Determining Ideal Capacity for Therapy-Focused Co-Working Space

Hello everyone,

I’ve read a few posts on capacity in these forums and still have this question. Hope you can advise because this has become a sticking point for me. I’m stuck, haha.

I’m seeking advice on how to determine the ideal capacity for my co-working space, which caters specifically to therapists. Our space includes 10 private offices, 10 telehealth offices, and an open area. Unlike many co-working spaces, none of our offices are dedicated; instead, they are available on an hourly basis.

Our member base is capped at 30 therapists, who typically work 20-25 hours per week in therapy sessions, spread over 3-4 days. Our operational hours are from 8 am to 8 pm, Monday through Sunday.

Our Membership Levels:
We offer three membership levels with different access hours:

1. Basic Membership: (Telehealth Heavy, 8 hours per week)

• 6 hours per week in telehealth rooms
    • 2 hours per week in private rooms
  2. Mid-Level Membership: 16 office Hours per week

• 8 hours per week in private rooms
    • 8 hours per week in telehealth rooms
  3. Upper-Level Membership: (Full-time equivalent in therapy world) 24 office Hours per week

• 16 hours per week in private rooms
    • 8 hours per week in telehealth rooms

Current Capacity Assessment:
Here’s how I’ve been assessing capacity so far:

1. Total Available Hours Calculation:

• Private Offices: 10 private offices available 12 hours per day for 7 days a week, totaling 10 rooms X 12 hours a day in each X 7 days/week = 840 hours per week.
    • Telehealth Offices: 10 telehealth offices available 12 hours per day for 7 days a week, totaling 10 x 12 x 7 = 840 ) hours per week.
    • Total Weekly Available Hours: Combining both, we have 1680 hours per week.
  2. Demand Calculation Based on more people in the upper tier of membership, meaning more hours spent on-site

• Top Tier Members: 25 members at 16 hours per week in private rooms and 8 hours per week in telehealth rooms, totaling ( 25 \times 16 = 400 ) hours per week in private rooms and ( 25 \times 8 = 200 ) hours per week in telehealth rooms.
    • Mid Tier Members: 5 members at 8 hours per week in private rooms and 8 hours per week in telehealth rooms, totaling ( 5 \times 8 = 40 ) hours per week in private rooms and ( 5 \times 8 = 40 ) hours per week in telehealth rooms.
    • Total Demand: 440 hours per week for private rooms, 240 hours per week for telehealth rooms, totaling ( 680 ) hours per week.

Analysis:

• With 1680 available hours per week and a maximum demand of 680 hours per week, our current setup should comfortably accommodate our 30 members, even during peak times.
    My Questions to You:
  1. Is This Calculation Sufficient?

• Am I missing any key factors or using an incorrect approach to estimate capacity?
  2. Peak Times and Utilization:

• How should I account for peak usage times and ensure fair distribution of available hours?
  3. Booking Systems:

• What booking systems or strategies would you recommend to manage the hourly reservations effectively?
  4. Member Feedback:

• How often should I collect feedback from members, and what specific questions should I ask to better understand their needs and adjust our offerings?

I appreciate any insights or experiences you can share to help optimize our space’s capacity and ensure it meets our members’ needs efficiently.

Thanks in advance!

Justin J.

Hey Justin,
Therapist focused coworking communities aren’t my specialty, but I can point you to the pro on this: Penny Mechley-Porter of Thrive Therapy Space. I recommend reaching out to her as a peer who might be able to offer some insight.

Hey Justin!

Is this spot brand new/opening soon, or do you already have active members on these plans? I’m trying to figure out how much of this is hypothetical vs adapting/optimizing an existing operation?

Your question about booking systems makes me think maybe you haven’t opened yet, but you also mention member feedback in a tense that makes me think maybe your model is based on existing usage.

Knowing which it is will help a lot for giving useful feedback on your model!

Thanks, Sean. I appreciate the contact.

Hi Alex, thanks for your response. This is hypothetical at this point. Trying to open by the end of the year. I can see how my post starting veering into related but different issues from “ideal capacity.” What I’m most trying to understand right now is the capacity issue. How I can effectively ensure that 30 members (ish) have access to what they need when they need it. I feel like one day I understand it and then the next it seems to slip away and become complicated. I’m meeting with a rep from OfficeRnD and hoping when I begin exploring the platform I’ll be able to explore capacity a bit more, but I’m not sure. Any ideas?

Got it!

I’ve built a lot of models, and I have two main rules of thumb:

1. I look for the simplest version that we can observe and learn actual usage from.
  2. I follow the elijah’s cup principle (I made that up, will explain)

For simplifying your model, the first thing I’d do is replace all of the hourly estimates with half day minimums (or something similar). This change alone drastically shrinks the number of permutations you have to account for.

While some might argue that it’s less flexible, there is such a thing as too flexible. :wink:

Also: people WILL overstay their bookings. Not because they intend to, but because they lose track of time, etc etc. Dealing with 8+ potential overstays per day is a LOT harder than dealing with 1. For this alone, I’d do anything to avoid hourly.

Also, this doesn’t need to be a permanent decision. Once you get a sense of ACTUAL utilization patterns, it’s a lot easier to introduce more granular booking or other things that let you adapt. (And anyone who has done this before will tell you that it’s harder to take flexibility away than give it in the first place.)

The Elijah’s Cup Principal is borrowed from a tradition in the Jewish passover seder where an extra cup of wine is poured and left untouched for an unknown guest to join the meal.

As a kid, I always thought this tradition was silly until one day a family friend showed up around dinner time not knowing it was Passover, and when he started to apologize for interrupting, we told him that we actually had a whole place setting (complete with a full glass of wine) waiting for him.

Fast forward many years to when I started Indy Hall, I was less interested in maximizing square footage and instead making sure that if someone came unexpectedly, we’d always have a place for them.

As a rule of thumb, we accomplished this by monitoring our utilization (separately from our active membership) for how often we would get “close” to being 100% full. The tolerance here has varied as our size and resources have, but the principle hasn’t changed.

When we touched or crossed that threshold once, we’d note it.
When we touched or crossed that threshold again, we’d start looking for patterns.

And the third time we touched or crossed that threshold, we’d temporarily close signups at our memberships that were associated with the highest utilization.

We’d still let folks sign up at lower levels, and put them on a waiting list for when we had availability at the higher utilization levels again.

Basically (and I think you’re already heading in this direction): rather than sweat a perfect model, build in enough slack to make sure your imperfect model has room to be wrong, and to flex with the seasons, individual members’ unique patterns, etc. And always always always have a spot for your Elijah.

As far as booking systems go, most of them are…fine.

As long as it handles payments automatically (so you aren’t manually chasing invoices) and has a flexible credit system of some kind, everything else is gravy.

The software isn’t nearly as important as your culture of people actually using it to book time, and more importantly, make the space available for the next person on time like I mentioned above.

And as far as member feedback, this is an always and forever thing. You are still responsible for making the decisions, but the thing I’d be more focused on than “feedback” is earning trust by listening, reflecting back, and getting members involved.

And remember: this process starts BEFORE you open, not after! If you’re not already talking to prospective members, and working to make opportunities to build connections and relationships before your doors open, you’re missing out on the most critical period of communication.

This period defines the culture of your space, which in a business where a large % of the time folks are going to be in private spaces, is even more important.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Ten years in and I’m still learning things from you, Alex. Good post.

1 Like

thanks! nice to know I’ve still got it :sweat_smile: