Noob intro

Hey group!

My name is Kevin Haggerty. I'm 37 years old and live in Gloucester, Virginia. Our city has approximately 30k people in it, and it is located between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach.

A month ago, after five years in the ministry, and for a variety of reasons I won't go into here, I stepped down as Executive Pastor of a church.

My background actually isn't in ministry, rather, it is in web and graphic design.

So, after stepping down, I went back to what I know, which is designing websites.

I started off working from home, but I have two toddlers and a newborn at home, so, yeah, no go.

I tried the library, Starbucks, etc, etc, and you all have obviously been down that road which is what led you here.

A month ago, I'd never even heard of coworking. Now, in fairly obsessed with the idea of it.

My community doesn't have a coworking space. The closest one is 45 minutes away. I think it'd be great for our community, but I just am not totally sure how to go about it.

I've ravenously digested Alex's blog posts and videos. I've watched every video on the CoHo YouTube channel. I've watched and listened to hours of Jerome talking about coworking space and arrangement. I've read just about every post on this group forum (which is amazing, btw). I've amassed at least 100 hours of research, just in the last month.

I started a Facebook page (www.Facebook.com/coworkGloucesterVA) to generate interest. So far, I have six people who have said they'd be serious about joining, and I've added them to an email list. I'm working on planning a meetup soon where we can all get to know each other and talk possibilities.

Additionally, I've begun scouting locations. Here is the rundown:

- There is an old historic house on our Main Street that was recently purchased by some friends of mine. It's two stories, and they are interested in renting out the top story for dedicated office space and letting me operate a coworking space on the first floor. The first floor has a small kitchen, a bathroom, a small office, a room that could be a conference room, a 10x30 room that would be good for open coworking, then a smaller 10x20 room that could work for more partitioned and quieter space. There's also decent parking out back, and the building is in the thick of downtown, so lots to do nearby. The owners are interested in essentially charging me a percentage based on how many I have in the building, and not a set rent rate. They'd also help with the build-out costs, if not incur them entirely. It's less risky, but it means I still essentially work for syndrome and don't really have ownership, and there also isn't much room to grow.

- There is a 3600 sqft unit in a nearby shopping center. It is pretty much a blank slate, and I could do a lot with it. The shopping center it resides in is growing and would be a good place to be. The lease is $2100/month, which is cheap considering the space, but I don't have any capital, and I haven't had time to do any fundraising yet.

- There are a couple other spaces simular to the one mentioned above.

- I've also spoken to a man with the local economic development foundation, and he's told me about an old historic, 4500 sqft building on Main Street that used to be a law office. He was unclear as to really why he brought it up and if he thinks we'd be able to use it. What he was clear on was that he needs to see a financial plan from me. I have a business plan, but a financial plan on a coworking space seems difficult to me. All I can think to do is give him my pricing model and some different scenarios based on how full the building is and what types of memberships could theoretically be purchased.

I've led organizations before and am comfortable leading. I think this idea is a good one and something our community needs.

I just don't know what to do next, and I could really use some direction.

I'm sorry for the novel.

I appreciate the feedback in advance.

Thanks!

-Kevin

Hi Kevin. Welcome to the group!

…and thanks for listening to me go on and one about layouts. Despite the physicality of the industry, very little about this is actually discussed, aside from a few tips about knick knacks: power strips, sound panels, etc.

My knee jerk reaction is go w/ the Main Street house. It’s lower risk, and if you blow up, great, then go expand to another larger site or add a 2nd location. I think you’ll be able to test the strength of your community in a lower risk space because as you can imagine, converting interest to dollars is the real test. Then also testing your operating skills, learning what really can work, etc…

As for the financials, it seems like you’ve figured out the sales forecast. Add an expense/operating cost forecast and you have a pro forma. Keep it to 1 page and others might actually read and understand it. I wouldn’t bother beyond 5 years of forecast. Beyond 3 is already speculative but 5 is more standard despite the speculation.

Feel free to reach out.

JEROME CHANG

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

WEST: Santa Monica | 1450 2nd St (@Broadway)

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)

EAST: Downtown | 529 S. Broadway, Ste 4000 (@Pershing Square)

···

On Mar 27, 2017, at 7:05 AM, Kevin Haggerty [email protected] wrote:

Hey group!

