How to organize events that actually build community (instead of just taking a bunch of time and effort)

Every time somebody asks this list “how should I start building the community for my coworking space?”, the answers that roll in are all about events.

And events are definitely a foundation element of community building. But not every event pays off. In fact, a lot of events don’t do a damn thing to help build the community…but that doesn’t stop them from taking a lot of time, effort, and in some cases money.

While we’re working on our own events “playbook” at Indy Hall, one of our alumni (who is an active member of New Work City) shared with me an awesome post that she wrote about designing events that actively contribute to building community connections. It was so good, I asked her to turn it into a guide as a guest post for my blog:

http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2014/02/how-to-design-community-building-events-that-people-will-love-and-remember/

Vanessa’s perspective is a powerful one: in addition to being someone who’s immersed herself in coworking as a community member in several coworking spaces around the world, she’s also a researcher, a learning designer, not to mention a woman and a TOTAL badass.

I hope that many of you find her guide to be helpful!

-Alex

···

/ah
indyhall.org

coworking in philadelphia

GReat great stuff! Thanks Alex!

···

Le mercredi 5 février 2014 03:29:31 UTC+1, Alex Hillman a écrit :

Every time somebody asks this list “how should I start building the community for my coworking space?”, the answers that roll in are all about events.

And events are definitely a foundation element of community building. But not every event pays off. In fact, a lot of events don’t do a damn thing to help build the community…but that doesn’t stop them from taking a lot of time, effort, and in some cases money.

While we’re working on our own events “playbook” at Indy Hall, one of our alumni (who is an active member of New Work City) shared with me an awesome post that she wrote about designing events that actively contribute to building community connections. It was so good, I asked her to turn it into a guide as a guest post for my blog:

http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2014/02/how-to-design-community-building-events-that-people-will-love-and-remember/

Vanessa’s perspective is a powerful one: in addition to being someone who’s immersed herself in coworking as a community member in several coworking spaces around the world, she’s also a researcher, a learning designer, not to mention a woman and a TOTAL badass.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org

This is amazing! Thanks for the share Alex. I’m still 5 months new to the coworking world as community manager for thincsavannah.com

I’m gaining new understandings and perspectives each day. Especially from this group. In talking about events, we launched a quarterly series for 2014: Year of the Local or YOTL.

Our debut event, Jan.10, with great reviews. Our goal for the series is gain more awareness about coworking and also bring our community of members and outside local businesses to work together in making Savannah an even better and unique city. The next event will be April 10 with a theme of sustainability. I know I’ll be utilizing Vanessa’s guide along the way!

Cheers,

···

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Emmanuel Chauvin [email protected] wrote:

GReat great stuff! Thanks Alex!

Le mercredi 5 février 2014 03:29:31 UTC+1, Alex Hillman a écrit :

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Elise Colcord
678-467-9328

LooseLeafDiaries

RunningHealth

LinkedIn

Remarkable article !

Thank you Alex and Vanessa.

Nicolas Bergé

Les Satellites