Membership pricing and structure, add on amenities, etc

I just posted about corporate membership structures but I’m curious about pricing and basic individual membership structures as well.

Currently our prices appear to be well below most of what I’ve seen by researching online but we are still the highest priced coworking space in our city (Eugene, Oregon).

We are struggling with making things pencil out and so I’m exploring options to bring in some more revenue.
I’m curious what options other spaces offer, how you structure pricing, what extra add ons you offer, etc.

Here is what we have right now:

Part time flex desk $85/month includes 4 hours per month of conference room time

Full time flex desk $125/month includes 6 hours per month of conference room time

Private offices start at $450 and include 8 hours conference room time per month.

Add ons include:

Desk and chair for private office $100 annual

Suite number for mailing purposes $10/month

Reserved locker $5/month

Parking pass $15/month

Additional private office member $15/month

We have a steady influx of new members and have almost filled the private offices we have. We have just over 50 members. We have three conference rooms, a lunch room, printer, free coffee… We have over 11,000 square feet right down town.

We have a great mix of freelancer/solo entrepreneurs and small companies in our space.

www.eugenemindworks.com

A common mistake is thinking that lots of “upgrade” options turns into more money. I hope to break that opinion for you today :slight_smile:

In fact, lots of upgrade options creates a paralyzing collection of options and a fear of being nickled and dimed. People hesitate to join because they’re confused by how they’re going to budget for all of the things they MIGHT need…even if they don’t actually need them yet.

And limiting access by the hour means record keeping for you, record keeping for them, and worrying about “staying longer and going over”. Especially when your hourly limits don’t coincide with hours in an ‘average’ work day, people feel like you’re a phone company keeping track of their minutes instead of a cozy place to go and get productive when they need it.

**So with that in mind, in my experience, you’d be able to make more money with LESS options…but better ones. **

When we launched, we had three membership levels, all inclusive:

• Basic membership. $25/month (now $30/month). Includes one drop-in day per month. Additional days $15/day a la carte.

• Lite membership. $175/month (now $200/month). Includes 3 days a week, or 12 days a month.

• Full time membership, $275/month (now $300/month). Your own desk where you can leave your stuff. No extra charges.

And about 3 years in, our book keeper pointed out that we had a lot of basic members coming in roughly 6 times a month. We could create a 6 day/month membership and save everyone a bunch of book keeping on the extra $15/day drop in rates. So we did that and added:

• Six-pack membership: $100/month (now $120/month). Includes six drop-in days a month. Additional $15/day. (note that there’s no actual savings…just less paperwork).

Six-pack membership quickly became our second most popular membership. Go figure. :slight_smile:

The lower levels are often overlooked because the assumption is “more money from bigger memberships, right?”

Except…a LOT of people just need to get out of the house or office once a week or once a month. Far more than need a dedicated space. And for people who don’t NEED to commute, there’s not a lot of incentive to work from the same place every day. Finally, not every kind of work makes sense in a coworking space. Having strong and easy to choose flex options makes coworking attractive to more people, including the ones who only come in once or twice a month.

All levels of membership are valuable, but basic membership and six pack membership make coworking feel less like “an office I use” and more like “a place where I can go when I need a change of scenery” which we’ve found resonates with a LOT more people.

The other benefit of having basic and six pack memberships is that over 1/3rd of our revenue comes from people who *almost never use a desk. *

We’ve done the math and if we charged for some of the things we include in all memberships (member conf room usage, printing, etc) it’d come out to a small fraction of that same amount of revenue. And best of all, we get to tell all of our members, “don’t worry, that’s included in your membership.”

That makes them feel awesome.

Last thing we added was in 2014 as an experiment. The source of the experiment was that we noticed two trends:

1 - more people were saying “I’ll join Indy Hall when I quit my job/need a place to work”

2 - more people who joined Indy Hall later cancelling, saying “I’m not using it enough”

Both of these were relatively new patterns. Prior to that, people happily joined with Basic membership just to be a card-carrying member. But as coworking mainstreamed, more people started to see coworking as “something I’ll buy when I need an office, but better”. This also explained our new cancellation reason. “I’m not using it enough” signaled that they viewed it as a thing to consume vs a thing to belong to.

