Introducing the camaraderie artisan market

Hey folks,

I have exciting news and a question.

We’ve been looking for a way to engage local small-scale manufacturers and artisans with our coworking space, and encourage shopping locally. When the ground floor and basement of our building opened up, we quickly realised what that could look like.

We started a new membership level for artisans, manufacturers, designers, artists, and makers to be members of our coworking space and use parts of the building for what they need.

Last week we launched the Camaraderie Artisan Market. It’s a permanent retail store specifically for artisans and manufacturers. Members pay a monthly membership fee to have their goods sold in the market, which we staff and manage entirely, and we don’t take a commission on their sales (because we already charge them a monthly membership fee and won’t double dip). With their membership they can also use the basement to produce their goods, and use the 2nd and 3rd floor of the building for meetings with buyers, staff interviews, administration of their business, and collaboration with what are now our more traditional coworking members. It really is an all-inclusive use of the building and a way for us to celebrate local artisans in a collaborative way. And it’s pretty rad!

If you’re in town for GCUC Canada next month, I encourage you to come by for some shopping and I’ll chat with the artisans to see if we can offer a store-wide discount to conference attendees.

And so my question: I know of coworking spaces with makerspaces for makers to make goods and prototypes, and I know of coworking spaces for artists with artist studios, and I know of coworking spaces with cafes. But are there any other coworking spaces with retail for physical goods? I’m particularly curious if there are coworking spaces with retail like this that are exclusively for the members of their space. Anyone know of any?

r.

···

We’re located at 2241 Dundas St W, 3rd floor

(between Bloor and Roncesvalles)

Find us online:

Website/blog and Newsletter, Twitter,

Facebook, Google+, Yelp, and LinkedIn

New Camaraderie locations:

Artisan Market (Toronto) - now open!

Port Credit (Mississauga) - summer 2015

We’re a proud member of CoworkingToronto,

CoworkingOntario, and CoworkingCanada!

BeSpoke in the Westfield Mall in SF

Jerome

···

Find us online:

This is the closest thing I’ve seen in Vancouver. I know Yash and could facilitate an introduction if you think that’d be helpful:

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/proprietors+broaden+their+exposure+with+Chinatown+Experiment/9584014/story.html

···

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:39 AM, rachel young [email protected] wrote:

Hey folks,

We’ve been looking for a way to engage local small-scale manufacturers and artisans with our coworking space, and encourage shopping locally. When the ground floor and basement of our building opened up, we quickly realised what that could look like.

We started a new membership level for artisans, manufacturers, designers, artists, and makers to be members of our coworking space and use parts of the building for what they need.

Last week we launched the Camaraderie Artisan Market. It’s a permanent retail store specifically for artisans and manufacturers. Members pay a monthly membership fee to have their goods sold in the market, which we staff and manage entirely, and we don’t take a commission on their sales (because we already charge them a monthly membership fee and won’t double dip). With their membership they can also use the basement to produce their goods, and use the 2nd and 3rd floor of the building for meetings with buyers, staff interviews, administration of their business, and collaboration with what are now our more traditional coworking members. It really is an all-inclusive use of the building and a way for us to celebrate local artisans in a collaborative way. And it’s pretty rad!

If you’re in town for GCUC Canada next month, I encourage you to come by for some shopping and I’ll chat with the artisans to see if we can offer a store-wide discount to conference attendees.

And so my question: I know of coworking spaces with makerspaces for makers to make goods and prototypes, and I know of coworking spaces for artists with artist studios, and I know of coworking spaces with cafes. But are there any other coworking spaces with retail for physical goods? I’m particularly curious if there are coworking spaces with retail like this that are exclusively for the members of their space. Anyone know of any?

r.

Find us online:

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Aaron Cruikshank
Principal, CRUIKSHANK

phone: 778.908.4560

e-mail: [email protected]

web: cruikshank.me

twitter: @cruikshank

book a meeting: doodle.com/cruikshank

linkedin: in/cruikshank

Rachel, that’s so incredibly awesome. Congrats!

I don’t know of anything quite like that. Looking forward to seeing it in real life next month!

Tony

Projects: The Great Coworking Community Help-A-ThonCotivation

Connect: TwitterFacebookLinkedIn

···

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:39 PM, rachel young [email protected] wrote:

Hey folks,

r.

Find us online:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Nice!

That’s such a nice ‘full-circle’ element to include, I’m a big fan of the model, and congrats on the expansion!

We used to do this at Xpace in 2004-2005, and we called it simply The Corner Store.

It evolved out of a monthly retail event we used to host there called The Art Market.

Our members were able to display and sell their work and wares in a typical retail setting in Kensington Market, in one of our giant garage door / front window sections of the shared space. We added a few gallery walls, display cases, clothing racks and shelves to the existing set up and staffed it Wednesday to Sunday.

We learned that it was easier for us to sell each-others work than it was to sell our own.

It’s weird to talk about how great your own work is, and so we switched roles often and took turns working the store and handling sales, tours and visitors to the exhibition space.

It was an additional revenue stream for the space (we sold a bit of branded merchandise) and for the artist / maker members. And it brought a lot of new people in that wouldn’t have thought to visit us otherwise, so we increased our event attendance and our members also benefitted from that.

The retail element was eventually removed (as the space has moved twice over the last 10 years and the mandate of the space has also changed over the years). But I would consider the model a solid one. It works in an exhibition / gallery setting for artist studios as well as long as the retail section is separated from the workspace to minimize interruption and wandering :slight_smile:

You should come to GCUC Canada and/or independently tour some of the other collaborative spaces like Walnut Studios, Graven Feather, or some of the Artscape properties in Toronto for similar artisan workspace/retail models.

Best of luck!

Ashley

Creative Blueprint & Foundery

www.creativeblueprint.ca

www.foundery.is

The Foundery Buildings

376 Bathurst Street

Toronto, ON, Canada

M5T 2S6

···

Find us online:

Hi, Rachel,

We have been floundering around in a related space, the intersection of webshop/retail shop, for a while now and have made all the mistakes i think so feel free, our pain might as well benefit somebody. :slight_smile:

Our problem has been that the intersection between manufacturing and online/traditional retail is in such a state of flux that we find ourselves inventing workarounds as we go; this has resulted in the coworkers using several of our spaces at the same time for different .aspects of their businesses. Some people love this. Others not so much.

We started actually by having a space dedicted to coworkers in webshop and online services, import/export, etcetera, in a warehouse space. As they grow we all discover that there is a desire for both online and offline experience. That space cannot really handle all of that so those coworker found as their business developed that they were using the warehouse space for online and our other nearby location for office/meeting/display and sales. But the traditional mixed use location we have, does not really have the space necessary for fabrication, storage, packing and shipping of product. So they move those activities to the warehouse space.

Some people love this and others not so much. We are now as a community looking for a new location to accomodate all of these.

You are starting off from the other end if you like, so maybe we can learn from each other.

Are you staffing with coworkers, or are you hiring people as the coworking space? This has been an interesting question for me for a long time.

···

This sounds excellent! Can’t wait to check out in person (possibly with Tony B) next month at GCUC Canada!

We’ve experimented with this as well at Dallas Fort Work, but not in any form of permanent capacity. We’ve had two iterations of what we called “Little Downtown Market” in collaboration with an existing Etsy Bazaar organizer. Each of the 40-50 vendors came and set up their own booths to sell their wares for 3-4 hours and we were able to get an alcohol sponsor to provide free libations as well. We were able to draw 300-400 people to each event and it barely generated enough sales to be worth it for the vendors. About 1/4 asked for a refund on their booth fees as we’d offered a moneyback guarantee to ensure a packed house of vendors.

What we found is that it wasn’t worth the vendors time to pay, come and setup without a large crowd of people. I understand that your model is a bit different in terms of being worth someone’s time, but the sales side of it is a very similar consideration.

We also have a full-time art gallery where we sell art from local artists and discovered something very similar. We pretty much old were successful at selling pieces on opening nights with the support of a large public event that drew 100’s of people. The 15-20 people walking into the art gallery a day wasn’t enough to generate any meaningful sales.

So to make a long story short, what we found is that the goods don’t sell themselves. They need a large group of people to see them (preferably all at once) to generate sales. And in terms of being worth people’s time to staff the shop, it definitely requires a density of people all at once to be worth it.

When we looked at alternatives of drawing people in smaller buckets, we kept running into the same consideration, which was why have 10 50 person events if you can have one 500 person event with almost the same costs?

Hope that experience is useful to you,
Oren

···

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 1:39:57 PM UTC-5, ruyoung wrote:

Hey folks,

r.

Find us online:

Thanks for the explanation of your issues, Jeannine. Some of our artisan members have asked about warehouse storage, fulfilment, and packaging space now that they have space for retail, production, and administration. While we don’t have room for warehousing and don’t have the capacity for fulfilment, we could build that in to an additional space that is much further way and add that as a benefit to the artisan members. I hear your struggles about how the spaces could/have/haven’t interacted. And as we both know, you can’t please everyone.

As for staffing for the market, there are 4 part time employees right now; two are members and the other two are not, and one that is not is also a member of the coworking space upstairs. It was a matter of who is best suited to work retail, which is not everyone. They also need to be comfortable answering questions for prospective members, specifically how it is a collaborative space, what the membership benefits are, etc. So far they’ve been great, and I spend some time working in the market and in the basement production space so that I can help to encourage collaboration between artisans, help them with the space, get to know the neighbours, etc.

r.

···

On 11 August 2015 at 08:49, Jeannine [email protected] wrote:

Hi, Rachel,

We have been floundering around in a related space, the intersection of webshop/retail shop, for a while now and have made all the mistakes i think so feel free, our pain might as well benefit somebody. :slight_smile:

Our problem has been that the intersection between manufacturing and online/traditional retail is in such a state of flux that we find ourselves inventing workarounds as we go; this has resulted in the coworkers using several of our spaces at the same time for different .aspects of their businesses. Some people love this. Others not so much.

We started actually by having a space dedicted to coworkers in webshop and online services, import/export, etcetera, in a warehouse space. As they grow we all discover that there is a desire for both online and offline experience. That space cannot really handle all of that so those coworker found as their business developed that they were using the warehouse space for online and our other nearby location for office/meeting/display and sales. But the traditional mixed use location we have, does not really have the space necessary for fabrication, storage, packing and shipping of product. So they move those activities to the warehouse space.

Some people love this and others not so much. We are now as a community looking for a new location to accomodate all of these.

You are starting off from the other end if you like, so maybe we can learn from each other.

Are you staffing with coworkers, or are you hiring people as the coworking space? This has been an interesting question for me for a long time.

Find us online:

Thanks Oren. By all means, come on by!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Gallery space can certainly be hard, and we do have some members who sell paintings and other artwork (gallery category products, rather than lip balm and t-shirts and coffee, for the sake of simplifying for this conversation) who sell a bit slower than others, but they are still happy having the foot traffic see their art. We’ve had pop up markets too when we were located downtown before we moved to the west end, and we’ve had others host their own pop up markets here on occasion as well, but with the foot traffic with the density of people that a store needs to sustain itself, the proximity to transit and specific neighbourhoods, and specifically having the ground floor and basement units become available, we decided to go all out for the permanent retail space. And I’m so glad we did!

We’ve seen some interesting collaboration between artisan members thus far, which has been really cool.

r.

···

On 11 August 2015 at 22:47, [email protected] [email protected] wrote:

This sounds excellent! Can’t wait to check out in person (possibly with Tony B) next month at GCUC Canada!

We’ve experimented with this as well at Dallas Fort Work, but not in any form of permanent capacity. We’ve had two iterations of what we called “Little Downtown Market” in collaboration with an existing Etsy Bazaar organizer. Each of the 40-50 vendors came and set up their own booths to sell their wares for 3-4 hours and we were able to get an alcohol sponsor to provide free libations as well. We were able to draw 300-400 people to each event and it barely generated enough sales to be worth it for the vendors. About 1/4 asked for a refund on their booth fees as we’d offered a moneyback guarantee to ensure a packed house of vendors.

What we found is that it wasn’t worth the vendors time to pay, come and setup without a large crowd of people. I understand that your model is a bit different in terms of being worth someone’s time, but the sales side of it is a very similar consideration.

We also have a full-time art gallery where we sell art from local artists and discovered something very similar. We pretty much old were successful at selling pieces on opening nights with the support of a large public event that drew 100’s of people. The 15-20 people walking into the art gallery a day wasn’t enough to generate any meaningful sales.

So to make a long story short, what we found is that the goods don’t sell themselves. They need a large group of people to see them (preferably all at once) to generate sales. And in terms of being worth people’s time to staff the shop, it definitely requires a density of people all at once to be worth it.

When we looked at alternatives of drawing people in smaller buckets, we kept running into the same consideration, which was why have 10 50 person events if you can have one 500 person event with almost the same costs?

Hope that experience is useful to you,
Oren

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 1:39:57 PM UTC-5, ruyoung wrote:

Hey folks,

r.

Find us online:

Find us online:

Neat. BeSpoke doesn’t look like full time retail, but I like their model. Being in a mall could likely help with the desity of people that Oren was mentioning.

r.

···

On 10 August 2015 at 14:49, Jerome Chang [email protected] wrote:

BeSpoke in the Westfield Mall in SF

Jerome

On Aug 10, 2015, at 11:39 AM, rachel young [email protected] wrote:

Hey folks,

r.

Find us online:

Find us online: