Hosting a Hackathon

Hi - I’m looking for ideas on how to host a hackathon at our new coworking space. I’d like to solve a community issue, perhaps at the County level or in partnership with a local university.

Does anyone have tips for running a hackathon and who to partner with so the end-result actually offers a community benefit? What are some of the topics/challenges you’ve posed to the participants? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Lauren!

I’ll connect you off-list with Jonathan from Major League Hacking–he’s one of the most passionate people I know about running impactful hackathons.

Also: Have you looked into Startup Weekend? Are there organizers in your city already?

If there aren’t, you can apply to be an organizer there. If there are, you may be able to collaborate with them. In Boulder, we have themed hackathons which may work for you.

Aside from all of that, you can always DIY. A hackathon can be a pretty hefty undertaking, but it can also make a huge splash.

You can also do a pretty stripped-down lightweight version of one, too… you just need to bring together a critical mass of folks who’d be game to help spread the word and make it happen.

As for who to partner with on the benefit end… I think that’s the fun part! What groups do you already know of that might benefit from the aid of some bright minds for a weekend?

Tony

···

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Lauren McDaniel [email protected] wrote:

Hi - I’m looking for ideas on how to host a hackathon at our new coworking space. I’d like to solve a community issue, perhaps at the County level or in partnership with a local university.

Does anyone have tips for running a hackathon and who to partner with so the end-result actually offers a community benefit? What are some of the topics/challenges you’ve posed to the participants? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I would try to find out if there's a Code for America brigade in your
area. You could also search on "civic tech" or "civic hacking" with
some geographic locator info to find other related groups.

HTH, and good luck!

···

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Lauren McDaniel <[email protected]> wrote:

Does anyone have tips for ... who to partner with so the
end-result actually offers a community benefit?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan
Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote