I was catching up on my reading and came across Proof That Positive Work Cultures Are More Productive on the Harvard Business Review site. The focus of the article is on how bosses and big companies can create more positive work cultures.
But I was struck by how much this article describes coworking facilities. Key quote on creating a positive culture.
Creating a positive and healthy culture for your team rests on a few major principles. Our own research (see here and here) on the qualities of a positive workplace culture boils down to six essential characteristics:
- Caring for, being interested in, and maintaining responsibility for colleagues as friends.
- Providing support for one another, including offering kindness and compassion when others are struggling.
- Avoiding blame and forgive mistakes.
- Inspiring one another at work.
- Emphasizing the meaningfulness of the work.
- Treating one another with respect, gratitude, trust, and integrity.
Another key quote is on what bosses can do to improve their culture - sounds a whole lot like what community managers do:
- Foster social connections.
- Show empathy.
- Go out of your way to help.
- Encourage people to talk to you – especially about their problems.