Locking doors system

I’ve been interested in the Honeywell NetAXS-123 system. I only need a 1 door solution right now, but this can take expansion boards to support up to 3 doors if we remodel. TCP/IP connectivity lets me put it on our internal network for programming, supports power over ethernet (PoE) or can use AC and a backup battery. It runs a built-in webserver for browser-based configuration so everything is locally controlled, but you have an option for remote access too. I can tie it in with our alarm system so that will disarm when a user swipes. I’m finally seeing some reviews on Amazon and the biggest criticism is the web server is slow and the setup isn’t intuitive.

It has a lot of nice features. One supported scenario I want, like when I’m at GCUC, is for the door to be unlocked M-F 9a-6p, but it won’t unlock automatically until the first cardholder swipes in after 9am. They refer to it as a “snow day” feature. Obviously, you can set up 24/7 access for some members, but the building wouldn’t be “open for business” until a member shows up during regular hours.

Downside is it looks like it would run around the $700 - $1K mark with the magnetic lock we’d need. Also, Honeywell doesn’t support DIYers, so it might be wise to get a professional install the system. Probably a good idea anyway, since fire code compliance has some requirements on ease of exit if someone is working at 2am and wants to keep the doors locked for their security.

Glen Ferguson

Phone: 301-732-5165

Email: [email protected]

Address: 122 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701

···

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Jacob Sayles [email protected] wrote:

Yeah most of these systems are far less expensive and are residential not commercial level hardware. For commercial doors you need an electric strike in the door frame and it should be installed by a professional locksmith. We have a commercial system at Office Nomads using ISONAS readers but it was $5K and many people find that too expensive. The system I built at The Red Victorian Hotel also uses an electric strike and I’m hopeful it could be a suitable replacement, but I need more time/money to develop it in to something solid.

What other commercial systems are in use here? Anything I should have my eye on? Anything that is less then $1K/door?

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Bryan Boyer [email protected] wrote:

Does anyone have experience with a lock system for storefront style doors? Most of these wifi-locks seem to only work on a basic wooden door.
-bryan

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 9:36:58 AM UTC-4, Ahoy! Berlin wrote:

Hi everyone,

we are Ahoy, coworking space from Berlin - Charlottenburg.

We are planning to open a new coworking space and at the moment we are trying to find the best solution/system for locking doors of the offices and main entrance. We want to provide 24/7 entrance. Currently we are using keys, but this is a big mess:)

We are thinking about magnet cards for locking doors (the same most of hotels have) and also that would be possible to purchase with them at our bar.

Do anyone have any experiences what is the best system and maybe which company can provide us this kind of products, solutions?

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin
T*: *+49 173 7079148

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

We ended up with a system from Tyco. They installed a Kantech 400 panel with ProxID readers, electric strikes and T.Rex hardware on 3 doors. I believe this was about $2000 installed. It’s connected to our network and it is programmed through a system Tyco calls EntrePass. There is a web client that uses Silverlight (really only works on Windows machines) and there are also IOS and Android clients. So we can check the status of the system, lock/unlock or run reports from anywhere.

Just throwing it out there.

I just bought SESAME (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1425492550/sesame-your-key-reinvented) and still anxious to see how it’ll work.
Basically you just plug the product over the lock system and control open/close thru an app (iOS and Android). By using it, we know who, when, what time and for how long that person stayed in the coworking.

No key or card needed.

Is there any other solution like that? As I said, haven’t tried it yet, still waiting to be shipped.

Thanks,

Lucas Judice

···

Em quarta-feira, 15 de abril de 2015 06:36:58 UTC-7, Ahoy! Berlin escreveu:

Hi everyone,

We are planning to open a new coworking space and at the moment we are trying to find the best solution/system for locking doors of the offices and main entrance. We want to provide 24/7 entrance. Currently we are using keys, but this is a big mess:)

We are thinking about magnet cards for locking doors (the same most of hotels have) and also that would be possible to purchase with them at our bar.

Do anyone have any experiences what is the best system and maybe which company can provide us this kind of products, solutions?

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

There are a few solutions like that including Lockitron, August, and Goji. This works fine if you know everyone is going to have a smartphone, but many situations can’t make that assumption. That said, these look like cool projects and I’d love to hear your experience with SESAME when you get one.

