Membership Management and Payment Systems

I would like to know what member management and payment systems everyone is using.

I know it's been debated to death; but there's some new solutions out there and organizations evolve.

What do you use to track your active members? What tools does your front desk have to figure who's paid up and who's gone bust? Do you do it paper and pencil or high tech?

How does your space get paid? Recurring PayPal or amazon payments? Quickbooks? Cash and check? Do you do anything to streamline the process?

Let this thread stand for the current state of membership and payment system uses in early 2012.

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi
Paper Street Detroit
Welovepaperstreet.com
313-427-9668

I am planning on using a merchant service that allows us to take all forms of payment at the reception desk with the ability to set up recurring monthly membership payments. I have a membership based community already and I am adding our coworking space as a value. I currently use quickbooks to track all memberships as it has the capability to send reminders and invoices to members who are up for renewal and alerts staff too. I can also enter expenses in quickbooks to and print weekly and monthly P & L! I might add that RECURRING payments are big time saver… not to mention the security of knowing payments will automatically drop into your account as agree by our members. Hope my experience helps!

Kat Jaramillo

CoBiz Coworking in Las Vegas (Launching soon)

···

On Jan 27, 2012 6:00 PM, “Andy Didorosi” [email protected] wrote:

I would like to know what member management and payment systems everyone is using.

I know it’s been debated to death; but there’s some new solutions out there and organizations evolve.

What do you use to track your active members? What tools does your front desk have to figure who’s paid up and who’s gone bust? Do you do it paper and pencil or high tech?

How does your space get paid? Recurring PayPal or amazon payments? Quickbooks? Cash and check? Do you do anything to streamline the process?

Let this thread stand for the current state of membership and payment system uses in early 2012.

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi

Paper Street Detroit

Welovepaperstreet.com

313-427-9668

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To post to this group, send email to [email protected].

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected].

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

The tough thing is that QB doesn’t schedule anything. It’s two steps to book a conference room and to pay for it. Same goes for reserving any other workspaces to coordinate drop-ins. Nonetheless, your solution is good for a simple set-up.

Jerome

www.BLANKSPACES.com

···

On Jan 27, 2012, at 6:17 PM, Kat Eversole-Jaramillo [email protected] wrote:

I am planning on using a merchant service that allows us to take all forms of payment at the reception desk with the ability to set up recurring monthly membership payments. I have a membership based community already and I am adding our coworking space as a value. I currently use quickbooks to track all memberships as it has the capability to send reminders and invoices to members who are up for renewal and alerts staff too. I can also enter expenses in quickbooks to and print weekly and monthly P & L! I might add that RECURRING payments are big time saver… not to mention the security of knowing payments will automatically drop into your account as agree by our members. Hope my experience helps!

Kat Jaramillo

I know it’s been debated to death; but there’s some new solutions out there and organizations evolve.

What do you use to track your active members? What tools does your front desk have to figure who’s paid up and who’s gone bust? Do you do it paper and pencil or high tech?

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi

Paper Street Detroit

Welovepaperstreet.com

313-427-9668

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Share more master! :wink:

···

On Jan 27, 2012 6:50 PM, “Jerome Chang” [email protected] wrote:

The tough thing is that QB doesn’t schedule anything. It’s two steps to book a conference room and to pay for it. Same goes for reserving any other workspaces to coordinate drop-ins. Nonetheless, your solution is good for a simple set-up.

Jerome

www.BLANKSPACES.com

Kat Jaramillo

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi

Paper Street Detroit

Welovepaperstreet.com

313-427-9668

Umm…not sure about “master”…
Anyway, I’ve been using this app called MindBodyOnline. It manages memberships, acts as a POS (Point of Sale), and does recurring payments. It also books spaces. It, however, doesn’t manage expenses so you’d still need QB. So yes, their app seems to do everything discussed below. And for 2 years, all was good.

THAT SAID, I have to confess I’m having some fundamental issues with MBO the company, which I’m currently trying to resolve with them. So far, my efforts have been futile, leaving me with a crippled version of a database I personally customized, and messed up configurations that I have to laboriously clean up due to nothing that I did. I’m trying to be diplomatic on this public forum, so any more details I’d have to discuss separately.

MindBody, if you’re reading this, I hope you do the right thing.

Jerome

···

BLANKSPACES
“work FOR yourself, not BY yourself”

www.blankspaces.com
ph: 323.330.9505 | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) Los Angeles, CA 90036

On Jan 27, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Kat Eversole-Jaramillo wrote:

Share more master! :wink:

On Jan 27, 2012 6:50 PM, “Jerome Chang” [email protected] wrote:

Jerome

www.BLANKSPACES.com

Kat Jaramillo

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi

Paper Street Detroit

Welovepaperstreet.com

313-427-9668

Hi all,

Check out this upcoming open source solution for managing coworking spaces:
http://cowoop.net/
https://twitter.com/cowspa

Enjoy!

Josef.

