might be a sticky topic. I searched for past conversations about this and couldn’t find any. I have a Coworking space in Colorado that I opened 3 years ago. With the legalization of recreational marijuana I have had a few people that work in the industry apply to become a member. I am curious if any of you have run into this and if 1. you have a policy 2. if it has become an issue. I know there are a lot of opinions out there. I also know that this group is international and I am not quite sure what other country’s laws are. What I am looking for is if there has been any impact to your community. Thanks so much for your help!

Hey Jen, just popping in with my own 2 cents.

Although many of the countries I’ve worked in/with coworking spaces don’t have legalised marijuana, and sometimes even the opposite, I think of it as ‘alcohol’ in a way.

When working from a coworking space in London, the team next to me ran a 24/7 alcohol delivery service, but they were never found to be passed out on their desks after a long night of drinking.

I think if you treat the consumption of pot like you would smoking, excessive drinking or even something silly like hula-hooping, in a fair and community-acceptable way, it should sit nicely with both past and future customers.

(And as the protector of your community, you’re allowed to turn away, or redirect customers who wouldn’t be the right fit for your space. Just like you might not want a youtube ‘vlogger’ who pulls impolite pranks on people around them all day, working from within your space; or someone selling timeshares/MLM/etc)

Hope that helps in some way :slight_smile:

···

On Monday, 9 April 2018 16:11:56 UTC-4, Jen Thoemke wrote:

Hey All! This might be a sticky topic. I searched for past conversations about this and couldn’t find any. I have a Coworking space in Colorado that I opened 3 years ago. With the legalization of recreational marijuana I have had a few people that work in the industry apply to become a member. I am curious if any of you have run into this and if 1. you have a policy 2. if it has become an issue. I know there are a lot of opinions out there. I also know that this group is international and I am not quite sure what other country’s laws are. What I am looking for is if there has been any impact to your community. Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks Hector! I appreciate your response.

···

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 1:56:51 PM UTC-6, Hector Kolonas wrote:

Hey Jen, just popping in with my own 2 cents.

Although many of the countries I’ve worked in/with coworking spaces don’t have legalised marijuana, and sometimes even the opposite, I think of it as ‘alcohol’ in a way.

When working from a coworking space in London, the team next to me ran a 24/7 alcohol delivery service, but they were never found to be passed out on their desks after a long night of drinking.

I think if you treat the consumption of pot like you would smoking, excessive drinking or even something silly like hula-hooping, in a fair and community-acceptable way, it should sit nicely with both past and future customers.

(And as the protector of your community, you’re allowed to turn away, or redirect customers who wouldn’t be the right fit for your space. Just like you might not want a youtube ‘vlogger’ who pulls impolite pranks on people around them all day, working from within your space; or someone selling timeshares/MLM/etc)

Hope that helps in some way :slight_smile:

On Monday, 9 April 2018 16:11:56 UTC-4, Jen Thoemke wrote:

420 friendly co-working could be an interesting business for those that enjoy it.

In California we are just starting to sort out rules for public consumption, not sure where co-working spaces would fall on the public/private spectrum legally speaking. San Francisco is going ot license public consumption venues but in San Jose CA where I am the rules are not yet defined.

I’ve had an interest in this for some time TBH.

Regards,

Peter

···

On Monday, April 9, 2018, 1:11:53 PM PDT, Jen Thoemke [email protected] wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hey Jen,

There is a pot focused coworking space in Denver called Cultivated Synergy. You should chat with them.

I have done research for a consulting client looking to start a marijuana focused coworking in another state. In my research I found a few companies that are expanding across state lines and joining coworking spaces. They are growing just like any other startup and small business.

The only thing I would caution are events.