···

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Lucas Judice [email protected] wrote:

I just bought SESAME (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1425492550/sesame-your-key-reinvented) and still anxious to see how it’ll work.
Basically you just plug the product over the lock system and control open/close thru an app (iOS and Android). By using it, we know who, when, what time and for how long that person stayed in the coworking.

No key or card needed.

Is there any other solution like that? As I said, haven’t tried it yet, still waiting to be shipped.

Thanks,

Lucas Judice

Em quarta-feira, 15 de abril de 2015 06:36:58 UTC-7, Ahoy! Berlin escreveu:

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

Hi Jerome,

Not sure I understand your question, but… we do have cabels that people can connect to directly and that’s how many people end up printing. The printers are also on the network, and many people connect to them that way (but not without frequent glitches). But the printer was just an example about why I’m worried about a door system that depends reliable connection network via wifi.

Will

···

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 4:09:20 PM UTC+2, Jerome wrote:

Will, can you connect the printers via cable but shared on the network?

Jerome

www.BLANKSPACES.com

On Apr 29, 2015, at 1:44 AM, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace [email protected] wrote:

Hi Folks, Jon, Craig,

For both the Clay device and the Remote Lock: they look great, but…

Am I misunderstanding something or does this mean that if the wifi link between door and internet goes down for some reason, members can’t get into the space? We’ve had so much trouble just keeping our printers on the (functioning wifi), I’d hate for access to the building to depend on that connection always working. Or is my concern unjustified for some reason?

Will

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 11:30:43 PM UTC+2, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

You got it Jacob and thanks for adding the link. It looks like a good system.

When you say your “printers are also on the network”, are they on via cabled-connection? Or thru the printer’s wi-fi?
JEROME CHANG

WEST: Santa Monica
1450 2nd Street (@Broadway) | ph: (310) 526-2255

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) | ph: (323) 330-9505

EAST: Downtown
529 S. Broadway, Suite 4000 (@Pershing Square) | ph: (213) 550-2235

NORTH: Pasadena (Opening 2015 Q4!)
600 E. Colorado Blvd. (@Los Robles)

···

On Apr 30, 2015, at 1:33 AM, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace [email protected] wrote:

Hi Jerome,

Not sure I understand your question, but… we do have cabels that people can connect to directly and that’s how many people end up printing. The printers are also on the network, and many people connect to them that way (but not without frequent glitches). But the printer was just an example about why I’m worried about a door system that depends reliable connection network via wifi.

Will

Jerome

www.BLANKSPACES.com

On Apr 29, 2015, at 1:44 AM, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace [email protected] wrote:

Hi Folks, Jon, Craig,

Am I misunderstanding something or does this mean that if the wifi link between door and internet goes down for some reason, members can’t get into the space? We’ve had so much trouble just keeping our printers on the (functioning wifi), I’d hate for access to the building to depend on that connection always working. Or is my concern unjustified for some reason?

Will

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 11:30:43 PM UTC+2, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

One is via cabled connection, the others are via wifi (because they don’t have the cable connection option). The one connected by cable has similar problems though.

···

On Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 2:10:48 PM UTC+2, Jerome wrote:

When you say your “printers are also on the network”, are they on via cabled-connection? Or thru the printer’s wi-fi?
JEROME CHANG

WEST: Santa Monica
1450 2nd Street (@Broadway) | ph: (310) 526-2255

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) | ph: (323) 330-9505

EAST: Downtown
529 S. Broadway, Suite 4000 (@Pershing Square) | ph: (213) 550-2235

NORTH: Pasadena (Opening 2015 Q4!)
600 E. Colorado Blvd. (@Los Robles)

On Apr 30, 2015, at 1:33 AM, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace [email protected] wrote:

Hi Jerome,

Will

Jerome

www.BLANKSPACES.com

Hi Folks, Jon, Craig,

Will

The Lockstate one gets awful reviews on Amazon for a variety of models. It doesn’t seem like they have the durability and quality standards when technology is involved. However, the Shlage Connected devices get high reviews but uses z-wave technology and limits codes up to 30. This is not a bad thing but it will require some more setup time and a Z-wave bridge to be purchased. Not a big deal but plan on adding $100. In total the setup will costs about $350.

I talked to members and they seem fine with the 30 code limit because our 3500 sq. ft space can only have up to 70 or so members. This just means that every doesn’t get to custom their own code and there will be two or three people using the same code. If I need to change or take away code then I just have to do that and change it for people. Members don’t feel like this is a big deal and it probably isn’t.

