How to colaborate with other coworking spaces?

Hello,

We opened the first coworking space in Merida Yucatán. 3 months later another one came up and a few week later another came up (merida is a small city). The coworking movement in here is absolutly new. They have never heard of “coworking” or “networking” so we are kind of evangelizing in the desert. It is difficult, is a challenge but I love it. I think that the city has a “momentum” of coworking and enterpreneur movement. So I thought to unite with other other two spaces and communicate about COWORKING and importantce in the community. I am afraid that they don´t know what a coworking space is. I know they have never worked on one before, and it is difficult to understand coworking if you have never tried it or experienced it for a while.

What would be your advices in this point? How can we collaborate? I don´t even know if we actually have the same vision… I am not even sure if I should talk a lot (as I always do) or just sit down and listen.

Anybody has come into a situation like this before?

Thank you all

TAM

Also, I started having like a aliance with other spaces in mexico. So if you work from NODO you can go to some other places to work also. But this is not really like making community but like building a service with a plus. I am interested in starting collaborating between coworkers from here with coworkers from any other part of the world. This is also a collaboration between spaces. I am sure that somebody has come up with this before but what we were thinking about is, we are having this event with programers and internet and web and all that. It is a coworking fun day and end up with short internet talks and after that a networking event. I would like to invite somebody of a coworking space anywere in the world that wants to talk about any subject related to web/collaboration/technology for us on that day. Have you ever done something like this before? I know that the community in Merida wants to listen to what is going on in Australia, United States, Japan… what is their point of view on different subjects? We are willing to start this local and external colaboration but I don´t know how to approach (specially the local ones)…

Any guidance here?

Thanks in advance TAM TAM

Hi guys,

I live in Martinique (French West Indies) in the caribbean. I arrived here 3 years ago (from Paris) and people didn’t know anything about “coworking”…today, everything has changed.

My needs when I arrived was to meet people, not being alone like an hermit because it was detrimental to my momentum (build my startup).

I realized that many local people needed this also so I’ve launched the Jelly…to build the community, start the ecosystem.

The www.martiniqueworkatjelly.com is a monthly coworking session in my house, I invite (free wifi, coffee, etc.) every single enterprising/entrepreneur people to come to work, to discuss, to exchange and to challenge their projects, idea, startups, companies. After 2 years, the community is impressive (15~20 attendees each month, 300+ subscribers for the monthly email invitations, 40% retention rate).

88% of the martinicans entreprises are sole entrepreneur businesses so they quickly understood the aim of coworking…as soon as they came to see what it was.

I mean you can talk a lot about it (and hope it will sound to their brain)…but you could invite them to see what you do or go to show them by organizing meetups. This way they will live “the thing” from inside.

I think you’ll be inspired by reading the posts written by Alex : http://dangerouslyawesome.com/

Let’s share about our experiences :slight_smile:

ps : have a look to copass.org

Steve

···

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:52:09 AM UTC-4, NODO Cowork wrote:

Hello,

We opened the first coworking space in Merida Yucatán. 3 months later another one came up and a few week later another came up (merida is a small city). The coworking movement in here is absolutly new. They have never heard of “coworking” or “networking” so we are kind of evangelizing in the desert. It is difficult, is a challenge but I love it. I think that the city has a “momentum” of coworking and enterpreneur movement. So I thought to unite with other other two spaces and communicate about COWORKING and importantce in the community. I am afraid that they don´t know what a coworking space is. I know they have never worked on one before, and it is difficult to understand coworking if you have never tried it or experienced it for a while.

What would be your advices in this point? How can we collaborate? I don´t even know if we actually have the same vision… I am not even sure if I should talk a lot (as I always do) or just sit down and listen.

Thank you all

TAM

Yeah, I read a lot de posts of Alex actually he has a podcast now, did you hear about that? Thank you for sharing your advices =)

···

El domingo, 16 de noviembre de 2014 08:10:13 UTC-6, Steve Bercy escribió:

Hi guys,

I live in Martinique (French West Indies) in the caribbean. I arrived here 3 years ago (from Paris) and people didn’t know anything about “coworking”…today, everything has changed.

My needs when I arrived was to meet people, not being alone like an hermit because it was detrimental to my momentum (build my startup).

I realized that many local people needed this also so I’ve launched the Jelly…to build the community, start the ecosystem.

The www.martiniqueworkatjelly.com is a monthly coworking session in my house, I invite (free wifi, coffee, etc.) every single enterprising/entrepreneur people to come to work, to discuss, to exchange and to challenge their projects, idea, startups, companies. After 2 years, the community is impressive (15~20 attendees each month, 300+ subscribers for the monthly email invitations, 40% retention rate).

88% of the martinicans entreprises are sole entrepreneur businesses so they quickly understood the aim of coworking…as soon as they came to see what it was.

I mean you can talk a lot about it (and hope it will sound to their brain)…but you could invite them to see what you do or go to show them by organizing meetups. This way they will live “the thing” from inside.

I think you’ll be inspired by reading the posts written by Alex : http://dangerouslyawesome.com/

Steve

Hello,

Thank you all

TAM

I didn’t know :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot

Best,

···

Steve

Le 16 nov. 2014 à 16:43, NODO Cowork [email protected] a écrit :

Yeah, I read a lot de posts of Alex actually he has a podcast now, did you hear about that? Thank you for sharing your advices =)

El domingo, 16 de noviembre de 2014 08:10:13 UTC-6, Steve Bercy escribió:

Hi guys,

Steve

Hello,

Thank you all

TAM

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/y2NZqbBK0Uo/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Well, hi there!

I think you are certainly in the right place.

For your local collaboration with the other coworking space, I would myself probably just go over there and say hi. I am casual like that. It is my experience that you can tell pretty quickly if it is going to click; and if it is not I have always just left the door open for them to contact me in future. Sometimes people start ou tone way and go a different direction later and I have certainly been pleasantly surprised by having folks that didn’t click at forst, become allies later.

If you woudl like to be the Wiki Associate for Yucatan, or the Partner for Mexico, it just so happens that we do not have one. :slight_smile: This would give you something to talk about and to build your community around, as well as the support of Open Coworking. Signup is here if you are interested.

For connections and development and so on, we do have a list on the WIki of coworking mentors and another one here you might want to check out. (And the rest of you might like to add yourselves if you feel inspired), I would start there.

And don’t hesitate to call on me if you need anything else, this email address or Jeannine @ Opencoworking.org

Cheers,

Jeannine

···

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:00:32 AM UTC+1, NODO Cowork wrote:

Also, I started having like a aliance with other spaces in mexico. So if you work from NODO you can go to some other places to work also. But this is not really like making community but like building a service with a plus. I am interested in starting collaborating between coworkers from here with coworkers from any other part of the world. This is also a collaboration between spaces. I am sure that somebody has come up with this before but what we were thinking about is, we are having this event with programers and internet and web and all that. It is a coworking fun day and end up with short internet talks and after that a networking event. I would like to invite somebody of a coworking space anywere in the world that wants to talk about any subject related to web/collaboration/technology for us on that day. Have you ever done something like this before? I know that the community in Merida wants to listen to what is going on in Australia, United States, Japan… what is their point of view on different subjects? We are willing to start this local and external colaboration but I don´t know how to approach (specially the local ones)…

Any guidance here?

Thank you Jeannine, I am totally interested in this. I already field up my form. Actually I have written a few times to ask for acces but never received response. Hope to participate =)

Tamara

···

El martes, 18 de noviembre de 2014 03:04:43 UTC-6, Jeannine escribió:

Well, hi there!

For your local collaboration with the other coworking space, I would myself probably just go over there and say hi. I am casual like that. It is my experience that you can tell pretty quickly if it is going to click; and if it is not I have always just left the door open for them to contact me in future. Sometimes people start ou tone way and go a different direction later and I have certainly been pleasantly surprised by having folks that didn’t click at forst, become allies later.

If you woudl like to be the Wiki Associate for Yucatan, or the Partner for Mexico, it just so happens that we do not have one. :slight_smile: This would give you something to talk about and to build your community around, as well as the support of Open Coworking. Signup is here if you are interested.

For connections and development and so on, we do have a list on the WIki of coworking mentors and another one here you might want to check out. (And the rest of you might like to add yourselves if you feel inspired), I would start there.

And don’t hesitate to call on me if you need anything else, this email address or Jeannine @ Opencoworking.org

Cheers,

Jeannine

Any guidance here?

Hi, Tamara,

Got your signup and my thanks to you, look for an email from me making an offer you cannot refuse about volunteering. :slight_smile:

I am showing you as admitted to the Wiki; if you never got an email from PB Works with your password (possibly it landed in the spambox, that does happen) then you should go to the Wiki, put in your email address, and hit the “forgot password” button. PB WOrks will send you a new one and you can log in with it.

Cheers, and looking forward to working with you!

Jeannine

···

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:19:49 AM UTC+1, NODO Cowork wrote:

Thank you Jeannine, I am totally interested in this. I already field up my form. Actually I have written a few times to ask for acces but never received response. Hope to participate =)

Tamara

Well, hi there!

Cheers,

Jeannine

Any guidance here?

Great Jeanin, waiting for your email =) I am already inside the wikki… [email protected]

=)

···

El miércoles, 19 de noviembre de 2014 02:38:58 UTC-6, Jeannine escribió:

Hi, Tamara,

Got your signup and my thanks to you, look for an email from me making an offer you cannot refuse about volunteering. :slight_smile:

I am showing you as admitted to the Wiki; if you never got an email from PB Works with your password (possibly it landed in the spambox, that does happen) then you should go to the Wiki, put in your email address, and hit the “forgot password” button. PB WOrks will send you a new one and you can log in with it.

Cheers, and looking forward to working with you!

Jeannine

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:19:49 AM UTC+1, NODO Cowork wrote:

Tamara

Well, hi there!

Cheers,

Jeannine

Any guidance here?