···

Josef Davies-Coates
07974 88 88 95
http://uniteddiversity.com
Together We Have Everything

We use three separate systems to handle billing. Nadine is the software we developed that handles memberships and tracks activity. Nadine produces a billing report but is not integrated with the other two systems. We use Authorize.NET to run payments and set everyone up on automatic billing and then everything is tracked in Quickbooks. There are some areas we would love to automate further although we do not want to automate everything. There are advantages to each step being simple and discrete and having humans bridge the gaps. That makes it easier to have different people on different tasks, and the redundancy provides some check points to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Jacob

···

Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
http://www.officenomads.com - (206) 323-6500

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Andy Didorosi [email protected] wrote:

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi

Paper Street Detroit

Welovepaperstreet.com

313-427-9668

Hey guys,

A couple of our customers have told us to check out these forums so forgive me for bringing up this outdated topic once again.

Based on recent conversations with customers, there still appears to be issues with the systems mentioned below, so I’d like to reach out and see if these are still happening.

Can you all share what types of reporting you need/don’t have and what other features (or lack there of) you wish were available to your existing Coworking space management system?

I’d love to learn more about this industry. Please contact me directly on my cell at (415) 847-8011.

Regards,

Gabe Cuevas

[email protected]

Subscription Mangement, Billing & Invoicing

···

On Friday, January 27, 2012 6:00:44 PM UTC-8, Andy Didorosi wrote:

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi
Paper Street Detroit
Welovepaperstreet.com
313-427-9668

Hi Gabe,

I’m a software developer that happens to own a small coworking space called Cowork MYR. For the past 18 months, we’ve been running on an app I developed to manage our members and billing. In my spare coding time I’ve packaged up this code into what we call Lemyr (http://lemyr.co/). We have intentions of open sourcing the main core and offer hosted versions and customization services. I’m just so busy with contract work that it’s been difficult to get to that point!

Anyway, we use Stripe’s subscription plan service which has been great to get up and running quickly. But it has been on the feature map to remove the hard dependency on Stripe and decouple the pro-rating and invoicing from the payment gateway so we can be multi-gateway friendly (which sounds exactly what Chargebee is doing!). The only real problems we’ve run into with Stripe’s stuff is the inability to specify and arbitrary billing date (eg; all members get invoiced on the 3rd of every month) and their pro-rating is a little hard to follow when members change from one plan to another. We trap all of Stripe’s webhook events so we can generate whatever reports someone might need from the Lemyr dashboard. So far the only report request we’ve had has been for monthly credits and refunds. The key seems to be making sure the transaction can be resolved to an actual member quickly and easily.

That’s my experience so far, at least.

Paul

···

On Monday, February 10, 2014 8:07:49 PM UTC-5, Gabriel Cuevas wrote:

Hey guys,

A couple of our customers have told us to check out these forums so forgive me for bringing up this outdated topic once again.

Based on recent conversations with customers, there still appears to be issues with the systems mentioned below, so I’d like to reach out and see if these are still happening.

Can you all share what types of reporting you need/don’t have and what other features (or lack there of) you wish were available to your existing Coworking space management system?

I’d love to learn more about this industry. Please contact me directly on my cell at (415) 847-8011.

Regards,

Gabe Cuevas

[email protected]

www.Chargebee.com

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi
Paper Street Detroit
Welovepaperstreet.com
313-427-9668

Old thread I know…, but now that is active again I though to add my two cents. We’ve worked hard on this for the last months so maybe someone can get some ideas for their own solution. I cofounded (no hyphen) Nexudus and we offer a software to help coworking spaces to automate many of their day-to-day tasks and processes and help their communities know more about each other :slight_smile:

We took an approach similar to what Paul mentioned about membership tracking and regular payments. Many payment gateways have the concept of recurring payments but these are implemented differently and have different limitations. For example, some providers will let you change the amount of the transaction every month, whilst other won’t, forcing you to create a new subscription in their systems. We wanted to have a unified way of solving this problem, regardless of which payment provider you use. In addition to this, we find that many coworking spaces not only charge members at the end of the month (or whatever renewal period each member has) but also they may need to do ad-hoc charges in the middle of a subscription which they may want to invoice and charge before the subscription is due. This means we needed a way of being in control of how often and how much each member is charged, ignoring all the idiosyncrasies of each payment gateway.

To do this we use a bit of a man-in-the-middle approach. When you add a payment provider to Nexudus Spaces we are effectively creating an intermediate store for the payment details of that member. This store is controlled by us so we can instruct it to make a charge at any point and for any amount, but also is able to pass that instruction to any of the 40+ payment providers we integrate with. So effectively once you have the card details of a member, you can issue a charge for that member and process it with any of the available payment providers. This can be handy in several scenarios. For example, if you wanted to change payment provider at some point, you won’t have to ask members for their card details again, or you could process payments through different providers for different members if that saves you some fees. For spaces with multiple physical locations, you may want to settle into different bank accounts depending on where the expense was made but you don’t want to have to store (and update) the card details for each member in each of your payment gateway accounts. This store acts as the unified payment details vault, able to use those details with many payment providers. This store of course is regulated and certified by a PCI authority (level 1).

