How to expand and offer Virtual Office

Good day, I’d just like to ask for your professional opinions. We are renting for a small space here for a coworking space and some clients would like to set up a virtual office. However, our contract with the building owner says that subleasing is not allowed. However, letting someone use the space’s address non-exclusively is not called subleasing right? If so, how do we go about it where we can still offer virtual office without it appearing as a subleasing kind of contract.

No it’s not subletting. Its basically the same membership agreement for coworking, you are just providing a service of mail collection and forwarding. Subletting would be if you were carving out a piece of your coworking facility and leasing it to them.

We have private offices but we dont lease them. Members sign a license agreement to use the office. Think hotel rooms. You pay a room rate but hold no lease hold rights to the space. Same type of agreement. No leasing, no problem

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)
Https://Growthli.com

© Growthli | A Place To Learn, Grow, & Office™

ATTENTION: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

···

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 3:56 AM andy [email protected] wrote:

Good day, I’d just like to ask for your professional opinions. We are renting for a small space here for a coworking space and some clients would like to set up a virtual office. However, our contract with the building owner says that subleasing is not allowed. However, letting someone use the space’s address non-exclusively is not called subleasing right? If so, how do we go about it where we can still offer virtual office without it appearing as a subleasing kind of contract.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I had the same issue and the feedback from the lawyer was the they have a licence to use the desk but not a lease. Issuing a lease gives the customer rights and typically the landlords don’t like that.

Other things I advised was to only issue the licence in 6 month blocks.

I hope that helps.

Bassey

Founder

Pine Hub, Dublin, Ireland

···

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 1:00 PM Joshua Webb [email protected] wrote:

No it’s not subletting. Its basically the same membership agreement for coworking, you are just providing a service of mail collection and forwarding. Subletting would be if you were carving out a piece of your coworking facility and leasing it to them.

We have private offices but we dont lease them. Members sign a license agreement to use the office. Think hotel rooms. You pay a room rate but hold no lease hold rights to the space. Same type of agreement. No leasing, no problem

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)
Https://Growthli.com

© Growthli | A Place To Learn, Grow, & Office™

ATTENTION: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 3:56 AM andy [email protected] wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

You need to speak with a lawyer in your city: laws governing commercial real estate vary greatly from place to place.

Nobody on this forum can tell you how to go about this without knowing where you are and what the law is in your jurisdiction, you need a lawyer for that.

The options are licensing, subleasing, and rental on the basis of sharing, but that covers quite a lot of ground and there are a number of issues that need to be looked at.

···

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 10:56:54 AM UTC+2, andy wrote:

I think this group is very useful to explore such questions. Yes, laws change from place to place, but mostly they are very similar. Even one choses to take professional consulting service from a property lawyer to reach final decision, it is still good to learn from others before talking to a lawyer. You may end up paying much less to a lawyer if you are educated on the matter. If they sense you know nothing about it they tend to complicate things instead of offering a simple solution.

···

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018, 11:54 Jeannine van der Linden [email protected] wrote:

You need to speak with a lawyer in your city: laws governing commercial real estate vary greatly from place to place.

Nobody on this forum can tell you how to go about this without knowing where you are and what the law is in your jurisdiction, you need a lawyer for that.

The options are licensing, subleasing, and rental on the basis of sharing, but that covers quite a lot of ground and there are a number of issues that need to be looked at.

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 10:56:54 AM UTC+2, andy wrote:

I agree

···

Eduardo Nobre
(85) 98605 0000 (OI)

“I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done”