My name is Kevin Haggerty. I’m 37 years old and live in Gloucester, Virginia. Our city has approximately 30k people in it, and it is located between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach.

A month ago, after five years in the ministry, and for a variety of reasons I won’t go into here, I stepped down as Executive Pastor of a church.

My background actually isn’t in ministry, rather, it is in web and graphic design.

So, after stepping down, I went back to what I know, which is designing websites.

I started off working from home, but I have two toddlers and a newborn at home, so, yeah, no go.

I tried the library, Starbucks, etc, etc, and you all have obviously been down that road which is what led you here.

A month ago, I’d never even heard of coworking. Now, in fairly obsessed with the idea of it.

My community doesn’t have a coworking space. The closest one is 45 minutes away. I think it’d be great for our community, but I just am not totally sure how to go about it.

I’ve ravenously digested Alex’s blog posts and videos. I’ve watched every video on the CoHo YouTube channel. I’ve watched and listened to hours of Jerome talking about coworking space and arrangement. I’ve read just about every post on this group forum (which is amazing, btw). I’ve amassed at least 100 hours of research, just in the last month.

I started a Facebook page (www.Facebook.com/coworkGloucesterVA) to generate interest. So far, I have six people who have said they’d be serious about joining, and I’ve added them to an email list. I’m working on planning a meetup soon where we can all get to know each other and talk possibilities.

Additionally, I’ve begun scouting locations. Here is the rundown:

• There is an old historic house on our Main Street that was recently purchased by some friends of mine. It’s two stories, and they are interested in renting out the top story for dedicated office space and letting me operate a coworking space on the first floor. The first floor has a small kitchen, a bathroom, a small office, a room that could be a conference room, a 10x30 room that would be good for open coworking, then a smaller 10x20 room that could work for more partitioned and quieter space. There’s also decent parking out back, and the building is in the thick of downtown, so lots to do nearby. The owners are interested in essentially charging me a percentage based on how many I have in the building, and not a set rent rate. They’d also help with the build-out costs, if not incur them entirely. It’s less risky, but it means I still essentially work for syndrome and don’t really have ownership, and there also isn’t much room to grow.

• There is a 3600 sqft unit in a nearby shopping center. It is pretty much a blank slate, and I could do a lot with it. The shopping center it resides in is growing and would be a good place to be. The lease is $2100/month, which is cheap considering the space, but I don’t have any capital, and I haven’t had time to do any fundraising yet.

• There are a couple other spaces simular to the one mentioned above.

• I’ve also spoken to a man with the local economic development foundation, and he’s told me about an old historic, 4500 sqft building on Main Street that used to be a law office. He was unclear as to really why he brought it up and if he thinks we’d be able to use it. What he was clear on was that he needs to see a financial plan from me. I have a business plan, but a financial plan on a coworking space seems difficult to me. All I can think to do is give him my pricing model and some different scenarios based on how full the building is and what types of memberships could theoretically be purchased.

I’ve led organizations before and am comfortable leading. I think this idea is a good one and something our community needs.

I just don’t know what to do next, and I could really use some direction.

I’m sorry for the novel.

Thanks!

-Kevin

–
Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Welcome, Kevin!

Sounds like your Meetup is a great opportunity to gauge interest.

While you might have ideas in mind for the kind of location you’d like to have, you can’t yet know what the actual market wants.

If at all possible, try to visit some locations or at least have photos and floor plans available of your favorite spots during/before/after your Meetup. I like touring a space and then having the Meetup right afterward so we can all discuss the possibilities over drinks.

You can also consider the timeline. you don’t want to lease a space before you’ve built up sufficient interest to ensure you can justify the risk, and that may take some time to achieve, so some of these options may drop off just by virtue of that.

Please keep us posted on how it goes!

Tony

···

New Work Cities • Coworking.org

Next mastermind group for new space owners kicks off in April! Learn more

Inline image 8http://twitter.com/tonybgoodehttp://facebook.com/tonybacigalupohttp://linkedin.com/in/tonybacigalupoInline image 1

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:11 AM Kevin Haggerty [email protected] wrote:

Hey group!

