Layout advice & maybe a word of encouragement

I’m about to kick off my build out and I’m still hedging on the layout of the space.

We’ll be coffee shop up front and business in the back…it’s about 3,000 sq ft.

The coffee space will be lounge, barstool and communal tables. Daily drop ins can reserve a hot seat and pay by the day…

In the back, I have an office, a meeting room, phone booths and room for a mix of desks, communal tables and a couch area.

I’m debating whether to forget about the couch situation in the back given I have it in the front by the coffee for members that want to step away from their work for a few minutes and chill…my business partner really wanted to have a fireplace, couch and chairs in the back but he’s just bailed on me so…I’m re-thinking.

We have a high demand for event space in our suburban Chicago location so I want it to be flexible enough to shift desks and tables to open it up for an event…

Thoughts? And…as you can imagine…I’m taking a deep breath after this guy leaves in the 11th hour…I still believe in the business plan, location, concept…but, a bit of a gut punch.

Thanks!
Mike

Mike,

I took a deep breath for you.

We have a small lounge area in our open work area. This area also serves as our small event space for afterhours gatherings. All the furniture we have is easily moveable if need be. The lounge area anchors the space nicely and our members have had informal meetings in the lounge instead of the conference room. Is the lounge area in the coffee shop for members only?

Don’t forget, you can adapt as the needs of your membership change.

Best of luck,

Wendy

···

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:51 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Coworking] Layout advice & maybe a word of encouragement…

I’m about to kick off my build out and I’m still hedging on the layout of the space.

The coffee space will be lounge, barstool and communal tables. Daily drop ins can reserve a hot seat and pay by the day…

In the back, I have an office, a meeting room, phone booths and room for a mix of desks, communal tables and a couch area.

I’m debating whether to forget about the couch situation in the back given I have it in the front by the coffee for members that want to step away from their work for a few minutes and chill…my business partner really wanted to have a fireplace, couch and chairs in the back but he’s just bailed on me so…I’m re-thinking.

We have a high demand for event space in our suburban Chicago location so I want it to be flexible enough to shift desks and tables to open it up for an event…

Thoughts? And…as you can imagine…I’m taking a deep breath after this guy leaves in the 11th hour…I still believe in the business plan, location, concept…but, a bit of a gut punch.

Thanks!
Mike

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You may want to consider additional private offices if you have the space. We’ve been getting increasing requests for more private offices lately, we’ve actually got a waiting list now. I’ll give you some context.

Our space is 4K sq ft, we’ve got a lounge area that stays a lounge area most of the time, occasionally we shift the furniture slightly to set up a bar in that area for events which we use in conjunction with our open desk area which we also call our cafe space since it’s right next to the kitchen.

We also have a large classroom/quiet zone that’s mostly been used as a quiet zone. But it’s being underutilized, and so we’re considering converting that into private offices (though we would be giving up our biggest space that is enclosed). We have 4 meeting rooms, 3 phone booths and 2 private offices. The 2 private offices are booked full time for the foreseeable future. So we’re presently getting a design and a quote on converting our classroom/quiet zone into 5 small private offices, and for converting a nook we have up front into either 2 meeting rooms and/or phone booths. Part of the reason for this is we’ve established a ‘‘quiet culture’’ in the open space with regards to taking phone calls, so we encourage people to use phone booths and when they get filled up, then use whatever meeting room is available, no need to book it if it’s just for a short call. This has helped contribute to the increased demand for more phone booths, meeting rooms and private offices.

I realize you’ve got 3K sq ft to work with, but if you do have enough space, I wanted to suggest keeping private offices in mind. You can’t ‘‘overbook’’ them like you can with hot desks, but each office can provide significantly more revenue than even 2 or 3 part time memberships.

···

Alejandro Moreno S.
Cofounder/VP VenturePad

SEC Marin Organizer
LinkedIn Twitter

Hi All

We have 5, 000sqf in Boxworks Co.Work.Space. consisting of 12 private offices; 22 flexi desks, large couch reception/event space area, 2 large conference rooms, 1 podcast room being soundproofed as we speak, large vintage table tennis area for coworkers meetings/Friday drinks/ brain storming.

