Internet Speed

Hi All,

I want to discuss about internet speed. I want to hear peoples thought on the desirable internet speed required for a co-working environment with a capacity of say, 100 desk. Is uploading speed important as well? Is there any brand of controller and access point you can recommend. Is this necessary?

Thanks David

Two things you can't skimp on:

- good coffee
- good internet

Prices and service options vary so widely from region to region. But you're definitely looking to get as much upload and download speed as you can afford.

Upload is definitely important - but so is low latency and stability. Latency is basically how responsive the network is, measured in milliseconds. You can have all of the bandwidth but latency impacts things that many people rely on these days, like streaming and live video calls as well as remote connections to servers and VPNs.

Low latency is almost more important than bandwidth for a lot of uses (though they are related).

For example, we've struggled over the years with Comcast - even when they provide lots of bandwidth our latency would range from 40-100ms. We recently switched to a new local ISP and our latency is solidly 8-10ms. The difference is huge.

For wifi and networking gear, Unifi from Ubiquity is hands down the best. Others swear by Meraki and Cisco, which have HUGE annual service contracts required. Unifi is as powerful (or more, in my experience) and without the annual contracts.

Alex

···

On Aug 4, 2017, 8:16 AM -0400, David Yeung <[email protected]>, wrote:

Hi All,

I want to discuss about internet speed. I want to hear peoples thought on the desirable internet speed required for a co-working environment with a capacity of say, 100 desk. Is uploading speed important as well? Is there any brand of controller and access point you can recommend. Is this necessary?

Thanks David
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to coworking+...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout\.

To answer you question directly, from my experience, you’ll need at least 200/200, but my guess is 300/300

JEROME CHANG

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

WEST: Santa Monica | 1450 2nd St (@Broadway)

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)

EAST: Downtown | 529 S. Broadway, Ste 4000 (@Pershing Square)

···

On Aug 4, 2017, at 5:04 AM, David Yeung [email protected] wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks David

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi David,
Check the contention ratio on your Fibre and pick the best you can afford. Upload is super important!
Our space (capetownoffice.com) has 90+ seats and we have 100Mbps on a 2:1 contention and this works fine.

Connectivity is also both by Ethernet & Wifi - you can spend an awful lot on AP’s (we have Ubiquity) but it’ll never be as stable as LAN.

Hope that helps.

Lizelle

···

On Friday, 4 August 2017 13:16:08 UTC+1, David Yeung wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks David

If you go with Ubiquity then spend the $80 on their controller. It will automatically balance the load and keep your internet speed more stable. I’m a fan of Ubiquity AP as a solution for coworking spaces.