Internet connection - type/speed/cost

I got invaluable information from this group when setting up the wireless infrastructure at our cowork.

Now that members are starting to work there every day I’m concerned about capacity and speed.

We are running ubiquiti access points and a pfsense firewall connected to a cable internet connection 50/5.

I’ve done some general traffic shaping on the firewall but haven’t watched it yet to see how that performs, but I’m wondering when we start to saturate that available bandwidth where we’re going to go next.

What are other spaces using for their net connection? How much is that costing you? We’re paying right around $250 for that 50/5. I’d love fiber except that in our neighborhood that cost will jump significantly. There is one provider that is affordable but they are still in the build-out by neighborhood stage. They’d be around $250 for gigabit service. I’ve been hounding them! Others in the area start at over $1000/month. That’ll get me 100/10 fiber service.

Another 50/5 and do load balancing?

I have to believe that being in the heart of a major city with plenty of fiber has to be cheaper…

jacques

Actually it’s smaller cities like Kansas City where it’s easier to lay all new fiber. Seattle has horrible options and it’s mostly just cable. We went the route of a point-to-point link from our roof to one downtown (100/100). The guys we buy it from (Cascade Link) were a fledgling company when we started and now the have expanded quite a bit. There were a few such options in SF when I was setting up the hotel down there (Monkey Brains). You may have a few options where you are or you could share the cost of the line with other businesses you can see from your roof.

···

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 5:16 AM, Jacques Paquin [email protected] wrote:

I got invaluable information from this group when setting up the wireless infrastructure at our cowork.

Now that members are starting to work there every day I’m concerned about capacity and speed.

We are running ubiquiti access points and a pfsense firewall connected to a cable internet connection 50/5.

I’ve done some general traffic shaping on the firewall but haven’t watched it yet to see how that performs, but I’m wondering when we start to saturate that available bandwidth where we’re going to go next.

What are other spaces using for their net connection? How much is that costing you? We’re paying right around $250 for that 50/5. I’d love fiber except that in our neighborhood that cost will jump significantly. There is one provider that is affordable but they are still in the build-out by neighborhood stage. They’d be around $250 for gigabit service. I’ve been hounding them! Others in the area start at over $1000/month. That’ll get me 100/10 fiber service.

Another 50/5 and do load balancing?

I have to believe that being in the heart of a major city with plenty of fiber has to be cheaper…

jacques

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.