Hello from Wisconsin! (Also maybe please help?)

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lingering around this group for years but never was terribly involved in the discourse, which is just foolishness. My name’s Matthew Straub, and I’m the Community Manager at The Avenue HQ coworking space in downtown Appleton, WI. We opened this space about 3 weeks ago as part of a partnership between the non-profit I work for (IDEAco), and a local marketing agency that had about 2,000 square feet of empty office space.

Because we were quite suddenly given the opportunity to get this space off the ground with minimal financial risk for both parties, I felt compelled to just go for it and open a near-empty coworking community. Yes, I know this is backwards. In addition to having low membership, though, we also are struggling to make the greater community aware of our existence and are still trying to tap into the hidden niches of freelancers and independent workers that make for the best coworkers. It doesn’t help that coworking is not a common concept in Wisconsin.

I would absolutely love any tips from anyone on the types of events, marketing, and community outreach we could do to get people excited about what coworking is and can offer to members. So far, we’ve had the most success with targeting individual groups (like the local WordPress meetup group) and having them host events here, as well as having a Free Coworking Week which brought about 75 people in to try the space out over a week, but unfortunately didn’t translate into a lot of memberships. I’m also talking to everyone who comes through or is interested about what we can do to make the space more suitable for their needs.

Thanks!

Matthew,

How are you? Hope this finds you well.

I’ve actually been chewing on your situation since I first read it a few days ago.

Just because things have worked in the reverse of how it is suggested, I’m not certain there are hard and fast rules in this space, just things that work better than others. Given the opportunity you were given I may very well have jumped at the chance too. We’re building our community and as it grows I’m trying to figure out where we are going to plant these spaces and how that will work out. So I wouldn’t beat myself up too much if I were you.

Here are a few thoughts I came up with over the last few days, and many of them have already probably crossed your mind. But really its doing the same steps that you would to build any community. What I consider an advantage in your situation is that you have a space. In our situation, we are building the community and what the final space will look like is not readily apparent just yet. I think this could be an advantage to you in that your potential members will be able to see what they are getting, you’ll be able to offer free coworking days and stuf like that. Leverage the space to your advantage.

**1. Build a Facebook Page for your business. **

I saw you did that, just liked your page from Colorado! If I were you I would spend $100 on building an ad for facebook and promote the page. Get some likes and then use that as a point to start networking from. That will give you a pool to potentially pull from to start generating a buzz and potentially interest in joining your space.

2. Set up a Meetup group and join other meet up groups in the area

Set up your own to get the word out about your space to a different audience. While facebook is a powerful took to reach people, meetup has given us a separate avenue an a slightly quicker connection than facebook because on meet up the people will commit to meeting with you as you schedule things so its far easier to get connected face to face. Then host an event at your space. Give a short presentation on coworking and then let the people who have come mingle and meet one another. At the end of the day it is them you will want to have connect well, and then you give them a place to connect.

Also, if you join meet up groups you can network with other members of your community. Join Startup meetups, entrepreneur meetups, tech meetups, web development meetups. Any kind of meet up that may hold people who would potentially look to use your facility. Freelancers, entrepreneurs, techies, hackers, etc.

**3. Connect with other co-working spaces in your area. **

This is powerful because according to the deskmag study, spaces started in isolation tend to have a harder go of it. I think this is because sometimes the word about coworking has not reach the four corners of the earth, so in addition to building a community, you are also educating a community as well, and if you’ve ever seen Shark Tank, educating your customer base can be a challenge as well, but well worth it.

4. Set up a bi monthly series of classes

Connect with professionals in your area, investment bankers, venture capitalists, leadership coaches, marketing professionals, any one who would consult with a start up, growing or established business. Ask them to give a presentation in your space and then see if they can leverage their name and network to get people in the door.

I have a ton more thoughts but gotta get onto some other things. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like and we can discuss this more, but thought I would toss what I could at the wall and see if I could help you out. Most importantly, get creative and stick with it, you’ll figure it out.

I have a good friend who lives in Madison (yes 2 hours south of you it appears) But I would love to stop in and see your space next time I am in WI.

Thanks

RC

coworkingcolorado[at]gmail[dot]com

Hey RC,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful and encouraging response! It means a lot. I have tried a few of those things, and I’m particularly focused on meetup groups and finding and connecting to people on a one-to-one basis.

In regard to #3, I’m workin’ on that! There’s only one other coworking space in the area, and that’s about 40 minutes away. I’ve been trying to meet with the co-founders for quite some time actually.

I’m also trying to put on some kind of professional development classes or workshops here, and I’ve been connecting to various organizations and institutions and getting some support for such a thing. It’s a little bit difficult in summer when schools and colleges aren’t in session and all the faculty are gearing up for the start of the year, but I do agree that it’s a really great idea and it makes people see the space as a place of value.

If you’re ever in the area, please stop by! I lived in Madison for 7 years (went to school at UW), so I absolutely love that city. It’s exciting that coworking has suddenly (finally) started to take off there in the last year or two.

Thanks,
Matthew

···

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:50:53 PM UTC-5, Coworking Colorado wrote:

Matthew,

I’ve actually been chewing on your situation since I first read it a few days ago.

Just because things have worked in the reverse of how it is suggested, I’m not certain there are hard and fast rules in this space, just things that work better than others. Given the opportunity you were given I may very well have jumped at the chance too. We’re building our community and as it grows I’m trying to figure out where we are going to plant these spaces and how that will work out. So I wouldn’t beat myself up too much if I were you.

Here are a few thoughts I came up with over the last few days, and many of them have already probably crossed your mind. But really its doing the same steps that you would to build any community. What I consider an advantage in your situation is that you have a space. In our situation, we are building the community and what the final space will look like is not readily apparent just yet. I think this could be an advantage to you in that your potential members will be able to see what they are getting, you’ll be able to offer free coworking days and stuf like that. Leverage the space to your advantage.

I saw you did that, just liked your page from Colorado! If I were you I would spend $100 on building an ad for facebook and promote the page. Get some likes and then use that as a point to start networking from. That will give you a pool to potentially pull from to start generating a buzz and potentially interest in joining your space.

Set up your own to get the word out about your space to a different audience. While facebook is a powerful took to reach people, meetup has given us a separate avenue an a slightly quicker connection than facebook because on meet up the people will commit to meeting with you as you schedule things so its far easier to get connected face to face. Then host an event at your space. Give a short presentation on coworking and then let the people who have come mingle and meet one another. At the end of the day it is them you will want to have connect well, and then you give them a place to connect.

Also, if you join meet up groups you can network with other members of your community. Join Startup meetups, entrepreneur meetups, tech meetups, web development meetups. Any kind of meet up that may hold people who would potentially look to use your facility. Freelancers, entrepreneurs, techies, hackers, etc.

This is powerful because according to the deskmag study, spaces started in isolation tend to have a harder go of it. I think this is because sometimes the word about coworking has not reach the four corners of the earth, so in addition to building a community, you are also educating a community as well, and if you’ve ever seen Shark Tank, educating your customer base can be a challenge as well, but well worth it.

Connect with professionals in your area, investment bankers, venture capitalists, leadership coaches, marketing professionals, any one who would consult with a start up, growing or established business. Ask them to give a presentation in your space and then see if they can leverage their name and network to get people in the door.

I have a ton more thoughts but gotta get onto some other things. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like and we can discuss this more, but thought I would toss what I could at the wall and see if I could help you out. Most importantly, get creative and stick with it, you’ll figure it out.

I have a good friend who lives in Madison (yes 2 hours south of you it appears) But I would love to stop in and see your space next time I am in WI.

Thanks

RC

Matthew,

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Nicely done!

One thought I had in relation to #3. You may look into hackerspaces and makerspaces as well. While a different concept from coworking, they do have elements of coworking and collaboration to them and they may prove to be valuable partners as well. We are working on such partnerships in our area as well. Specifically because we don’t want to get into the hackerspace/makerspace market, but a partnership may be useful.

I will definitely try to stop by if I’m back in town. Its been a while since I was back in WI, so I need to get back there.

Keep up the strong work.

-Rob C

···

On Friday, August 16, 2013 9:24:49 AM UTC-6, Matthew Straub, Avenue HQ Community Manager wrote:

Hey RC,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful and encouraging response! It means a lot. I have tried a few of those things, and I’m particularly focused on meetup groups and finding and connecting to people on a one-to-one basis.

In regard to #3, I’m workin’ on that! There’s only one other coworking space in the area, and that’s about 40 minutes away. I’ve been trying to meet with the co-founders for quite some time actually.

I’m also trying to put on some kind of professional development classes or workshops here, and I’ve been connecting to various organizations and institutions and getting some support for such a thing. It’s a little bit difficult in summer when schools and colleges aren’t in session and all the faculty are gearing up for the start of the year, but I do agree that it’s a really great idea and it makes people see the space as a place of value.

If you’re ever in the area, please stop by! I lived in Madison for 7 years (went to school at UW), so I absolutely love that city. It’s exciting that coworking has suddenly (finally) started to take off there in the last year or two.

Thanks,
Matthew

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:50:53 PM UTC-5, Coworking Colorado wrote:

Matthew,

Thanks

RC

Actually, I helped get a Makerspace moved in right below us in the same office building! We're definitely working with them to mutual benefit, but we're still two separate entities.

Thanks again for the tips!

Hi Mathew,

Congratulations on your entry to shared economy. I would also consider reaching out to instructors that offer classes via Groupon, livingSocial and etc, that may need larger venues to host their evening or weekend classes.

A good place to start for instructor talent seeking to become entrepreneurial is local university, Meetups and Craigslist

Jaymes

···

On Aug 18, 2013 3:00 PM, “Matthew Straub, Avenue HQ Community Manager” [email protected] wrote:

Actually, I helped get a Makerspace moved in right below us in the same office building! We’re definitely working with them to mutual benefit, but we’re still two separate entities.

Thanks again for the tips!

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Matthew,

It’s hard right now because it’s the summer and you don’t have many members. You do have the benefit of being in close proximity to the marketing agency so I would help integrate them into the community space. You have the benefit of warm bodies at lease nearby so give them a reason and simply ask for them to also work in the coworking space and be part of the community. People join coworking space for people, not really amenities.

Don’t worry if the next month is a bit slow because people find a rhythm once summer is over. Integrate the people you have, keep building relationships, and be a great host and coworker.

Craig

Creative Density

Denver

I appreciate the support, Craig! We’re also trying to cozy up to the folks in the Makerspace and just have them work here from time to time (their space is downstairs from us). Great idea, though!

···

On Monday, August 19, 2013 4:11:28 PM UTC-5, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

Matthew,

It’s hard right now because it’s the summer and you don’t have many members. You do have the benefit of being in close proximity to the marketing agency so I would help integrate them into the community space. You have the benefit of warm bodies at lease nearby so give them a reason and simply ask for them to also work in the coworking space and be part of the community. People join coworking space for people, not really amenities.

Don’t worry if the next month is a bit slow because people find a rhythm once summer is over. Integrate the people you have, keep building relationships, and be a great host and coworker.

Craig

Creative Density

Denver