DIY Phone Booth

I agree but it also costs me over $5000 to build two phone booths that have just as good of soundproofing and that’s when I already had half of the walls built by including the room walls. It did take about 3 weeks for the contractors to finally complete the job and I can’t move them. This is where the phone booths have a big advantage. Plus, they do look cooler.

Phone booths don’t need to be sound-proof but distraction resistant. None of our phone rooms are sound proof but they do dampen the sound enough to make it comfortable for people to work next to them. I think that’s the general idea and they do work based on that measure.

That being said, I do wish they were sound proof.

Hi all. I recently stumbled upon this ‘affordable’ option for I was told ~$3k, with Lego-like easy assembly.
https://emagispace.com/solutions/privacy-pods/

JEROME CHANG

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

WEST: Santa Monica | 1450 2nd St (@Broadway)

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)

EAST: Downtown | 529 S. Broadway, Ste 4000 (@Pershing Square)

NORTH: Pasadena | 680 E. Colorado, Ste 180 (b/w Lake and Los Robles)

···

On Dec 7, 2017, at 8:08 AM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

I agree but it also costs me over $5000 to build two phone booths that have just as good of soundproofing and that’s when I already had half of the walls built by including the room walls. It did take about 3 weeks for the contractors to finally complete the job and I can’t move them. This is where the phone booths have a big advantage. Plus, they do look cooler.

Phone booths don’t need to be sound-proof but distraction resistant. None of our phone rooms are sound proof but they do dampen the sound enough to make it comfortable for people to work next to them. I think that’s the general idea and they do work based on that measure.

That being said, I do wish they were sound proof.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

I talked to a rep and they told me the phone booth kit costs around $7,000.

The good thing about EmagiSpace is that you could repurpose the walls and materials if you wanted to switch it up in the future.

Jerome, as an architect, I would love hear your thoughts about Emagispace. This could probably be a new thread. For example, if I was doing a new build out in an open space would this be a good option? Would it lower my risk of sprinkler regulation? Since there is a construction worker shortage, do you think is a good viable option?

I’m actively seeking to deploy eMagispace across a few projects right now.

What you have to recognize in the world of construction is that eMagispace’s sweet spot is partial height walls, whether that’s 5’ for cubicles or 20’ for warehouse spaces and for production sets. Partial height walls do not trigger a spate of building codes.

Once you build full-height walls and enclose the envelope by attaching this wall to the ceiling, is where I’m testing how all of this would work:

how does HVAC service each room?

how do sprinklers service each room? Or do they even need to?

how does egress, ADA, etc. get affected?

The dilemma becomes more critical for licensed architects:

would an architect be bound to submit to a building department for a permit if a product like eMagispace may not require getting a permit…but the architect may realize that the use of eMagispace may cause issues like egress, ADA, etc. to become critical?

would a regular person (typical coworkiing owners) who builds with eMagispace without a building permit be ethically concerned if he doesn’t know these critical issues might have come up in the first place?

So the safe thing is to get a building permit. But I anticipate that the building department will get more confused at the product and its impact than the effort to do the [potentially] right thing.

Stand by as I navigate this process. :slight_smile:

The answer will likely be some hybrid: selective application of the eMagispace product and selective submittal thru the building dept.

JEROME CHANG

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

chat w/ us: http://www.BLANKSPACES.com/chat

WEST: Santa Monica | 1450 2nd St (@Broadway)

CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)

EAST: Downtown | 529 S. Broadway, Ste 4000 (@Pershing Square)

NORTH: Pasadena | 680 E. Colorado, Ste 180 (b/w Lake and Los Robles)

···

On Dec 15, 2017, at 9:27 AM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking [email protected] wrote:

The good thing about EmagiSpace is that you could repurpose the walls and materials if you wanted to switch it up in the future.