My name is Kevin Haggerty. I’m 37 years old and live in Gloucester, Virginia. Our city has approximately 30k people in it, and it is located between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach.

A month ago, after five years in the ministry, and for a variety of reasons I won’t go into here, I stepped down as Executive Pastor of a church.

My background actually isn’t in ministry, rather, it is in web and graphic design.

A month ago, I’d never even heard of coworking. Now, in fairly obsessed with the idea of it.

My community doesn’t have a coworking space. The closest one is 45 minutes away. I think it’d be great for our community, but I just am not totally sure how to go about it.

I’ve ravenously digested Alex’s blog posts and videos. I’ve watched every video on the CoHo YouTube channel. I’ve watched and listened to hours of Jerome talking about coworking space and arrangement. I’ve read just about every post on this group forum (which is amazing, btw). I’ve amassed at least 100 hours of research, just in the last month.

I started a Facebook page (www.Facebook.com/coworkGloucesterVA) to generate interest. So far, I have six people who have said they’d be serious about joining, and I’ve added them to an email list. I’m working on planning a meetup soon where we can all get to know each other and talk possibilities.

• There is an old historic house on our Main Street that was recently purchased by some friends of mine. It’s two stories, and they are interested in renting out the top story for dedicated office space and letting me operate a coworking space on the first floor. The first floor has a small kitchen, a bathroom, a small office, a room that could be a conference room, a 10x30 room that would be good for open coworking, then a smaller 10x20 room that could work for more partitioned and quieter space. There’s also decent parking out back, and the building is in the thick of downtown, so lots to do nearby. The owners are interested in essentially charging me a percentage based on how many I have in the building, and not a set rent rate. They’d also help with the build-out costs, if not incur them entirely. It’s less risky, but it means I still essentially work for syndrome and don’t really have ownership, and there also isn’t much room to grow.

• There is a 3600 sqft unit in a nearby shopping center. It is pretty much a blank slate, and I could do a lot with it. The shopping center it resides in is growing and would be a good place to be. The lease is $2100/month, which is cheap considering the space, but I don’t have any capital, and I haven’t had time to do any fundraising yet.

• I’ve also spoken to a man with the local economic development foundation, and he’s told me about an old historic, 4500 sqft building on Main Street that used to be a law office. He was unclear as to really why he brought it up and if he thinks we’d be able to use it. What he was clear on was that he needs to see a financial plan from me. I have a business plan, but a financial plan on a coworking space seems difficult to me. All I can think to do is give him my pricing model and some different scenarios based on how full the building is and what types of memberships could theoretically be purchased.

I’ve led organizations before and am comfortable leading. I think this idea is a good one and something our community needs.

I’m sorry for the novel.

Thanks!

-Kevin

–

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thank you both for your input. I know you're both incredibly busy, and it means a lot to me that you took the time to share your wisdom as experience. It was very helpful! :slight_smile:

Hi Kevin,
This is very exciting!

I have a variety of free coworking resources available for download on my site at http://coherecommunity.com/the-goods

Community Building: First Steps -Free

DIY Coworking Decor - Free

Why I use Cobot - Free

Example Coworking Orientation Packet - Free

First Two Community Meetings Prep - 1.99

Building Community as a space catalyst- 5.99

How Freelancers Escape the Coffee Shop Office - 1.99

1 year cash flow spreadsheet with membership projections and costs for all expenditures for spaces between 800-3,500 ft2. On sale until 4/9 for $199.99. This one also includes Cohere’s actual cash flow for year 1 when our space was 1,000 ft2 at $12/ft2 rent price.

Beyond what you can learn by reading, I would do the hunt for physical space collaboratively–tour the choices as a group, bring along someone who has a knack for making interiors lovely to point out how different spaces might work with a little TLC. Then I would ask those 6 people to put some skin in the game. Contribute $200/person will cover most of a lease deposit etc and then they get to be “Founding Members” forever and ever.

Angel

···

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 8:11:32 AM UTC-6, Kevin Haggerty wrote:

Hey group!

I’m sorry for the novel.

Thanks!

-Kevin

Thanks so much, Angel. I just spent the last hour or so downloading and reading/consuming resources on your site. Very helpful!