That’s a problem we can fix.

So we added a new membership, the **Community Membership. $20/month or $200/year prepaid. NO coworking days included. **

Just online community (we use a power-combo of GroupBuzz and Slack, as I’ve mentioned in other posts) which are amazingly vibrant, plus they can come to our free events without feeling like a freeloader.

And we made it our FLAGSHIP membership. All of our coworking memberships came with community membership included. There wasn’t a way to join Indy Hall without having a community membership.

Crazy? Well, the language and positioning worked amazingly.

We started to see a reversal in BOTH trends I mentioned above:

For the people who said “I’ll join Indy Hall when…” we had a way of saying “there’s a way to start getting to know community members now…a lot of them were in the same position as you, before they left their jobs or found one that let them choose where they work. They can probably help you!”

And here’s my favorite: now we have people who email us to reluctantly cancel their membership because they’re moving away, or took a new job, but they know that they’ll miss the community. So we can offer them the Community membership for $20/month (or $200/year prepaid). And they’re THRILLED. We just turned someone who was about to leave into a member for life, no matter where they go they can stay connected. Bam.

The beautiful thing about this membership is it allows us to create value for one kind of member, and it improves our long term member retention and overall member lifetime value (which is easy to overlook in favor of “getting more members”). *Of course it’s good to get more members, but it’s even better to keep a larger % of the members you already have :slight_smile: *

Last thought on pricing - it’s a big mistake to anchor your pricing to other options, even in the same city. **Anchor prices to the VALUE that people get. **

Your members are professionals. I’d be willing to bet that many of them earn more per day than you charge per month. Think about that!

Here’s something that we’ve done ourselves and we’ve heard others do successfully: ask your CURRENT paying members if they feel like they get more or less value than they pay out of their membership. If you’re doing even a halfway decent job, most paying members will say that they’re getting a steal of a deal. *Which means…you’re not charging enough. *

When we raised our rates, we did it with 6 months notice and offered a grandfather option for prepaying, which people found MORE than generous. I included a note saying that if someone felt that the price increase would impact their ability to be a member, to come talk to me and we’d figure out a solution.

When we announced the price increase, the #1 thing we heard was “It’s about time!” And only 1 person (out of nearly 200) came to me to say anything about the price increase being a potential burden - but that she was still happy to pay it because we’d been so considerate of the potential situation.

11,000 square feet is a lot of space, but more importantly, you can do a bit of work now to start making sure that people see the value in your community BEFORE and AFTER they need the space…and streamline everything from sales to billing along the way.

Hope this helps you get past the trough you’re in!

-Alex

···

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Aloma Loren [email protected] wrote:

I just posted about corporate membership structures but I’m curious about pricing and basic individual membership structures as well.

Currently our prices appear to be well below most of what I’ve seen by researching online but we are still the highest priced coworking space in our city (Eugene, Oregon).

We are struggling with making things pencil out and so I’m exploring options to bring in some more revenue.
I’m curious what options other spaces offer, how you structure pricing, what extra add ons you offer, etc.

Part time flex desk $85/month includes 4 hours per month of conference room time

Full time flex desk $125/month includes 6 hours per month of conference room time

Private offices start at $450 and include 8 hours conference room time per month.

Add ons include:

Reserved locker $5/month

Parking pass $15/month

We have a steady influx of new members and have almost filled the private offices we have. We have just over 50 members. We have three conference rooms, a lunch room, printer, free coffee… We have over 11,000 square feet right down town.

We have a great mix of freelancer/solo entrepreneurs and small companies in our space.

www.eugenemindworks.com

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I got a LOT of emails off list about my reply to this post, so I decided to put a little extra time into fleshing it out and filled in some more specific details that I left out of my original post. I give you…

The ultimate guide to structuring your coworking space memberships

:slight_smile:

Did I miss something you want to know more about? Or leave something out? Lemme know.

