I love this idea. If it worked well and was reasonably priced, I’d use it for when I work in cafes.
With regard to coworking spaces: While I agree with Aaron about coworking spaces, I think there are plenty of members who would want one nonetheless: we get asked about security on a regular basis among new members, and even though we have a stellar history in terms of theft (knock on wood), members still worry and I worry with them: laptops often have so much personal value than just one theft would be devastating.
But I think the only time any members worry is when they leave the space, not when they get up to go to the bathroom. If you had something that could work at a greater distance and maybe even use the built in camera feature to snap a photo, then you’d have something!
Since the “coworking in a shopping mall” topic just came up, which would probably be more like working in a cafe, I think a tool like this could be great for solving some security concerns for certain spaces: those with more drop-ins/retail traffic; those with cafes open to the public; those with regular events that are open to the public. Again, I’d use it myself if I were a member at that kind of space.
On Monday, October 20, 2014 8:10:34 PM UTC+2, David Frahm wrote:
I recently pitched an idea for a coworking-related product at Startup Weekend Columbia, Missouri, and would love your feedback.
The Pitch (summary):
- “Vicinity” is an idea for a product with two components: an motion device and a mobile app.
- The motion device (an iBeacon sticker, fyi) attaches to your laptop, and detects distance and movement.
- If you move away from your laptop, the app arms itself.
- The app will assure you that your laptop is right where you left it, and alert you immediately if your laptop is moved.
- Vicinity provides the peace of mind to get up and move around, which is the whole reason you got out of the office in the first place.
My main concern is whether or not laptop security is even a real issue for people in the first place. If not, then there’s no need for me to build this thing.
Please post your thoughts, questions, and criticism. Don’t be afraid to be harsh, I can handle it