Hey Mr (and Ms) DJ!

I wanted to put this question out to the brain trust.

Anybody inspired to share your kickest-butt coworking playlists? There have been threads about what music services people use (Spotify, Rdio, etc.), but I haven’t seen anything about exactly what we’re listening to.

I know that work music taste is very personal, and sound levels need to be low so as not to overwhelm. There are tons of pumped up workout playlists online, but I haven’t seen as much for “brain work” workouts. This seems like the perfect curatorial job to crowdsource! What the best site for playlist sharing these days? And what’s your favorite playlist, either for headphone use or room-wide?

This is for a new micro coworking experiment in Brookline, MA that we’re calling WorkShop. I’m working on this alongside Lisa Wasserman Sivan, an architectural and interior designer (and long-time coworking enthusiast) who has created a fantastic space within an amazing historic building here. Lisa is connected to tons of independent professionals in town who have been waiting for a place to work within walking distance of home. We’ll see where the wind takes us!

Melissa T.G.

···

__

Melissa Tapper Goldman

[email protected]

Looooooove this thread.

Spotify - love it or hate it - is probably the best for playlist sharing.

First, before I dive into sharing our music…**source your playlists from actual members. **Sharing music is a great way for members to connect and contribute based on something that makes them, them. Don’t throw away that opportunity for the sake of playing what another coworking space is playing.

The music varies quite a bit from day to day at Indy Hall. Sometimes we’ll base the day on an artist or song that’s inspired by a conversation that day. Other times we’ll do something thematic. Wednesdays have been Hip Hop Humpday for quite a while, and we periodically do “Funk Fridays” too. Making music an “event” can even help people plan their attendance. And of course, if they don’t love what’s playing, they can always put their headphones on and listen to their own music instead.

We also mix in days of jazz, classical, and other non-lyrical ambient music too. Classical and jazz can be great for productivity. Spotify has lots of playlists organized by genre and mood but a lot of the more “chilled out” playlists get complaints of being “too sleepy” so that’s a thing to consider too. Techno probably gets the most complaints from people in our chat room…though interestingly not as a genre, but for individual tracks being irritating or distracting.

Spotify also has a “weekly recommended” auto-generated playlist that figures out what you listen to and every week, creates a new playlist of music you HAVEN’T heard. It’s remarkably good, and is a very cool way of keeping things fresh.

The biggest problem with playlists is that if they’re played often, it’s easy to get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and over. So a mix of playlists and radio stations is the winning option for us.

We do have an eclectic collection of public playlists visible on our Spotify profile page, though we’ve retired many of these they do resurface from time to time :slight_smile: Frankly, I’m sick of some of these playlists but if they’re new for you…enjoy!

···

-Alex

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 4:51 PM, M Goldman [email protected] wrote:

Anybody inspired to share your kickest-butt coworking playlists? There have been threads about what music services people use (Spotify, Rdio, etc.), but I haven’t seen anything about exactly what we’re listening to.

I know that work music taste is very personal, and sound levels need to be low so as not to overwhelm. There are tons of pumped up workout playlists online, but I haven’t seen as much for “brain work” workouts. This seems like the perfect curatorial job to crowdsource! What the best site for playlist sharing these days? And what’s your favorite playlist, either for headphone use or room-wide?

This is for a new micro coworking experiment in Brookline, MA that we’re calling WorkShop. I’m working on this alongside Lisa Wasserman Sivan, an architectural and interior designer (and long-time coworking enthusiast) who has created a fantastic space within an amazing historic building here. Lisa is connected to tons of independent professionals in town who have been waiting for a place to work within walking distance of home. We’ll see where the wind takes us!

Melissa T.G.

__

Melissa Tapper Goldman

[email protected]

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

This is awesome, Alex! Thank you for that. I really like the idea of sharing playlists, not just within a space but across spaces.

It’s interesting because on the one hand, it’s a pretty personal choice. For me, the understanding of what music helps (or hurts) my ability to work has been hard-won. And it depends very much on what tasks I’m doing. I spend a fair amount of time writing, and anything with English lyrics ruins my ability to write efficiently. Certain kinds of beat-heavy stuff also seems to interfere on that same “channel” in my brain.

But music is so powerful for creating a culture and environment, so I really don’t want to force everybody into their headphones. (Side note, I recommend David Byrne’s book How Music Works for some fascinating commentary on the effects of recorded music and the different ways that people encounter it, be it a gramophone or headphones or a concert. I love this sort of thing.)

I could imagine real culture clashes about what music people want to listen to—or even can tolerate! Currently we don’t have any members in our tiny community who have wanted to share their playlists, but I will keep asking.

I’d love to hear how other spaces are maneuvering through this question.

All best,

Melissa

···

_

Melissa Tapper Goldman

alliedfields.com

workshopbrookline.com

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 1:34:06 PM UTC-5, Alex Hillman wrote:

Looooooove this thread.

Spotify - love it or hate it - is probably the best for playlist sharing.

First, before I dive into sharing our music…**source your playlists from actual members. **Sharing music is a great way for members to connect and contribute based on something that makes them, them. Don’t throw away that opportunity for the sake of playing what another coworking space is playing.

The music varies quite a bit from day to day at Indy Hall. Sometimes we’ll base the day on an artist or song that’s inspired by a conversation that day. Other times we’ll do something thematic. Wednesdays have been Hip Hop Humpday for quite a while, and we periodically do “Funk Fridays” too. Making music an “event” can even help people plan their attendance. And of course, if they don’t love what’s playing, they can always put their headphones on and listen to their own music instead.

We also mix in days of jazz, classical, and other non-lyrical ambient music too. Classical and jazz can be great for productivity. Spotify has lots of playlists organized by genre and mood but a lot of the more “chilled out” playlists get complaints of being “too sleepy” so that’s a thing to consider too. Techno probably gets the most complaints from people in our chat room…though interestingly not as a genre, but for individual tracks being irritating or distracting.

Spotify also has a “weekly recommended” auto-generated playlist that figures out what you listen to and every week, creates a new playlist of music you HAVEN’T heard. It’s remarkably good, and is a very cool way of keeping things fresh.

The biggest problem with playlists is that if they’re played often, it’s easy to get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and over. So a mix of playlists and radio stations is the winning option for us.

We do have an eclectic collection of public playlists visible on our Spotify profile page, though we’ve retired many of these they do resurface from time to time :slight_smile: Frankly, I’m sick of some of these playlists but if they’re new for you…enjoy!

-Alex

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com

Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 4:51 PM, M Goldman [email protected] wrote:

Melissa T.G.

__

Melissa Tapper Goldman

[email protected]

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.