Kitchen area LG coffee bean machine

We are now launching our second building for expanding companies. 17 offices …no desks…

0ur private offices have a waiting list! Usually filled while the previous coworker is going down the stairs & out the door. Can’t have enough of them tbh.

www.boxworks.ie

Hope that’s helpful on the office front Mike…not sure about the fireplace…bit cosy for a cowork urban space maybe?

Emer Powell

···

On Tue 5 Feb 2019, 5:32 PM Alejandro Moreno, [email protected] wrote:

You may want to consider additional private offices if you have the space. We’ve been getting increasing requests for more private offices lately, we’ve actually got a waiting list now. I’ll give you some context.

Our space is 4K sq ft, we’ve got a lounge area that stays a lounge area most of the time, occasionally we shift the furniture slightly to set up a bar in that area for events which we use in conjunction with our open desk area which we also call our cafe space since it’s right next to the kitchen.

We also have a large classroom/quiet zone that’s mostly been used as a quiet zone. But it’s being underutilized, and so we’re considering converting that into private offices (though we would be giving up our biggest space that is enclosed). We have 4 meeting rooms, 3 phone booths and 2 private offices. The 2 private offices are booked full time for the foreseeable future. So we’re presently getting a design and a quote on converting our classroom/quiet zone into 5 small private offices, and for converting a nook we have up front into either 2 meeting rooms and/or phone booths. Part of the reason for this is we’ve established a ‘‘quiet culture’’ in the open space with regards to taking phone calls, so we encourage people to use phone booths and when they get filled up, then use whatever meeting room is available, no need to book it if it’s just for a short call. This has helped contribute to the increased demand for more phone booths, meeting rooms and private offices.

I realize you’ve got 3K sq ft to work with, but if you do have enough space, I wanted to suggest keeping private offices in mind. You can’t ‘‘overbook’’ them like you can with hot desks, but each office can provide significantly more revenue than even 2 or 3 part time memberships.

Alejandro Moreno S.
Cofounder/VP VenturePad

SEC Marin Organizer
LinkedIn Twitter

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Wendy [email protected] wrote:

Mike,

We have a small lounge area in our open work area. This area also serves as our small event space for afterhours gatherings. All the furniture we have is easily moveable if need be. The lounge area anchors the space nicely and our members have had informal meetings in the lounge instead of the conference room. Is the lounge area in the coffee shop for members only?

Best of luck,

Wendy

Thanks!
Mike

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

If they aren’t committed, then it’s good they are out now!! But, clearly you shine in and under pressure!!! I don’t have any good things to add other than it sounds like you have a lot figured out and are headed in a great direction!

Kindly,

Crystal

···

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 4:10 PM Emer Powell <[email protected] wrote:

Hi All

We have 5, 000sqf in Boxworks Co.Work.Space. consisting of 12 private offices; 22 flexi desks, large couch reception/event space area, 2 large conference rooms, 1 podcast room being soundproofed as we speak, large vintage table tennis area for coworkers meetings/Friday drinks/ brain storming.

We are now launching our second building for expanding companies. 17 offices …no desks…

0ur private offices have a waiting list! Usually filled while the previous coworker is going down the stairs & out the door. Can’t have enough of them tbh.

www.boxworks.ie

Hope that’s helpful on the office front Mike…not sure about the fireplace…bit cosy for a cowork urban space maybe?

Emer Powell

Alejandro Moreno S.
Cofounder/VP VenturePad

SEC Marin Organizer
LinkedIn Twitter

Mike,

Best of luck,

Wendy

Thanks!
Mike

Hi Emer,

I love the design of your space!

···

Gene Ward

Co-Founder and Director of Community Engagement

Cell: 202-658-6329 | Email: gene…@befunction.al | Website: www.befunction.al

.Tks Gene…designed by the director Jim (Flash Gordon) and myself…great creative space to work in.

Emer Powell

···

On Tue 5 Feb 2019, 11:17 PM Gene Ward, [email protected] wrote:

Hi Emer,

I love the design of your space!

Gene Ward

Co-Founder and Director of Community Engagement

Cell: 202-658-6329 | Email: gene…@befunction.al | Website: www.befunction.al

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM Emer Powell [email protected] wrote:

Hi All

www.boxworks.ie

Emer Powell

Alejandro Moreno S.
Cofounder/VP VenturePad

SEC Marin Organizer
LinkedIn Twitter

Mike,

Best of luck,

Wendy

Thanks!
Mike