Growing our coworking space

Hey All,

I’ve been following this group thread and see that everyone is totally immersed in the coworking world and running successful, member-filled spaces.

As I’ve checked most of your sites, I’m wondering how you gained so many members in the short, yet successful time your space has been around?

I work for ThincSavannah, Savannah’s first coworking space, and we have a strong core of members, about 50-60, but are having a challenging time growing beyond that.

Any advice and insight is appreciated!

www.thincsavannah.com

(still working on updating the member page with some of our newest additions).

Thanks a bunch!

···

Elise Colcord
678-467-9328

LooseLeafDiaries

RunningHealth

LinkedIn

Easy! Working our asses off...

There is no magic bullet. You have to organize events for kind of clients you want and get the word out through social media, contacts, etc. At the begining it is fundamental to have people in the space every day, so invite some friends over and get to work. Good luck!

I’ve been following this group thread and see that everyone is totally immersed in the coworking world and running successful, member-filled spaces.

I wish this were true across the board. I work with spaces around the world every week that continue to struggle. One of the weaknesses of this community is that it IS so pro-coworking, and not much data is available about the real challenges and failures. Coaxing out real stories of failure is really hard, and often only happens behind closed doors.

I work for ThincSavannah, Savannah’s first coworking space, and we have a strong core of members, about 50-60, but are having a challenging time growing beyond that.

Can you describe this core membership more? Who are they, what makes them a “strong core” in your eyes?

-Alex

···

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Ramon Suarez [email protected] wrote:

Easy! Working our asses off…

There is no magic bullet. You have to organize events for kind of clients you want and get the word out through social media, contacts, etc. At the begining it is fundamental to have people in the space every day, so invite some friends over and get to work. Good luck!

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Morning Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I totally understand there’s no magic bullet except hard work. We’ve done some events potlucks every few months, Lunch ‘n’ Thinc’s-once a month-(where a speaker comes in a talks for a bit, lunch is catered and people mingle/network etc).

Also, we started a quarterly event series for 2014, Year of the Local, each event builds on each other with a different theme. Jan.10, the first event went well. We had our members and their friends along with a lot of outside community because of the large press spread we picked up. Next one is April.10.

Can you describe this core membership more? Who are they, what makes them a “strong core” in your eyes?

Our core membership is mainly comprised of those in our private offices, thincstations, and some consistent Thinc 40/80/unlimited floaters. They are entrepreneurs, creative professionals if I had to succinctly describe them. Great, positive energy with some strong ‘stay’ power. These members are passionate about what they do and also about others success in their fields.

They were all strangers in the beginning, and quite a few have formed some solid friendships outside of the office. Though some tend to keep a little more to themselves.

Basically, Savannah is a small town. Everyone in our space is somehow intertwined through business or mutual friends.

Sorry if that was super long-winded! Appreciate the quick response!

Thanks,

-Elise

···

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Alex Hillman [email protected] wrote:

I wish this were true across the board. I work with spaces around the world every week that continue to struggle. One of the weaknesses of this community is that it IS so pro-coworking, and not much data is available about the real challenges and failures. Coaxing out real stories of failure is really hard, and often only happens behind closed doors.

-Alex

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Elise Colcord
678-467-9328

LooseLeafDiaries

RunningHealth

LinkedIn

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Ramon Suarez [email protected] wrote:

Easy! Working our asses off…

Elise, because we were in smaller areas, we needed to provide a broad range of space, time, services to appeal to a broader range of people. This may not be what you want to do, though. The unifying thread for us has been community: the town people have chosen to live in or identify with. That said, use Craigslist! We post 2 - 3 times/day. We’ve tried everything, and it certainly works best. (Oh, and have a good call to action on your interesting website.)

···

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:26:08 AM UTC-8, Elise Colcord wrote:

Hey All,

As I’ve checked most of your sites, I’m wondering how you gained so many members in the short, yet successful time your space has been around?

www.thincsavannah.com

Thanks a bunch!

Elise Colcord
678-467-9328

LooseLeafDiaries

RunningHealth

LinkedIn

Barbara,

That’s a great suggestion for the Craigslist. I hope it would attract mostly the, what we would call, ‘creatively normal’ haha But now that Thinc is more established I think we can post a more accurate ad.

Also, another good point with the call to action on our site. I will look into that as well!

Thanks for the suggestions!

···

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Barbara Sprenger [email protected] wrote:

Elise, because we were in smaller areas, we needed to provide a broad range of space, time, services to appeal to a broader range of people. This may not be what you want to do, though. The unifying thread for us has been community: the town people have chosen to live in or identify with. That said, use Craigslist! We post 2 - 3 times/day. We’ve tried everything, and it certainly works best. (Oh, and have a good call to action on your interesting website.)

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:26:08 AM UTC-8, Elise Colcord wrote:

Hey All,

www.thincsavannah.com

Thanks a bunch!

Elise Colcord
678-467-9328

LooseLeafDiaries

RunningHealth

LinkedIn

Elise Colcord
678-467-9328

LooseLeafDiaries

RunningHealth

LinkedIn