Do you accept members having the same business activity?

I own a small coworking space and have members asking me not to accept other members in the same activity because they had issues in the past with other small coworking places like mine with competitors listening to phone calls and even with a phone boot it will not resolve as they need to move rather than talk in front of their computer. Some even received clients that competitors hangs a flyer at exit or tried to contact them with a better offer…

Those members are long time members and want to stay as long as possible, so for the ethics, I’ve decided to not accept members in the exact same activity.

What do you think and what can I do? Have you got in the same situations?

Hey Steve,
Coworking is all about diversity and inclusiveness. A varied set of people make your community much more vibrant. However, I do understand that it always does not make business sense to stick to curating your potential leads. At CLOwork, a chain of coworking spaces that I run in India**,** such instances are rare, but if it does come to the notice of our community manager (For eg: Poaching talent, overhearing competition’s calls, etc.), we ask people to avoid the same and such house rules are usually put up in the onboarding kit. The best way to address this problem is to plan the way you allocate your space to similar industry players. Maybe you could put up a team who requires confidentiality and privacy in a closed cabin and so on. Hope this addresses your question. You can always feel free to reach out me for any other queries!

Cheers
Raghu

···

On Monday, 23 April 2018 00:12:45 UTC+5:30, steve suard wrote:

I own a small coworking space and have members asking me not to accept other members in the same activity because they had issues in the past with other small coworking places like mine with competitors listening to phone calls and even with a phone boot it will not resolve as they need to move rather than talk in front of their computer. Some even received clients that competitors hangs a flyer at exit or tried to contact them with a better offer…

Those members are long time members and want to stay as long as possible, so for the ethics, I’ve decided to not accept members in the exact same activity.

What do you think and what can I do? Have you got in the same situations?