Need Help Naming New Coworking Space in Connecticut

As always, Alex gives some great advice on asking your constituents. I would add to ask them not only for name ideas but to help develop what the story of your community (not space) will be.

Your name is just one dimension of your brand, which is your greatest asset. Ultimately, a high-impact brand articulates your stories to the folks who matter in a way that resonates with them, engages them, and inspires them to action.

Once you have some names, below are some evaluation criteria.

But first, shameless plug: If you can make it to NYC (or those in NYC) June 24, I’m leading a free interactive discussion (hybrid talk/workshop) at Impact Hub, “BRANDIDOTE: The Antidote for High-Impact Branding.”

http://www.antidotecollective.org/events/2014/5/brandidote-the-antidote-for-high-impact-branding

NAME EVALUATION CRITERIA

Distinctiveness
Is it differentiating enough to be interesting, especially from similar organizations? Does it have the “presence” of a proper noun or the imperative of a campaign?

Appearance
How a name will sound/look/feel, as in a logo, in an article, video, etc. How will the name be heard when spoken in conversation to colleagues? In an interview? Is it short enough to be easily recalled and used? Easily spelled and pronounced? Will people enjoy using it? Does it have good “mouth feel”?

Relevance
How does it speak to the mission and positioning of the group? Is it authentic?

Depth
The number of layers of meanings/associations for a name, which may not reveal themselves right away but over time. Does it tell an interesting story? Does it have “legs”? Does it suggest a visual interpretation or lend itself to a number of creative executions? Great names provide endless opportunities for brand play. Names that are intellectually stimulating can ignite the mind and tickle the emotions.

Defensibility
Can it be trademarked? Is it available for web use? While many names can be trademarked, some names are more defensible than others, making them safer and more valuable in the long run.

Good luck!

scott.

SCOTT TILLITT

PR yogi + social entrepreneur + community catalyst + meditator

// [email protected] / 917.449.6356

// Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn

BEAHIVE

collaborative spaces for work + community

// beahivebzzz.com / Facebook / Twitter

SOCIAL VENTURE INSTITUTE / HUDSON VALLEY

a weekend retreat for world-changing social entrepreneurs

// svihudsonvalley.com / Facebook / Twitter

RE>THINK LOCAL

co-creating a better Hudson Valley

// rethinklocal.org / Facebook / Twitter

ANTIDOTE COLLECTIVE

socially conscious communications for a better world

// antidotecollective.org / Facebook

• – - t h i n k / f e e l - – -

“…an idea or product that deserves the label ‘creative’ arises from the synergy of many sources and not only from the mind of a single person.” — Mihaly Csikszentmihaly

···

On Jun 11, 2014, at 4:27 AM, [email protected] wrote:

“Alex Hillman” [email protected] Jun 10 08:05AM -0700

“My sense of urgency to get a name is because we were picked to be in a city revitalization program which pays for space, help with marketing, and basically assists us to get off the ground.”

Just something to note, that feeling of “urgency” is just a feeling. In reality, your success won’t ever be based on urgency, it’ll be based on patience and listening.

I’ve seen a lot of people get off on the wrong foot because they felt like there was some outside pressure, which they then blame for their poor decisions, and in the end that pressure was something they CHOSE to respond to (not something they were actually forced to do).

Congrats on the recognition, just remember that the people who need to recognize you are your community members and not the institutions. :slight_smile:

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
betterwork.co

Hi All.

Thanks to a new community initiative my friend and I will be opening up the first coworking space in Southeastern CT. We are having a hard time coming up with a catchy name.

It will located in New London, CT …downtown. A little about New London, culturally diverse, near the water, small downtown, very big local music and art scene.

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

Have you and your friend asked your community members for name ideas?

-Alex

···

/ah

betterwork.co

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Jessica [email protected] wrote:

Hi All.

Thanks to a new community initiative my friend and I will be opening up the first coworking space in Southeastern CT. We are having a hard time coming up with a catchy name.

