I just fell in love with a printer

Creative Density is like many of your spaces with about 70 members and 3500 sq ft. We don’t charge for printing and we just ask that members don’t print a book. If they do, just buy some ink every once in a while. Members were going through about a set of ink each month costing me about $65. No biggie, but a noticeable line items at the end of the year.

A month ago we swapped out a 4 year old $200 Epson Workforce 6225, a mid range all in one home office printer, for an Epson ET-4500. The new Epson just got released this summer as a new line of printers targeting people that print a decent amount but they don’t need a workhorse. It’s still a simple home office or small business printer that doesn’t jam that often, scans, copies, connects to Wifi, easy to use. Basically, it’s simple and does everything most people need.

Here is where things get exciting. Epson decided to make money off the printer and charges $425 for it. They provide you with 2 years worth of ink and refills are only $50 for all of the colors and they will last 2 years. The 2 year refills are based on 150 pages a month. Creative Density probably does about that. Epson flipped the formula and they make money off the printer and not on the ink. It’s because I am much more comfortable with paying a one time hefty fee and they not having to refill expensive cartridges and keep them in stock. I love it.

The printer quality is good, the reliability is good, and the set up was easy. I think this is a great solution for all the other coworking spaces with similar amounts of members or less.

Amazing, Craig! Thanks for sharing!

Tony

···

On Monday, September 28, 2015, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

Creative Density is like many of your spaces with about 70 members and 3500 sq ft. We don’t charge for printing and we just ask that members don’t print a book. If they do, just buy some ink every once in a while. Members were going through about a set of ink each month costing me about $65. No biggie, but a noticeable line items at the end of the year.

A month ago we swapped out a 4 year old $200 Epson Workforce 6225, a mid range all in one home office printer, for an Epson ET-4500. The new Epson just got released this summer as a new line of printers targeting people that print a decent amount but they don’t need a workhorse. It’s still a simple home office or small business printer that doesn’t jam that often, scans, copies, connects to Wifi, easy to use. Basically, it’s simple and does everything most people need.

Here is where things get exciting. Epson decided to make money off the printer and charges $425 for it. They provide you with 2 years worth of ink and refills are only $50 for all of the colors and they will last 2 years. The 2 year refills are based on 150 pages a month. Creative Density probably does about that. Epson flipped the formula and they make money off the printer and not on the ink. It’s because I am much more comfortable with paying a one time hefty fee and they not having to refill expensive cartridges and keep them in stock. I love it.

The printer quality is good, the reliability is good, and the set up was easy. I think this is a great solution for all the other coworking spaces with similar amounts of members or less.

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Projects: Open CoworkingCotivation (read about it in Shareable!)

My new eBook: No More Sink Full of Mugs

Connect: TwitterFacebookLinkedIn

*See you in Milan? Coworking Europe is November 11-13. Use code *CWE15Affiliate19 for a discount!

I’m curious Craig, is there a reason you’re choosing to use inkjet instead of laser?

···

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast

Not Craig. :slight_smile: But we use inkjet instead of laser because our volume is simply not enough to justify a laser printer. It is of course cheaper in teh long run. But if the long run is 2 - 4x the amount of time we expect to actually keep the printer, it starts to look very academic. And high res inkjet is better for pictures and so on.

One of our coworkers has a laser printer and lets the very occasional person who has a large print run use it and we credit him the costs back. Which does make tht decision easier.

···

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 11:08:26 PM UTC+2, Alex Hillman wrote:

I’m curious Craig, is there a reason you’re choosing to use inkjet instead of laser?

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

Like Jeannine described it just made sense to use inkjet because we don’t have that high of volume. I like to stick to name brand toner so lasers are still more expensive compared to this Epson. This Epson is around $50 for all of the colors with an estimated 3600 pages. Plus, the quality is pretty stellar.

Awesome tip!

···

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 10:49:41 AM UTC-7, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

Hey Craig,

That sounds awesome! Wish it is available here in India. And yeah, as you said, one time costs are always better! Atleast we don’t have to stock cartridges or rush to buy some if we forget to replenish!

Cheers
Raghu

···

On Monday, 28 September 2015 23:19:41 UTC+5:30, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote: