Do we need to be friends with all of our coworkers?

Hey Group,

We have just started our community of coworkers and we get great energy from all of them working here. My end endeavor is that people collaborate and build lasting friendships too from here.

It seems that coworkers are usually shy and in the end its me and myself who has to strike a conversation with everyone of them separately and then I try to wiggle some other coworker to jump in too. I am an introvert and talking up with a new person isn’t really my thing!! I always ask myself, do I need to start a conversation everytime to make the coworkers talk to each other? Why can’t they just ‘friendly’ it up themselves? Do I need to be the middle guy introducing them to each other everytime? What can I do to make the place more valuable as a community so that there are actual collaborative work happening from our space?

Vaibhav N

NQube Inc.

New Delhi, India

You can’t force it. People will gravitate towards each other. The community will develop it’s own personality and norms. Forcing the issue will push members away. Some people may just be happy workings with their headphones on. The problem with forcing it will also give the appearance of favoritism…

My partner and I already now many of our members from years of community involvement and some we are already friends with. We are keenly aware of this and keeping it in check

But the community as a whole will dictate things.

···

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 1:17:03 PM UTC-7, Vaibhav N wrote:

Hey Group,

We have just started our community of coworkers and we get great energy from all of them working here. My end endeavor is that people collaborate and build lasting friendships too from here.

It seems that coworkers are usually shy and in the end its me and myself who has to strike a conversation with everyone of them separately and then I try to wiggle some other coworker to jump in too. I am an introvert and talking up with a new person isn’t really my thing!! I always ask myself, do I need to start a conversation everytime to make the coworkers talk to each other? Why can’t they just ‘friendly’ it up themselves? Do I need to be the middle guy introducing them to each other everytime? What can I do to make the place more valuable as a community so that there are actual collaborative work happening from our space?

Vaibhav N

NQube Inc.

New Delhi, India

Why do people most value your place and community? How often do they want the things they say they value?

You are the leader with the rudder steering the ship; express your wants and whys. However it is fine if what you want (your why) is different from what all or most members want to pay for (their why).

When it varies and when it is similar, then there is a chance for collaboration!

Vision is never fully reached.

Mission is how you get there. What is your community mission statement?

Hey Alex,

That’s some great insight. We have a mission statement which is endorsing a new way of working. However, we don’t have a community mission statement.

I hope having a community mission statement doesn’t sound like someone is joining a frat house? and do you share yours openly or only on few areas? We have a message wall that can be seen from all corners of the space. Would it make sense to just put a vision & mission statement there?

Cheers,

Vaibhav N

NQube Inc.

New Delhi

···

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 2:26:22 PM UTC+5:30, Alex Linsker wrote:

Why do people most value your place and community? How often do they want the things they say they value?
You are the leader with the rudder steering the ship; express your wants and whys. However it is fine if what you want (your why) is different from what all or most members want to pay for (their why).

When it varies and when it is similar, then there is a chance for collaboration!

Vision is never fully reached.

Mission is how you get there. What is your community mission statement?