Experience with Stamps.com?

Hey all, I had a quick question (for my US counterparts) about sending mail from coworking spaces. Up until now, everyone has just kind of done their own thing. Our previous location was just a few blocks from a post office, so it made sense for people to just walk down and take care of any shipping they needed in an on-demand fashion. Since our move, though, we’re a bit further and yesterday one of my members brought the idea of investing in a postage scale for everyone. This got me to thinking about taking it a step further with some sort of on-demand postage printing service like Stamps.com

Personally, I don’t send much mail in my business so I don’t have much of a frame of reference for this sort of thing; Have any other spaces gone this route, with a centralized mailing service offered to members? Have you found it to be worth the added effort of keeping track of who spent what and charging them back for printed postage and materials?

Thanks so much!

Andy Soell

The Salt Mines

Our POS/reservation system handles these “products” to manage for billing, and so we do provide mailing services. The volume is light for simple first class postage (we use a Pitney Bowes machine) so we don’t charge the clients anything but the postage. We do forward some mail and packages for those who request and/or aren’t in the space frequently enough. For those incidents, we charge a nominal $5 handling charge plus postage/shipping fee.

So yes, we do this despite having a post office 1 block away, mostly as a courtesy.
JEROME CHANG

Mid-Wilshire
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea) | Los Angeles CA 90036
ph: (323) 330-9505

Downtown
529 S. Broadway, Suite 4000 (@Pershing Square) | Los Angeles CA 90013
ph: (213) 550-2235

···

On Jan 30, 2014, at 5:31 AM, Andy Soell [email protected] wrote:

Hey all, I had a quick question (for my US counterparts) about sending mail from coworking spaces. Up until now, everyone has just kind of done their own thing. Our previous location was just a few blocks from a post office, so it made sense for people to just walk down and take care of any shipping they needed in an on-demand fashion. Since our move, though, we’re a bit further and yesterday one of my members brought the idea of investing in a postage scale for everyone. This got me to thinking about taking it a step further with some sort of on-demand postage printing service like Stamps.com

Personally, I don’t send much mail in my business so I don’t have much of a frame of reference for this sort of thing; Have any other spaces gone this route, with a centralized mailing service offered to members? Have you found it to be worth the added effort of keeping track of who spent what and charging them back for printed postage and materials?

Thanks so much!

Andy Soell

The Salt Mines

http://saltmines.us

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.