Do you run a coworking space of roughly 700 m² = 7535 ft²

Dear fellow coworkers,

Do you have experience in running a coworking space in the size of around 700 m² = 7535 ft² ?

I am interested in real numbers and experience of running such a space with that size.

• How long do you run the space and what is your function?

• How many people can fit in a coworking space of roughly an area of 7535 ft²?

and can you divide numbers in following groups: Number of singe members: AND Number of teams:

• From your clients, what is the average team-size (e.g. a group of members, startup, space users) and how much space do they get in m² or ft² ?

• How big is the team to run and manage the space and what are their functions?

···
  • When did you hit the ROI?

It really means a lot to me to get an idea of a space of that size!

Thanks,

Uwe

Hi Uwe

I had a space of 6,000 sq ft initially - so hopefully relevant…

It was in London in 2013 - so the world will have moved on - but my instincts are that some lessons relevant:

Controversially, my experience suggested it wasn’t “the first coworking space in the area” so much as “one more serviced office” with a slightly different model…

Therefore our demand was based more on the gaps in local supply than some magic formula

It feels like markets take a long time for mature - meaning it takes a long time for the many people looking for an office to know, understand, want coworking instead

We were relatively cheap - so actually got a lot of people who wanted a posh serviced office but “accepted” coworking - some grew to love it, some didn’t

Here are the plans of that building - really funny looking back at them!

There was demand for 2+3 person offices - but the economics aren’t great - as you’ve still got to build a door

We also put our fixed desks in banks (far left) with storage between them - so they were in clusters - and got teams of “4” very happily having an “area” rather than an office with a door - although I think many of them would have rather had a door.

Hope that helps

Tom

Thats great, thanks for your inputs Tom! Super also having attached the blueprint and share your experience - really helpful, Thanks! A beer for you when we happen to meet!

···

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 10:36:35 AM UTC+2, Tom Ball wrote:

Hope that helps

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think this was very helpful and gives some perspective on what coworking was like back in 2013.

Just wondering when did you quit the coworking business and what made you do that (assuming you quit based on your answer).

···

Thanks!

Andrew Andreev I OfficeRnD
Customer Success Manager
www.officernd.com
www.officernd.com/blog

:heart_eyes: I remember that space :wink:

···

Have a remarkable day

Bernie J Mitchell
0777 204 2012

www.berniejmitchell.com

Sent from my mobile device

*Unless we agree otherwise, this email conversation is confidential.

For the first 5.5 years Collective Agency was in a 5,000 sf space in Portland Oregon; now we’re in two smaller spaces in different areas of town.

*- How long do you run the space and what is your function? *

7.5 years so far. I’m the ‘business owner’. When we started I was the ‘main community organizer’. 12 months in, I stepped away for 9 months and someone else owned the business and I was a paying member, then it transferred back.

- From your clients, what is the average team-size (e.g. a group of members, startup, space users) and how much space do they get in m² or ft² ?

We’ve always limited it to 20 members per company maximum. We had a big internet company that started with 1, then 3, then 16 memberships, then moved out while they were hiring to what would’ve been 26 people. Portland has a law that the maximum capacity per room is 49 people without a permit or special license, and a 2,500 sf main room was too big for that.

- How big is the team to run and manage the space and what are their functions?

For events, two people paid to setup and cleanup and greet is great. One person on-site for most of it is great. For coworking, if you have a really good community and culture, 1 person. We have many contractors, such as for cleaning, internet, etc. Many members are actively involved in various ways.

- When did you hit the ROI?

5 weeks after opening with our first space we made back all expenses including paying myself the monthly employee rate, and we were cash-flow positive before opening our second space. I’m looking to expand to up to 5 locations in Portland as the next phase; interested in loans at a 5% to 7% yearly interest rate - if you know people who are interested. https://collectiveagency.co/

Alex

···

Alex Linsker • Business Owner
Collective Agency • Coworking Spaces with Cozy Community
work 503-915-4769 • personal 503-369-9174
3050 SE Division Street, Suite 245 • Portland Oregon 97202
511 SW 10th Avenue, Suite 1108 • Portland Oregon 97205

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 5:03 AM AdventureUwe [email protected] wrote:

Dear fellow coworkers,

Do you have experience in running a coworking space in the size of around 700 m² = 7535 ft² ?

I am interested in real numbers and experience of running such a space with that size.

• How long do you run the space and what is your function?
  • How many people can fit in a coworking space of roughly an area of 7535 ft²?

and can you divide numbers in following groups: Number of singe members: AND Number of teams:

• From your clients, what is the average team-size (e.g. a group of members, startup, space users) and how much space do they get in m² or ft² ?
  • How big is the team to run and manage the space and what are their functions?
  • When did you hit the ROI?

It really means a lot to me to get an idea of a space of that size!

Thanks,

Uwe

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.