-Alex

···

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 5:42:13 PM UTC-4, Alex Hillman wrote:

A common mistake is thinking that lots of “upgrade” options turns into more money. I hope to break that opinion for you today :slight_smile:

In fact, lots of upgrade options creates a paralyzing collection of options and a fear of being nickled and dimed. People hesitate to join because they’re confused by how they’re going to budget for all of the things they MIGHT need…even if they don’t actually need them yet.

And limiting access by the hour means record keeping for you, record keeping for them, and worrying about “staying longer and going over”. Especially when your hourly limits don’t coincide with hours in an ‘average’ work day, people feel like you’re a phone company keeping track of their minutes instead of a cozy place to go and get productive when they need it.

**So with that in mind, in my experience, you’d be able to make more money with LESS options…but better ones. **

When we launched, we had three membership levels, all inclusive:

• Basic membership. $25/month (now $30/month). Includes one drop-in day per month. Additional days $15/day a la carte.
  • Lite membership. $175/month (now $200/month). Includes 3 days a week, or 12 days a month.
  • Full time membership, $275/month (now $300/month). Your own desk where you can leave your stuff. No extra charges.

And about 3 years in, our book keeper pointed out that we had a lot of basic members coming in roughly 6 times a month. We could create a 6 day/month membership and save everyone a bunch of book keeping on the extra $15/day drop in rates. So we did that and added:

• Six-pack membership: $100/month (now $120/month). Includes six drop-in days a month. Additional $15/day. (note that there’s no actual savings…just less paperwork).

Six-pack membership quickly became our second most popular membership. Go figure. :slight_smile:

The lower levels are often overlooked because the assumption is “more money from bigger memberships, right?”

Except…a LOT of people just need to get out of the house or office once a week or once a month. Far more than need a dedicated space. And for people who don’t NEED to commute, there’s not a lot of incentive to work from the same place every day. Finally, not every kind of work makes sense in a coworking space. Having strong and easy to choose flex options makes coworking attractive to more people, including the ones who only come in once or twice a month.

All levels of membership are valuable, but basic membership and six pack membership make coworking feel less like “an office I use” and more like “a place where I can go when I need a change of scenery” which we’ve found resonates with a LOT more people.

The other benefit of having basic and six pack memberships is that over 1/3rd of our revenue comes from people who *almost never use a desk. *

We’ve done the math and if we charged for some of the things we include in all memberships (member conf room usage, printing, etc) it’d come out to a small fraction of that same amount of revenue. And best of all, we get to tell all of our members, “don’t worry, that’s included in your membership.”

That makes them feel awesome.

Last thing we added was in 2014 as an experiment. The source of the experiment was that we noticed two trends:

1 - more people were saying “I’ll join Indy Hall when I quit my job/need a place to work”

2 - more people who joined Indy Hall later cancelling, saying “I’m not using it enough”

Both of these were relatively new patterns. Prior to that, people happily joined with Basic membership just to be a card-carrying member. But as coworking mainstreamed, more people started to see coworking as “something I’ll buy when I need an office, but better”. This also explained our new cancellation reason. “I’m not using it enough” signaled that they viewed it as a thing to consume vs a thing to belong to.

That’s a problem we can fix.

So we added a new membership, the **Community Membership. $20/month or $200/year prepaid. NO coworking days included. **

Just online community (we use a power-combo of GroupBuzz and Slack, as I’ve mentioned in other posts) which are amazingly vibrant, plus they can come to our free events without feeling like a freeloader.

And we made it our FLAGSHIP membership. All of our coworking memberships came with community membership included. There wasn’t a way to join Indy Hall without having a community membership.

Crazy? Well, the language and positioning worked amazingly.

We started to see a reversal in BOTH trends I mentioned above:

For the people who said “I’ll join Indy Hall when…” we had a way of saying “there’s a way to start getting to know community members now…a lot of them were in the same position as you, before they left their jobs or found one that let them choose where they work. They can probably help you!”

And here’s my favorite: now we have people who email us to reluctantly cancel their membership because they’re moving away, or took a new job, but they know that they’ll miss the community. So we can offer them the Community membership for $20/month (or $200/year prepaid). And they’re THRILLED. We just turned someone who was about to leave into a member for life, no matter where they go they can stay connected. Bam.