It’s a balance of what I truly want and what I’m happy to pay for. $350 verse $1500 to $2000 seems to my balance.

Craig - whatup from Chicago :slight_smile: I have the Schlage lock and have been pretty pleased b/c it’s very easy, user friendly and intuitive. I use the Nexia bridge to control it. Remote unlock, lock, delete access, setup access times, etc. All very affordable and intuitive. Can be controlled from your phone. The only issue for me is the 30 code limit. I’d rather not have members sharing codes so that it’s easier to track access, and who has been in and out (if needed).

···

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 1:39:01 PM UTC-5, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

The Lockstate one gets awful reviews on Amazon for a variety of models. It doesn’t seem like they have the durability and quality standards when technology is involved. However, the Shlage Connected devices get high reviews but uses z-wave technology and limits codes up to 30. This is not a bad thing but it will require some more setup time and a Z-wave bridge to be purchased. Not a big deal but plan on adding $100. In total the setup will costs about $350.

I talked to members and they seem fine with the 30 code limit because our 3500 sq. ft space can only have up to 70 or so members. This just means that every doesn’t get to custom their own code and there will be two or three people using the same code. If I need to change or take away code then I just have to do that and change it for people. Members don’t feel like this is a big deal and it probably isn’t.

It’s a balance of what I truly want and what I’m happy to pay for. $350 verse $1500 to $2000 seems to my balance.

Hi Ahoy,
We really like using RFID scan/locks from Paxton. They are reasonably priced and have a great user interface. We use them on all conference rooms, entry doors and private offices. They have ones that are battery-powered and wifi controlled – nothing to wire. Everything is contained in the door handle - scanner and all! It’s an English company, so may be easy for you to get in Berlin.

···

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 6:36:58 AM UTC-7, Ahoy! Berlin wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

Hi Jacques,

How happy are you guys with the Tyco system?

Bernhard

getkisi.com

···

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 2:56:26 PM UTC-4, Jacques Paquin wrote:

We ended up with a system from Tyco. They installed a Kantech 400 panel with ProxID readers, electric strikes and T.Rex hardware on 3 doors. I believe this was about $2000 installed. It’s connected to our network and it is programmed through a system Tyco calls EntrePass. There is a web client that uses Silverlight (really only works on Windows machines) and there are also IOS and Android clients. So we can check the status of the system, lock/unlock or run reports from anywhere.

Just throwing it out there.

Hi guys,

If anyone is moving in a new space and might find an existing keyfob / keycard system in place this could be helpful:

https://blog.getkisi.com/4-office-solutions-for-old-key-fob-systems/

(disclaimer: I am one of the founders of getkisi.com)

···

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

Hey Jot,

I know this is a year later but hope you don’t mind me following this up!

After your recommendation I have been trying to get in touch with Clay but their website is giving a ridiculous response to any contact form request “Sending your message failed. Please try again later, or try another way to contact us.”

Could you pass on a contact for them so I can get in touch?

Thanks!

Matt

···

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 11:27:49 AM UTC+1, @jot wrote:

We’re using Clay by Salto at The Skiff: https://my-clay.com/

It’s been almost a year since we had them installed. We did loads of research and it was the only system we could install given the way our door frames have been made - the locks work as replacements for standard Euro Locks and Yale Locks - I don’t think they work with US standard locks.

Clay take security extremely seriously which has had a negative knock on effect on the user experience - lots of different security codes involved in administration tasks. But it does the job and everyone’s agreed that it’s far better than how we used to operate with physical keys and leaving the door unlocked during busy periods.

The hardware is rock solid, tried and tested in Hotels and large institutions for years under the Salto brand. Clay is the software layer that’s relatively new and makes it easy administer through web and mobile apps.

Let me know if you have any more questions about them. I’ve been meaning to write up a full review for a while.

Jon

On 17 April 2015 at 10:57, Harald Amelung [email protected] wrote:

Ahoi Ahoy!

Have you heard about NoKi?

http://noki.io/de/?gclid=CODZq9SJ_cQCFQrJtAodKAoAHw

Best regards from Stuttgart

Harald

Am 15.04.15 um 15:36 schrieb Ahoy:

Hi everyone,

We are planning to open a new coworking space and at the moment we are

trying to find the best solution/system for locking doors of the offices

and main entrance. We want to provide 24/7 entrance. Currently we are

using keys, but this is a big mess:)

We are thinking about magnet cards for locking doors (the same most of

hotels have) and also that would be possible to purchase with them at

our bar.