It will located in New London, CT …downtown. A little about New London, culturally diverse, near the water, small downtown, very big local music and art scene.

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

The best names mean something to your immediate community and fit within the surrounding culture. Consider why and how we name our kids. There’s generally way more to it than what’s cool or trendy. And sometimes the best names are those that merely state the facts - and the community and culture that grows with that name, becomes the brand. I wouldn’t think to hard about it. I work more on what we call “the story” of our space than the name/logo. Although the name logo is important, the feelings and talk around “who” you are is more important. We always say, the best marketing evokes memory and emotion. The “story” of who you and your community is, is what you want to be known for.

Chad Ballantyne

ch…@thecreativespace.ca

Barrie’s Coworking Community

Perfect for small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.

12 Dunlop St E, Barrie Ontario, L4M 1A3

Memberships start at $25/mth

www.thecreativespace.ca

705-812-0689

···

On Jun 10, 2014, at 9:43 AM, Alex Hillman [email protected] wrote:

Have you and your friend asked your community members for name ideas?

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
betterwork.co

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Jessica [email protected] wrote:

Hi All.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Thanks. Makes sense. My sense of urgency to get a name is because we were picked to be in a city revitalization program which pays for space, help with marketing, and basically assists us to get off the ground. We are in the program for the next 3 months and wanted to incorporate our business sooner rather than later. Our officially launch will be in Sept. So basically in these 3 months we need to build a community, get people interested in what we want to achieve in order for this to work. We’ve gone through close to 100 names…

Over 2 years ago, I piloted a coworking space program in a temporary space that was given to me a couple of days a week. Didn’t really work out due to the location and inconstant hours. Now we have another chance.

We will build the story behind the space. That makes total sense. And thank you.

Jessica

···

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:41:10 AM UTC-4, Jessica wrote:

Hi All.

“My sense of urgency to get a name is because we were picked to be in a city revitalization program which pays for space, help with marketing, and basically assists us to get off the ground.”

Just something to note, that feeling of “urgency” is just a feeling. In reality, your success won’t ever be based on urgency, it’ll be based on patience and listening.

I’ve seen a lot of people get off on the wrong foot because they felt like there was some outside pressure, which they then blame for their poor decisions, and in the end that pressure was something they CHOSE to respond to (not something they were actually forced to do).

Congrats on the recognition, just remember that the people who need to recognize you are your community members and not the institutions. :slight_smile:

-Alex

···

/ah

betterwork.co

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Jessica [email protected] wrote:

Thanks. Makes sense. My sense of urgency to get a name is because we were picked to be in a city revitalization program which pays for space, help with marketing, and basically assists us to get off the ground. We are in the program for the next 3 months and wanted to incorporate our business sooner rather than later. Our officially launch will be in Sept. So basically in these 3 months we need to build a community, get people interested in what we want to achieve in order for this to work. We’ve gone through close to 100 names…

Over 2 years ago, I piloted a coworking space program in a temporary space that was given to me a couple of days a week. Didn’t really work out due to the location and inconstant hours. Now we have another chance.

We will build the story behind the space. That makes total sense. And thank you.

Jessica

Hi All.

You could always incorporate under a numbered company and change the name once you’ve settled on the final choice.

···

Aaron Cruikshank
Principal, CRUIKSHANK

phone: 778.908.4560

e-mail: [email protected]

web: cruikshank.me

twitter: @cruikshank

book a meeting: doodle.com/cruikshank

linkedin: in/cruikshank

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Jessica [email protected] wrote:

Jessica

Hi All.

Hi Jessica, this is Katherine Kern from COMRADITY in Stamford, CT. The coworking movement is really growing in CT. If you want to connect with me by email: [email protected], I'd be glad to tell you about the existing and emerging stuff happening that could be helpful to you. I think everyone is right by the way, it is more important to get your company registered legally than to have a name. The state has all sorts of criteria for programs and one of them is that you have to have been in business for a year. They go by your registration date. So just do it!

K-