The beautiful thing about this membership is it allows us to create value for one kind of member, and it improves our long term member retention and overall member lifetime value (which is easy to overlook in favor of “getting more members”). *Of course it’s good to get more members, but it’s even better to keep a larger % of the members you already have :slight_smile: *

Last thought on pricing - it’s a big mistake to anchor your pricing to other options, even in the same city. **Anchor prices to the VALUE that people get. **

Your members are professionals. I’d be willing to bet that many of them earn more per day than you charge per month. Think about that!

Here’s something that we’ve done ourselves and we’ve heard others do successfully: ask your CURRENT paying members if they feel like they get more or less value than they pay out of their membership. If you’re doing even a halfway decent job, most paying members will say that they’re getting a steal of a deal. *Which means…you’re not charging enough. *

When we raised our rates, we did it with 6 months notice and offered a grandfather option for prepaying, which people found MORE than generous. I included a note saying that if someone felt that the price increase would impact their ability to be a member, to come talk to me and we’d figure out a solution.

When we announced the price increase, the #1 thing we heard was “It’s about time!” And only 1 person (out of nearly 200) came to me to say anything about the price increase being a potential burden - but that she was still happy to pay it because we’d been so considerate of the potential situation.

11,000 square feet is a lot of space, but more importantly, you can do a bit of work now to start making sure that people see the value in your community BEFORE and AFTER they need the space…and streamline everything from sales to billing along the way.

Hope this helps you get past the trough you’re in!

-Alex

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Aloma Loren [email protected] wrote:

Add ons include:

Reserved locker $5/month

Parking pass $15/month

www.eugenemindworks.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Funny thing, our process was different but from halfway around the world from you, I can say that we ended up at nearly the exact same place with memberships and levels.

I started out with standard memberships and standard packages. Thereafter I gave that up and started doing everything on a bespoke basis. This was great until we appraoched 80 coworkers, at which point it became difficult and with mroe spaces it became impossible. So then we went back to the community with the numbers and came up with something we all liked, which looks very much like what you have there.

In the “rural” spaces where the population is less than 50K (we have two) we find far more “non-standard” use of the space and therefore more custom agreements. (I have scare quites aroudn rural because in the Netherlands a place with a population under 50K can be quite urban)…

I also don’t see anything about specifically corporate memberships, have you dealt with that at all? Or do you just approach them all the same? We have a couple of contracts with large companies who contract for use of the space by their employees; this is a little weird in the beginning because the person you deal with to set up the membership and the person who actually shows up are not the same but also they have different interests. We haven’t had a direct conflict yet but it took a little getting used to for everybody.

In any event, the setup for corporate memberships turns out to be also mostly custom. At least here.

Cheers,

Jeannine

···

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 7:06:52 PM UTC+2, Alex Hillman wrote:

I got a LOT of emails off list about my reply to this post, so I decided to put a little extra time into fleshing it out and filled in some more specific details that I left out of my original post. I give you…

Did I miss something you want to know more about? Or leave something out? Lemme know.

-Alex

We get asked to customize memberships for companies fairly often, and it’s usually an early sign that things aren’t going to work out long term :slight_smile:

We always explain that our memberships and environment are designed specifically for helping people interact with people and for their employees to get the most out of membership, it’s much better NOT to sidestep our onboarding process.

Every time we’ve bent this rule we have regretted it. To your point, every corporate member who didn’t arrive by their own interest doesn’t really seek out the same things - they tend to actually prefer isolation (or at least think that’s what they want) and 9 times or of 10 they hole up in a conference room or something like that. They’ve literally asked for a private office away from their coworkers, and that’s not the business we are in :slight_smile:

This even surfaces when we have people bring on interns - the best intern situations we’ve had are ones where a member brings on an intern for 3-6 months and that intern not only gets the benefits of their internship but of being immersed in a professional community like ours. They take away 100x more value than the interns who simply get sequestered away from the action and only show up to execute some grunt work in the shadow of a member.

Not saying corporate paid members don’t work - again we have quite a few - but people using the “corporate membership” has always created more work and tension for them and for us than it’s worth in dollars.