Do anyone have any experiences what is the best system and maybe which

company can provide us this kind of products, solutions?

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin

Windscheidstr. 18

10627 Berlin

/T//: //+49 173 7079148/

http://www.ahoyberlin.com/ <http://www.ahoyberlin.com/>

<https://www.facebook.com/ahoyberlin>

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send

an email to [email protected]

mailto:[email protected].

Coworking0711 - Zusammen flexibel sind wir weniger allein

http://coworking0711.de

— You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

Jonathan Markwell

Lessons learned building better workplaces: http://jonathanmarkwell.com

Work better in Brighton: http://theskiff.org

Coworking community with workspace in North Laine.

Find your coworking community: http://worksnug.com

Worldwide workspace directory that puts communities first.

Ship your digital product: http://coderfounders.com

Coaching for businesses that want to make money while they sleep.

+44 (0)7766 021 485

Hey Tjaša,

I’m based in London and I know the guys at Sclak and Kisi. Both awesome. Not sure if you’re looking for exactly this kinda thing, but thought I would throw it in the mix anyways :slight_smile:

If you’re interested I’m happy to intro you!

Sclak - Home | Sclak

Kisi - https://getkisi.com/

Best,

Jessica

···

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 2:36:58 PM UTC+1, Ahoy! Berlin wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

http://www.ahoyberlin.com/

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the shout out!

Cheers,

Karen

···

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Leslie [email protected] wrote:

I can vouch for Kisi, we are currently installing them, reach out to max [email protected] ,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Jessica Knapp [email protected] wrote:

Hey Tjaša,

I’m based in London and I know the guys at Sclak and Kisi. Both awesome. Not sure if you’re looking for exactly this kinda thing, but thought I would throw it in the mix anyways :slight_smile:

Sclak - http://www.sclak.com/en/

Best,

Jessica

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/nh0o_xlI_Yo/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Karen Taborda

Sales Manager

KISI Inc.

20 Jay Street

Brooklyn, NY 11201

[email protected] | www.getkisi.com I 646-663-4886 KISI Overview Video

Check out my recent *blogpost on how to check if your office needs a new security system. *

Bryan,
Try searching “narrow stile” that will at least get you in the right family of locks. If you can’t afford the electric strike, you can get a mechanical push button style one for about $160. It will have zero cute features but does the job.

···

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 10:17:57 AM UTC-6, Bryan Boyer wrote:

Does anyone have experience with a lock system for storefront style doors? Most of these wifi-locks seem to only work on a basic wooden door.

-bryan

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

Hi there,

I’m in the process of setting up a coworking space in the UK. The space will be small initially for only around 20-30 people. Is kisi good value for this size of business?
It is 2017 now, have there been and new systems released that are worth a look?

cheers,
Max

···

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 4:29:13 PM UTC+1, Leslie T. wrote:

I can vouch for Kisi, we are currently installing them, reach out to max [email protected] ,

Hey Tjaša,

Best,

Jessica

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/nh0o_xlI_Yo/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Hi Max,
We really like Paxton for an door lock/ access system. It’s an English company. We put RFID locks on every door — all offices, conference rooms, front/back doors. We like theirs because everything is built into the door handle — electronic lock, scanner, door handle — and it’s all battery powered and wifi. So when we go into a new place, we just replace the handle, and we can take it with you if you leave.

By doing this, we can turn any space instantly into day use. People have to scan in (to unlock), and they want to scan out to stop the clock. We also like this system because there’s no ongoing monthly cost, it’s fairly priced, and the software interface is really simple.
Barbara Sprenger

[email protected]

···

On May 5, 2017, at 2:31 AM, Max Humphreys [email protected] wrote:

Hi there,

I’m in the process of setting up a coworking space in the UK. The space will be small initially for only around 20-30 people. Is kisi good value for this size of business?
It is 2017 now, have there been and new systems released that are worth a look?

cheers,
Max

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 4:29:13 PM UTC+1, Leslie T. wrote:

Hey Tjaša,

Best,

Jessica

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin

Dennis at https://proximity.space!

···

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 8:36:58 AM UTC-5, Ahoy! Berlin wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Cheers!

Tjaša Jarc

Ahoy! Berlin
Windscheidstr. 18
10627 Berlin