Feeling like a sponge (and absorbing all I can!) as we launch our space

Hey there! I’m part of a team that’s opening a 33,000 s.f. coworking/maker space/offices/corporate training space called Evolve Workplace, in West St Paul, MN. We’re in an older, newly-redeveloped first ring suburb, about 10 minutes south of downtown St Paul in the Twin Cities. I’m hoping to glean some pearls of wisdom from those who own, manage, operate and who are members of similar spaces. I really want to know what does and doesn’t work for each of you! Our website (according to initial feedback) 1. Needs more images of humans 2. Needs less verbiage and 3. Needs more personality. That being said, feel free to give us feedback and pointers–we’re going to try to jazz up its personality in the next few weeks.

The three of us who are founders (along with two of the guys wives) are serial entrepreneurs, and decided to hop on the coworking bandwagon that is just now gaining popularity in the Midwest. As for unique space features, we have three cabanas/tents, a few hammocks, postal packaging and gift wrapping stations, and a photo/video studio with lights and a Chromakey green screen. We also have an awesome game room with a putting green, ping pong, foosball, air hockey, English darts, puzzle and board game tables, and even scrapbooking/stamping/card making.

For now, we’re trying to open Phase I of the space, and to pull in as many people as possible. Any guerrilla marketing techniques are greatly appreciated!

Wow great coworking space.

In my experience, it was really difficult because I was not doing what you most others do, which means that I built the coworking space before trying to find clients instead of the opposite.

But the good thing is that you can do this as a society, so it’s a private property like mine rather than an association like most in my area and as soon as they open they have members.

I did FB marketing but I did not really have any impact (and even that they deleted my super page without reason or warning, I do not understand because nothing is against their regulation and of course no way to join them, hate!), I made an inauguration with people, I made a press release so my article was published and I had calls, visits, full of people tell me interested without ever registering. I was disappointed because it was 5 months without anything, not even a member and yet the location, the benefits and the rates were competitive compared to other coworking spaces in the area. There, you really start to doubt yourself and your project, you look for what’s wrong and how to improve it. But since I’m doing personal development and I know what a company is, I do not leave anything!

Then one day, I made a partnership with the local JCI and that’s how it all started.

I certainly believe that people need to know if you are credible or not, I do not know why. With JCI as a partner, they come to my home every week, and communicate on social networks that’s how I got my members after 5 months of opening and many visits that do not end a subscription. There was suddenly a registration of 2 people, then people visit and see that there are people, they also register … Wow I did not believe any more, while all said it was a great place, just compliments just because there were co-workers.

···

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:53:04 AM UTC-10, Lisa wrote:

Hey there! I’m part of a team that’s opening a 33,000 s.f. coworking/maker space/offices/corporate training space called Evolve Workplace, in West St Paul, MN. We’re in an older, newly-redeveloped first ring suburb, about 10 minutes south of downtown St Paul in the Twin Cities. I’m hoping to glean some pearls of wisdom from those who own, manage, operate and who are members of similar spaces. I really want to know what does and doesn’t work for each of you! Our website (according to initial feedback) 1. Needs more images of humans 2. Needs less verbiage and 3. Needs more personality. That being said, feel free to give us feedback and pointers–we’re going to try to jazz up its personality in the next few weeks.

The three of us who are founders (along with two of the guys wives) are serial entrepreneurs, and decided to hop on the coworking bandwagon that is just now gaining popularity in the Midwest. As for unique space features, we have three cabanas/tents, a few hammocks, postal packaging and gift wrapping stations, and a photo/video studio with lights and a Chromakey green screen. We also have an awesome game room with a putting green, ping pong, foosball, air hockey, English darts, puzzle and board game tables, and even scrapbooking/stamping/card making.

For now, we’re trying to open Phase I of the space, and to pull in as many people as possible. Any guerrilla marketing techniques are greatly appreciated!

Hey Lisa, welcome to the list. We love sponges here :slight_smile:

Reading through what you said here I’d provide one word of caution: “pulling in as many people as possible” isn’t nearly as effective at filling space as you might think.

Here’s why, and what you can do instead:

https://dangerouslyawesome.com/2012/07/tips-for-building-community-after-opening-a-coworking-space/

The other tempting mistake that I see a lot is that people think that all of the community building should happen in your cool new space. After all, once people see how awesome your space is, they’re going to want to sign up. Right? Well…not exactly.

The biggest thing you should be working on is meeting people where they are (that means getting outside of your space!) and learning what would bring those people together. What kinds of things are they already doing that would be more productive and fun together? Do that.

So get out of your space, and do stuff together! :slight_smile:

-Alex

···

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Lisa [email protected] wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.