One thing we HAVE done for members whose companies pay for them is streamline billing, which works to both of our benefits. They’d often prefer not to pay with a credit card (which surprises me all the time but it’s true of all of the bigger corporations who we’ve interacted with) so rather than deal with monthly receivables and checks getting lost or not recorded or whatever other things can go wrong we decided to do 6 month prepayments by check.

That’s sweet for us, easier for their accounting department, and all are happy.

But we never do a discount for companies or teams.

Knowing what I know about teams impact on the business and culture of a coworking space, I’ve considered coming up with a way to charge them more per person because they certainly cost us more in terms of social and human capital.

-Alex

···

On Thursday, October 8, 2015, Jeannine van der Linden [email protected] wrote:

Funny thing, our process was different but from halfway around the world from you, I can say that we ended up at nearly the exact same place with memberships and levels.

I started out with standard memberships and standard packages. Thereafter I gave that up and started doing everything on a bespoke basis. This was great until we appraoched 80 coworkers, at which point it became difficult and with mroe spaces it became impossible. So then we went back to the community with the numbers and came up with something we all liked, which looks very much like what you have there.

In the “rural” spaces where the population is less than 50K (we have two) we find far more “non-standard” use of the space and therefore more custom agreements. (I have scare quites aroudn rural because in the Netherlands a place with a population under 50K can be quite urban)…

I also don’t see anything about specifically corporate memberships, have you dealt with that at all? Or do you just approach them all the same? We have a couple of contracts with large companies who contract for use of the space by their employees; this is a little weird in the beginning because the person you deal with to set up the membership and the person who actually shows up are not the same but also they have different interests. We haven’t had a direct conflict yet but it took a little getting used to for everybody.

In any event, the setup for corporate memberships turns out to be also mostly custom. At least here.

Cheers,

Jeannine

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 7:06:52 PM UTC+2, Alex Hillman wrote:

-Alex

Alex Hillman, would you say the main value of IndyHall is the online community space or the in-person community place? If online (which is what it sounds like, being your flagship), could you see a coworking community that is only paid for online, and not for in-person, and what would that look like? It sounds like if IndyHall place ended, you would still have most of your revenue and members and community, is that accurate? It also sounds like that could be how a new coworking community starts - purely online. What value are people then getting? The same values as in-person community, but through online community? Also, do you have a sense of how much your more inexpensive memberships reduced your number of more expensive memberships? Thanks, Alex Linsker

Alex Hillman, would you say the main value of IndyHall is the online community space or the in-person community place?

It’s fundamentally both. Each increases the value of the other. It works in both directions - online community provides continuity for the offline community when most people are physically present less often, and offline community provides depth to relationships (or even an element of aspiration and desire) that online community alone cannot provide.

We wouldn’t be as successful as we have been if we only had one or the other.

Our online community was definitely part of how we started before we had our own coworking space - it was so valuable to have a way to stay in touch between events *even when the events weren’t our own events. *

“Also, do you have a sense of how much your more inexpensive memberships reduced your number of more expensive memberships?”

Wrong question :slight_smile: Your concern is what happens when you focus on the value of a membership on a monthly basis - and when you don’t take a long view.

Instead we think about member lifetime value - both in terms of value beyond the monthly membership dollars, but also in terms of how much someone’s membership is worth over the lifetime of a member. Community membership doesn’t “eat” our more expensive memberships, it extends the lifetime of a member who would wait to join, or who would end their membership for a variety of reasons.

We focus on providing value across the full lifetime of the membership (vs only when they need a place to work), and in return we get value from members in more ways, and for longer.

-Alex

···

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Alex Linsker [email protected] wrote:

Alex Hillman, would you say the main value of IndyHall is the online community space or the in-person community place? If online (which is what it sounds like, being your flagship), could you see a coworking community that is only paid for online, and not for in-person, and what would that look like? It sounds like if IndyHall place ended, you would still have most of your revenue and members and community, is that accurate? It also sounds like that could be how a new coworking community starts - purely online. What value are people then getting? The same values as in-person community, but through online community? Also, do you have a sense of how much your more inexpensive memberships reduced your number of more expensive memberships? Thanks, Alex Linsker