Jerome, as an architect, I would love hear your thoughts about Emagispace. This could probably be a new thread. For example, if I was doing a new build out in an open space would this be a good option? Would it lower my risk of sprinkler regulation? Since there is a construction worker shortage, do you think is a good viable option?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Hello,

I am.alos looking for a DIY solution for a office booth/pod. I also have been considering going the alibaba route but I think I can build one myself for much less. I did come accross this company www.phonebooths.com that is offering a single booth for less than $3000 including free shipping. I emailed them asking if they make a double occupancy configuration and they stated they do not. Id like to have at least one singe and one double unit. Of anyone comes across any DIY plans please share.

Marc

···

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 12:27:17 PM UTC-5, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

Hello,

I have an eclectic space. A mix of modern and retro furnishings. I’m planning to repurpose some doors as walls and use an old wooden school desk or a gossip bench to go inside.

Wendy

···

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:45 PM
To: Coworking
Subject: Re: [Coworking] DIY Phone Booth

Hello,

I am.alos looking for a DIY solution for a office booth/pod. I also have been considering going the alibaba route but I think I can build one myself for much less. I did come accross this company www.phonebooths.com that is offering a single booth for less than $3000 including free shipping. I emailed them asking if they make a double occupancy configuration and they stated they do not. Id like to have at least one singe and one double unit. Of anyone comes across any DIY plans please share.

Marc

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 12:27:17 PM UTC-5, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know of where to purchase a contemporary phone booth sign for the coworking phone station?

thanks

···

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 12:53:26 PM UTC-7, Jensen Yancey wrote:

Hey everyone,

We have an open plan coworking office, and the number one thing I get asked for (and also the number one reason prospective members don’t join) is for a place to take calls. We have a conference room, but it’s on the other side of the building and people don’t really like to walk all the way over. What we do have is a 75 sq ft storage area that we dont use. It’s not completely walled off (it has a door but no ceiling so it just opens up into the coworking area) and I’ve been wondering if there’s a good DIY way to build a little phone booth in it so that people can take calls without the rest of the office hearing them. Has anyone done a project like that?

I’m building a stand alone booth. It would qualify as furniture so you don’t have to worry about code. It will bolt together (actually lag screws). I expect the entire cost to be around $500 - $600.

I’ll have it done by the end of the month and will toss up pictures and some blueprints when we’ve got it working and tested.

Brad

···

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Wangmo Dixey [email protected] wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know of where to purchase a contemporary phone booth sign for the coworking phone station?

thanks

Hey everyone,

We have an open plan coworking office, and the number one thing I get asked for (and also the number one reason prospective members don’t join) is for a place to take calls. We have a conference room, but it’s on the other side of the building and people don’t really like to walk all the way over. What we do have is a 75 sq ft storage area that we dont use. It’s not completely walled off (it has a door but no ceiling so it just opens up into the coworking area) and I’ve been wondering if there’s a good DIY way to build a little phone booth in it so that people can take calls without the rest of the office hearing them. Has anyone done a project like that?

Brad Attig
CEO at Foundry Collective
Phone 541.812.1911
Email [email protected]
Website www.corvallisfoundry.com

Learn about the Foundry Startup Resource Fair Sept 13th 4 - 7 PM Corvallis Odd Fellows

Brad,

Are you planning on selling these? I may have some interest if so.

···

Brad Attig
Phone 541.812.1911
Email [email protected]

Learn about the Foundry Startup Resource Fair Sept 13th 4 - 7 PM Corvallis Odd Fellows

Hi

thanks

Hey everyone,

Ryan Rodenbeck

Broker/President
Spyglass Realty and Investments
C:512.965.1480

[email protected]
*2011 - 2018 Platinum Top 50 Realtor *

Centurian Platinum Top 50 Winner

http://spyglassrealty.com

Information on Brokerage Services

Texas law requires all real estate licensees to give the following information about brokerage services:

www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf

Dear Brad

What about a sign above the door and any suggestions for noise cancellation for the phone booth?

Thanks in advance

···

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Brad Attig [email protected] wrote:

I’m building a stand alone booth. It would qualify as furniture so you don’t have to worry about code. It will bolt together (actually lag screws). I expect the entire cost to be around $500 - $600.