This puts us in the decoupled position that Paul was referring to, we are in control and able to automate many of the payments members need to make. Once someone has entered they card details, Nexudus Spaces can raise invoices automatically every time a membership is due for renewal and process/pay them using the stored card details. Members get notified by email with the invoice attached as a PDF. Only if there is an issue with a payment (declined, expired, …), you’ll get notified, and the invoice will be clearly flagged in your dashboard as not paid. It also puts you in control of how you want your payments processed, you can choose to put long term members in a cheaper payment processor, which will take a bit longer to transfer the money into your account but they will charge less transaction fees and put drop-in members in faster payment gateways, which will send you the money quicker, but charge you a bit more for it. They always win :slight_smile:

In terms of knowing who has paid and who hasn’t, this is something that is present in many places in the software. The dashboard will give you a total amount of due invoices updated in real-time, you have reports about due invoices which will detail who and what is due to pay and members can be automatically be reminded every so many days with a message which you can customize, pointing them straight to where they update their payment details.

Adrian

···

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:21:09 PM UTC, Paul Reynolds wrote:

Hi Gabe,

I’m a software developer that happens to own a small coworking space called Cowork MYR. For the past 18 months, we’ve been running on an app I developed to manage our members and billing. In my spare coding time I’ve packaged up this code into what we call Lemyr (http://lemyr.co/). We have intentions of open sourcing the main core and offer hosted versions and customization services. I’m just so busy with contract work that it’s been difficult to get to that point!

Anyway, we use Stripe’s subscription plan service which has been great to get up and running quickly. But it has been on the feature map to remove the hard dependency on Stripe and decouple the pro-rating and invoicing from the payment gateway so we can be multi-gateway friendly (which sounds exactly what Chargebee is doing!). The only real problems we’ve run into with Stripe’s stuff is the inability to specify and arbitrary billing date (eg; all members get invoiced on the 3rd of every month) and their pro-rating is a little hard to follow when members change from one plan to another. We trap all of Stripe’s webhook events so we can generate whatever reports someone might need from the Lemyr dashboard. So far the only report request we’ve had has been for monthly credits and refunds. The key seems to be making sure the transaction can be resolved to an actual member quickly and easily.

That’s my experience so far, at least.

Paul

On Monday, February 10, 2014 8:07:49 PM UTC-5, Gabriel Cuevas wrote:

Hey guys,

Regards,

Gabe Cuevas

[email protected]

www.Chargebee.com

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi
Paper Street Detroit
Welovepaperstreet.com
313-427-9668

Hi all –
We’ve developed a pretty comprehensive cloud-based management system called DeskWorks (satellitedeskworks.com). We tie it to Spreedly, so it’s easy to change your credit card processor or gateway at any time. It has both a function to bill extras whenever you want, bill all extras with a one-touch, or to just let them “sweep” onto the automatic monthly recurring billing. Reservations automatically “sweep” and are billed. Members can do their own reservations, registration, update credit cards, pull statements. We’re just tying it in so it connects to all other calendars out there. We’re running quite a few sites on it now. We’re continually working on improvements, so if you’d like to work together, it’s free to people in this group for the next three months. (Our Center Coordinators think it’s fun to use!)

···

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi
Paper Street Detroit
Welovepaperstreet.com
313-427-9668

Nobody’s mentioned it, but our space uses Desktime, which we’re super happy with. It’s insanely efficient, entirely paperless and online, and automates member charges for us so have to do almost nothing except for make changes.

···

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:40:06 AM UTC-6, Barbara Sprenger wrote:

Hi all –
We’ve developed a pretty comprehensive cloud-based management system called DeskWorks (satellitedeskworks.com). We tie it to Spreedly, so it’s easy to change your credit card processor or gateway at any time. It has both a function to bill extras whenever you want, bill all extras with a one-touch, or to just let them “sweep” onto the automatic monthly recurring billing. Reservations automatically “sweep” and are billed. Members can do their own reservations, registration, update credit cards, pull statements. We’re just tying it in so it connects to all other calendars out there. We’re running quite a few sites on it now. We’re continually working on improvements, so if you’d like to work together, it’s free to people in this group for the next three months. (Our Center Coordinators think it’s fun to use!)

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi
Paper Street Detroit
Welovepaperstreet.com
313-427-9668

Hi - just checking in with this again to see if anyone has new news to report - @Matthew - it seems then that you’re paying the 2.9% + 30cents to Stripe AND paying the 2.5% to Desktime - seems like a lot! Wondering what other solutions people are using currently - I am in the process of setting up a space and am having a hard time navigating the payment processing world!
Thanks for any input -

Best,

Sita

···

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:50:11 PM UTC-5, Matthew Straub wrote:

Nobody’s mentioned it, but our space uses Desktime, which we’re super happy with. It’s insanely efficient, entirely paperless and online, and automates member charges for us so have to do almost nothing except for make changes.

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:40:06 AM UTC-6, Barbara Sprenger wrote:

Hi all –

Thanks!!

Andy Didorosi
Paper Street Detroit
Welovepaperstreet.com
313-427-9668

Wanted to add another plug for Cobot. I really appreciate the quick response time and turnaround on bug fixes and the fairly frequent updates.

I havent tried other systems but wanted to share my experience :slight_smile: