Feedback for laptop security product idea

I recently pitched an idea for a coworking-related product at Startup Weekend Columbia, Missouri, and would love your feedback.

The Pitch (summary):

• “Vicinity” is an idea for a product with two components: an motion device and a mobile app.
  • The motion device (an iBeacon sticker, fyi) attaches to your laptop, and detects distance and movement.
  • If you move away from your laptop, the app arms itself.
  • The app will assure you that your laptop is right where you left it, and alert you immediately if your laptop is moved.
  • Vicinity provides the peace of mind to get up and move around, which is the whole reason you got out of the office in the first place.

My main concern is whether or not laptop security is even a real issue for people in the first place. If not, then there’s no need for me to build this thing.

Please post your thoughts, questions, and criticism. Don’t be afraid to be harsh, I can handle it :slight_smile:

David Frahm

@DavidFrahm

MidMo Apps

Honestly, if theft is a perceived problem in a coworking space - that space isn’t going to last. I could see this being a bigger issue for when you’re working outside of the office in coffee shops, etc… that’s where I usually hear of people getting their stuff jacked. Great idea - possibly the wrong target market. Totally salvageable.

···

Aaron Cruikshank
Principal, CRUIKSHANK

phone: 778.908.4560

e-mail: [email protected]

web: cruikshank.me

twitter: @cruikshank

book a meeting: doodle.com/cruikshank

linkedin: in/cruikshank

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM, David Frahm [email protected] wrote:

I recently pitched an idea for a coworking-related product at Startup Weekend Columbia, Missouri, and would love your feedback.

The Pitch (summary):

• “Vicinity” is an idea for a product with two components: an motion device and a mobile app.
  • The motion device (an iBeacon sticker, fyi) attaches to your laptop, and detects distance and movement.
  • The app will assure you that your laptop is right where you left it, and alert you immediately if your laptop is moved.
  • Vicinity provides the peace of mind to get up and move around, which is the whole reason you got out of the office in the first place.

My main concern is whether or not laptop security is even a real issue for people in the first place. If not, then there’s no need for me to build this thing.

Please post your thoughts, questions, and criticism. Don’t be afraid to be harsh, I can handle it :slight_smile:

David Frahm

@DavidFrahm

MidMo Apps

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

We’ve had a laptop stolen from our space. It took less than 15 seconds for the thief to come in and wander away with it.

An iBeacon that would have alerted the owner wouldn’t have been very effective in this case - and, as I understand it, the beacon has to be very close to the phone to broadcast its location, so once the laptop leaves the building it’s all over.

Anca.

···

-=-=-=-=-
Anca Mosoiu | Tech Liminal
[email protected]
M: (510) 220-6660
W: http://techliminal.com | T: @techliminal | F: facebook.com/techliminal

On Oct 20, 2014, at 11:10 AM, David Frahm [email protected] wrote:

The Pitch (summary):

David Frahm

@DavidFrahm

MidMo Apps

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I love this idea. If it worked well and was reasonably priced, I’d use it for when I work in cafes.

With regard to coworking spaces: While I agree with Aaron about coworking spaces, I think there are plenty of members who would want one nonetheless: we get asked about security on a regular basis among new members, and even though we have a stellar history in terms of theft (knock on wood), members still worry and I worry with them: laptops often have so much personal value than just one theft would be devastating.

But I think the only time any members worry is when they leave the space, not when they get up to go to the bathroom. If you had something that could work at a greater distance and maybe even use the built in camera feature to snap a photo, then you’d have something! :slight_smile:

Since the “coworking in a shopping mall” topic just came up, which would probably be more like working in a cafe, I think a tool like this could be great for solving some security concerns for certain spaces: those with more drop-ins/retail traffic; those with cafes open to the public; those with regular events that are open to the public. Again, I’d use it myself if I were a member at that kind of space.

···

On Monday, October 20, 2014 8:10:34 PM UTC+2, David Frahm wrote:

The Pitch (summary):

David Frahm

@DavidFrahm

MidMo Apps

In regards to the laptop being quickly stolen...

The laptop could have an audible alarm which would likely deter many thieves.

In fact, some feedback I've heard is that if the sensor sticker were visible --such as on the lid -- then it would likely cause thieves to just find an easier target.

Please keep the discussion going, this is getting good!