I’ll have it done by the end of the month and will toss up pictures and some blueprints when we’ve got it working and tested.

Brad

Wangmo Dixey
Executive Director

www.lbdfi.org

Executive Director,

Dharma College

www. dharma-college.com

2222 Harold Way, Berkeley CA 94704

Mob No. +510 847 2966

President,

International Buddhist Association of America

www.ibaa.org

Brad Attig
Phone 541.812.1911
Email [email protected]

Hi

thanks

Hey everyone,

No, shipping would be too much. We’re just looking for an affordable way to make a phone booth for coworking locations on a shoe string.

···

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Ryan Rodenbeck [email protected] wrote:

Brad,

Are you planning on selling these? I may have some interest if so.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 1:50 PM Brad Attig [email protected] wrote:

Brad

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/7KH14yX1SWI/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Ryan Rodenbeck

Broker/President
Spyglass Realty and Investments
C:512.965.1480

[email protected]
*2011 - 2018 Platinum Top 50 Realtor *

Centurian Platinum Top 50 Winner

http://spyglassrealty.com

Information on Brokerage Services

Texas law requires all real estate licensees to give the following information about brokerage services:

Contracts | TREC

Brad Attig
Phone 541.812.1911
Email [email protected]

Brad Attig
Phone 541.812.1911
Email [email protected]

Hi

thanks

Hey everyone,

Etsy is always good for funky signs.

···

Hi

thanks

Hey everyone,

Brad Attig
Phone 541.812.1911
Email [email protected]

Brad,

You could sell the designs to a lot of us as well if you don’t want to ship them.

Anyone in the UK here? You can get an office phone booth for £1,400 on meavo.com

···

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 18:52:34 UTC+1, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

Brad,

You could sell the designs to a lot of us as well if you don’t want to ship them.

I’ve seen different phone booth options on alibaba.

···

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018, 2:24 PM Thomas Anselmino <[email protected] wrote:

Anyone in the UK here? You can get an office phone booth for £1,400 on meavo.com

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 18:52:34 UTC+1, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking wrote:

Brad,

Hello,

I’ve tested Work With Island booth in London workwithislanddotcom very efficient and well designed.
I’ve asked but they only ship in the EU atm.

I don’t get the price point. Nowadays with CNC machines on site in many woodshops it should be possible to produce them for not more than 500 to 600€. Offering them for 1990€ will still generate a decent yield.

Am I missing something here? Has someone done the math or even better tried to construct and build them by himself and can explain why phone booth are so expensive?

• Production is not at scale
  • acoustic materials are expensive
  • transport costs as well since glass is involved most of the times

…it’s a dilemma.

I would add to @NinaSimone’s reasons that even when those factors aren’t the case, a lot of commercial office equipment is expensive simply because it can be.

The primary customer for these phone booths isn’t small & independent businesses, it’s large corporations and CRE customers who are used to amortizing these expenses across 10 years or more. Stuff does tend to be built higher quality to last those 10 years, but it’s harder for a small business to justify the upfront cost.

You can use that 10 year amortization to our advantage, though: one of the easiest way to get high end office furniture and equipment is to call up local commercial real estate firms and find out if there are any spaces that are ending their lease soon, as they will often be liquidating their equipment for pennies on the dollar.

You can also find businesses that are bringing their people back to their offices and, because they’re trying to entice people back, are upgrading their equipment to try to incentivize their people. This is true with high end chairs, lounge furniture, desks, electronics like monitors, and more.

In a lot of cases, their otherwise perfectly good equipment will end up in the trash instead of sold, it’s just on you to make some emails/phone calls!

You will likely be responsible for getting it out of their office and moving it into your space, but it can be worth it!

Hi Alex

“because it can be” is exactly my assumption.

Luckily we have a semi-professional wood workshop in our basement as we are undergoing a full scale renovation of our soon-to-become-a-great-coworking-space location.

Given that we need at least 5 phone booth and me not willing to spend 20.000 Euros on that we will give DIY a try.

I will report on the results :smile:

1 Like