Hello!

Excited to put my ideas into action and pioneer the first ever Co-working space in Alexandria, LA. We are perfectly located and there is nothing here like this today which I think is a big advantage. The challenge in this area is finding my market when I have been working from home for so long! I’ve met with the Economic Development Center, Chamber of Commerce, and Small Business Development Center and I’ve received GREAT feedback. I turned to social media exposing my vision and am fearful the local business folks I’ve shared my idea with jump to it before I can get it off the ground. Any recommendations? As soon as I start talking about it, they seem clueless, follow up conversations become something more like, “I was also thinking of this”

I don’t want to rush the process! How can I grow my interest, and identify my market without losing valuable time. Great spaces, but the rent is ridiculous!

Anxiously, terrified!

Katrina :slight_smile:

Hello Katrina,

Put your initial efforts on building the initial community as you prepare for the launch. All decisions, including those about what type of space you will need, can be better made as a result of this type of “experiment.” How to do that? Start organizing Coworking Jellies and such. Start a meetup group.

As you build that initial core community (20, 30, 40 folks), then you will have your differentiator and a competitive advantage to start your space.

Good luck,

Ky Ekinci

Office Divvy

on twitter: @OfficeDivvy

···

Katrina

Dont pay huge rent. It will take time to get going and you dont want to strangle your cash flow.

Building owners want coworking spaces to keep their buildings full of Energy and young tenants. So most will work a deal. We only work with building owners who will do what’s call a percentage lease. We pay them when we get paid. Also known as a revenue split.

Happy to hop on a call and share what we have learned.

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)
Https://Growthli.com

© Growthli | A Place To Learn, Grow, & Office™

···

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 7:15 AM Katrina Dye [email protected] wrote:

Excited to put my ideas into action and pioneer the first ever Co-working space in Alexandria, LA. We are perfectly located and there is nothing here like this today which I think is a big advantage. The challenge in this area is finding my market when I have been working from home for so long! I’ve met with the Economic Development Center, Chamber of Commerce, and Small Business Development Center and I’ve received GREAT feedback. I turned to social media exposing my vision and am fearful the local business folks I’ve shared my idea with jump to it before I can get it off the ground. Any recommendations? As soon as I start talking about it, they seem clueless, follow up conversations become something more like, “I was also thinking of this”

I don’t want to rush the process! How can I grow my interest, and identify my market without losing valuable time. Great spaces, but the rent is ridiculous!

Anxiously, terrified!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thanks so much, I’ve linked up with a local business owner and visionary who is well connected. He loves the idea and had offered to host a meet up in his business lounge for this purpose.

I’m competing ONLY with 1 coffee shop and the kitchen table, I just have to reach the masses.

I appreciate the guidance,

Katrina

···

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 7:53 AM Ky Ekinci (Office Divvy ™) [email protected] wrote:

Hello Katrina,

Put your initial efforts on building the initial community as you prepare for the launch. All decisions, including those about what type of space you will need, can be better made as a result of this type of “experiment.” How to do that? Start organizing Coworking Jellies and such. Start a meetup group.

As you build that initial core community (20, 30, 40 folks), then you will have your differentiator and a competitive advantage to start your space.

Good luck,

Ky Ekinci

Office Divvy

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/wKf1wQRqAMA/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Very helpful Josh. Rent is OUTRAGEOUS in Alexandria, LA. About 8K/month. The buildings are either near condemned or almost there but not the right vibe. Very few options in my downtown area which is where this needs to be in my opinion and based on feedback.

5 year lease is too long at this point but everyone I talk to has been thinking on it but it hasnt been done yet.

Cautiously optimistic,

Katrina

···

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 12:09 PM Joshua Webb [email protected] wrote:

Katrina

Dont pay huge rent. It will take time to get going and you dont want to strangle your cash flow.

Building owners want coworking spaces to keep their buildings full of Energy and young tenants. So most will work a deal. We only work with building owners who will do what’s call a percentage lease. We pay them when we get paid. Also known as a revenue split.

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)

Anxiously, terrified!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/wKf1wQRqAMA/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Katrina,

Keep browsing this group as there are many creative ideas around building community and opening a space. A couple of things that have helped us get off the ground.

1. Obtain grant funding from an entity looking to support the “Creator Economy” so that you may make the case for economic development while supporting entrepreneurs and startups. Your local EDA and Chamber should be able to facilitate introductions.
  2. Find available space that a local business is not utilizing or underutilizing to get your feet under you and showcase a proof of concept for 12 months. Research has shown that most coworking spaces take 2 years to cash flow. Seek something that is rent free so that you can focus on building the community and introducing a space that meets your communities needs.
    We secured a grant and an underutilized space for 1 year to demonstrate the proof of concept while building buzz and attracting members.

Richard

PS. Run towards your Fears!

···

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Joshua Webb [email protected] wrote:

Katrina

Joshua Webb

Founder at Growthli

844-455-GROW (4769)

Anxiously, terrified!

Richard Stuart
Ten Below Coworking
p:
(218) 464-9724
w:
10belowcoworking.org e: [email protected]

Katrina,

This is also an interesting approach for you to consider. https://www.spacious.com/

···

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Katrina Dye [email protected] wrote:

Thanks so much, I’ve linked up with a local business owner and visionary who is well connected. He loves the idea and had offered to host a meet up in his business lounge for this purpose.

I’m competing ONLY with 1 coffee shop and the kitchen table, I just have to reach the masses.

I appreciate the guidance,

Katrina

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 7:53 AM Ky Ekinci (Office Divvy ™) [email protected] wrote:

Hello Katrina,

Good luck,

Ky Ekinci

Office Divvy

Richard Stuart
Ten Below Coworking
p:
(218) 464-9724
w:
10belowcoworking.org e: [email protected]

I opened the first co-working space in the Tampa suburbs, and ran into the same challenge. You have to teach the communities about coworking before you can start talking to them about the value it’ll add to their life!!! I joined a Business Network International group (BNI). It was a way I could multiply my voice by 45 people. Look online for a chapter in your area. If you don’t find one, let me know and I’ll get you to the right people to help you.

Paula Blair

SOAR Co-Working

Tampa, FL

···

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 8:15:46 AM UTC-4, Katrina Dye wrote:

Anxiously, terrified!

Thank you Paula!!

···

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018, 10:14 AM [email protected] wrote:

I opened the first co-working space in the Tampa suburbs, and ran into the same challenge. You have to teach the communities about coworking before you can start talking to them about the value it’ll add to their life!!! I joined a Business Network International group (BNI). It was a way I could multiply my voice by 45 people. Look online for a chapter in your area. If you don’t find one, let me know and I’ll get you to the right people to help you.

Paula Blair

SOAR Co-Working

Tampa, FL

Anxiously, terrified!

BNIs are a great option, and I’m joining the one in my area here in Aylmer, Quebec.

Best,

Trevor

···

On 13 September 2018 at 12:49, Katrina Dye [email protected] wrote:

Thank you Paula!!

Paula Blair

SOAR Co-Working

Tampa, FL

Anxiously, terrified!

Trevor Townsend

Aylmer, Quebec
CANADA

I opened the first co-working space in Denison, Texas, January 18, of this year. Very few people had even heard of the concept before. We are about hour north of Dallas, Texas, so I was a little surprised by how few people were familiar with co-working.

I started with prayer, lots and lots of prayer! Then I kept talking and explaining to anyone who would listen. Come up with a good way to explain what a co-working space is…”A co-working space is the antidote to having to work from a noisy café/coffee shop.” I also signed up with the Small Business Development Center of Texas at our local community college. I was matched with a local business woman who helped me with my business plan, thinking out loud process, research on what office rent was going for in my area and so many other things. It was helpful having someone to be accountable to.

I found out that I spent too much money on my website. If I had kept asking around I would have made a better decision. Lesson Learned.

I am on Main Street so I participate in all the Main Street Activities wither or not they have a direct impact on my business. Mostly they do not because I am not retail, but it is great exposure. Just last week I had a member join who had come by during a festival in March that I was helping with and had a quick tour.

Two local chambers of commerce host a weekly pop up. The members meet at 8am at a local hotel with coffee and pastry, you put $1 & your business card in the bowl and when your card is drawn you get 30 sec to stand up and talk about your business. If your chamber doesn’t have something like that it would be a good program to host at your co-working space.

Wendy

···

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:18 PM
To: Coworking
Subject: Re: [Coworking] Re: Hello!

BNIs are a great option, and I’m joining the one in my area here in Aylmer, Quebec.

Best,

Trevor

Thank you Paula!!

Paula Blair

SOAR Co-Working

Tampa, FL

Anxiously, terrified!

Trevor Townsend

Aylmer, Quebec

CANADA

Thank you !!! This is great information. I’ve partnered with my local chamber and small business development center for the same help. I’m finalizing my business plan but I’m stuck on private offices and open space ratio. This is pretty cutting edge for our area so I have a ton of interest but commitment is what pays the bills.

Thanks so much for the feedback,

Katrina

···

On Sep 13, 2018 5:16 PM, “Wendy” [email protected] wrote:

I opened the first co-working space in Denison, Texas, January 18, of this year. Very few people had even heard of the concept before. We are about hour north of Dallas, Texas, so I was a little surprised by how few people were familiar with co-working.

I started with prayer, lots and lots of prayer! Then I kept talking and explaining to anyone who would listen. Come up with a good way to explain what a co-working space is…”A co-working space is the antidote to having to work from a noisy café/coffee shop.” I also signed up with the Small Business Development Center of Texas at our local community college. I was matched with a local business woman who helped me with my business plan, thinking out loud process, research on what office rent was going for in my area and so many other things. It was helpful having someone to be accountable to.

I found out that I spent too much money on my website. If I had kept asking around I would have made a better decision. Lesson Learned.

I am on Main Street so I participate in all the Main Street Activities wither or not they have a direct impact on my business. Mostly they do not because I am not retail, but it is great exposure. Just last week I had a member join who had come by during a festival in March that I was helping with and had a quick tour.

Two local chambers of commerce host a weekly pop up. The members meet at 8am at a local hotel with coffee and pastry, you put $1 & your business card in the bowl and when your card is drawn you get 30 sec to stand up and talk about your business. If your chamber doesn’t have something like that it would be a good program to host at your co-working space.

Wendy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:18 PM
To: Coworking
Subject: Re: [Coworking] Re: Hello!

Best,

Trevor

Thank you Paula!!

Paula Blair

SOAR Co-Working

Tampa, FL

Anxiously, terrified!

Trevor Townsend

Aylmer, Quebec

CANADA