Creative Ideas for Decorating a Large Wall

Hey All, I’d love some brainstorming assistance.

We just added a large room to our existing space. The room has a huge wall. It’s about 12 ft tall by 40 ft long. The room itself does not have a lot of windows. I’m looking for creative ideas, to utilize the wall and create something cool. Something that will make the space a desirable area for people to hang out in. What would you do with the space?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vertical gardens are always pretty cool. And they warm up the space. Just an idea!

Doug Maschoff

CEO

Meshwork

www.meshworkapp.com

···

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 2:53:37 PM UTC-7, Tyler Byrd wrote:

We just added a large room to our existing space. The room has a huge wall. It’s about 12 ft tall by 40 ft long. The room itself does not have a lot of windows. I’m looking for creative ideas, to utilize the wall and create something cool. Something that will make the space a desirable area for people to hang out in. What would you do with the space?

A friend bought a bunch of blank canvases to hang on an empty wall… She gave them out to members and got them to print something meaningful for them… logos words anything really - nice communal project.

Cheers,

Jim

···

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 8:53:37 AM UTC+11, Tyler Byrd wrote:

I’d always want to hang out in a space I can be creative in. Why not make the entire wall a whiteboard? Did you have a look at ideapaint.com?

···

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 4:53:37 PM UTC-5, Tyler Byrd wrote:

Put the coffee pot in that room :wink:

···

Nice, large walls are just amazing, you can do so much with them!

In my current coworking space, we have one big wall that we painted in blackboard paint, and we are using soapstone chalk (which is way cleaner than normal chalk, as it doesn’t leave dust on your fingers or clothes).

In my previous coworking space, we had a cork wall (which is not that expensive to install), and we ended up sticking so many pictures, news clips, artworks, sticky notes, announcements, and everything else you can think of. It added so much life to the space and gave it a sense of community.

I’ve seen some grass walls that are also used to stick polaroid pictures of the space if you’re willing to get a polaroid and add the cards expenses to your monthly purchases :slight_smile: It could be quite expensive.

Lastly, I’ve seen this once but I’m not sure where. the wall had many hangers, and each of them had a card with one word or adjective on it (optimism, luck, happiness, etc.) members then took one card whenever they felt like they needed it, and hung it on their desk for the day. This builds very meaningful conversations between members, and brings the community together.

Hope this helps! let us know what you end up doing :slight_smile:

Aya,

···

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 1:53:37 AM UTC+4, Tyler Byrd wrote:

I’d strongly recommend against IdeaPaint - unless you’re actively erasing it shortly after using, it’ll “ghost” forever unless you paint over it again. The stuff is miserable (I really wish it wasn’t). Anything that requires lots of upkeep is going to make a large wall turn into a ton of work.

Art itself won’t make the space inviting. People doing stuff in there together, does.

Some awesome folks visited us from Boston last week and shared some of their favorite ideas, including one that doesn’t require people in your community to be artistic for them to contribute, AND it’s easy to change/evolve/take down over time:

We have an #overheardatindyhall channel in slack where people post funny, quirky “out of context” lines from conversations. The only rule is *no attribution allowed. *

Periodically, we graduate them from the channel into this real world wall. Like Sarah says in the post, “This wall of post-it notes made the more colorful interactions among members visible, and a served as a primer on the space’s culture for newcomers and visitors like us.” Said another way, try adjusting the goal from “make it look interesting” towards “make it something that people can contribute to.”

As per usual in our playbook, this idea came from the community. The best ideas always do, but not just because they’re good ideas but because people already want to contribute to them (vs trying to convince them).

So I’d turn to your community and say “what can we do together to make this wall show who we are, both to new people and to remind ourselves?”

And when you do - post progress photos here so we can see :slight_smile:

-Alex

···

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.

Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org

Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

My Audiobook: https://theindyhallway.com/ten

Loving the post Alex- we’ve just redone our diner area (and increased the seating from 3 to 13 in the process- you can’t see it all in the pic I’ve attached) and we’ve got a lovely grey back wall to do something with. We’re still thinking some kind of diagrammatic thing around all the kit (TV, hot water heater, coffee machines etc), but who knows- I’m going to have a good think in another direction about what to discuss with the members, they may love something a bit more dynamic

···

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 21:53:37 UTC, Tyler Byrd wrote:

Tom: nice :slight_smile:

Do you have any photos from successful community gatherings? Get them printed and framed or mounted and then let members decide how to lay them out on that back wall.

Photos of people hanging out are a great way to inspire people to hang out more!

-Alex

···

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Tom Lewis [email protected] wrote:

Loving the post Alex- we’ve just redone our diner area (and increased the seating from 3 to 13 in the process- you can’t see it all in the pic I’ve attached) and we’ve got a lovely grey back wall to do something with. We’re still thinking some kind of diagrammatic thing around all the kit (TV, hot water heater, coffee machines etc), but who knows- I’m going to have a good think in another direction about what to discuss with the members, they may love something a bit more dynamic

On Wednesday, 9 November 2016 21:53:37 UTC, Tyler Byrd wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Jim this is an awesome idea. Any idea how they printed on the canvases?

···

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 2:32:14 PM UTC-8, Jim Groves wrote:

A friend bought a bunch of blank canvases to hang on an empty wall… She gave them out to members and got them to print something meaningful for them… logos words anything really - nice communal project.

Cheers,

Jim

rubberdesk.com

Hey Aya,

Thank you, I really enjoyed these. The Polaroid would be cool, but I could definitely see that getting pricey. I’m really curious about the cards and hangers. You wouldn’t by chance have a picture would you?

···

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 2:26:35 PM UTC-8, Aya Douba wrote:

Nice, large walls are just amazing, you can do so much with them!

In my current coworking space, we have one big wall that we painted in blackboard paint, and we are using soapstone chalk (which is way cleaner than normal chalk, as it doesn’t leave dust on your fingers or clothes).

In my previous coworking space, we had a cork wall (which is not that expensive to install), and we ended up sticking so many pictures, news clips, artworks, sticky notes, announcements, and everything else you can think of. It added so much life to the space and gave it a sense of community.

I’ve seen some grass walls that are also used to stick polaroid pictures of the space if you’re willing to get a polaroid and add the cards expenses to your monthly purchases :slight_smile: It could be quite expensive.

Lastly, I’ve seen this once but I’m not sure where. the wall had many hangers, and each of them had a card with one word or adjective on it (optimism, luck, happiness, etc.) members then took one card whenever they felt like they needed it, and hung it on their desk for the day. This builds very meaningful conversations between members, and brings the community together.

Hope this helps! let us know what you end up doing :slight_smile:

Aya,

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 1:53:37 AM UTC+4, Tyler Byrd wrote:

Hey Tyler,

The folks there mainly stuck printouts and cards onto the canvas - but I think for $8 you can get canvas prints from photobox.com… get the group to send in their artwork - then send a batch to the printers. 10 pieces for under $100 - I imagine you could curate it / have a theme every couple of months and keep it fresh.

Cheers

Jim

Jim this is an awesome idea. Any idea how they printed on the canvases?

···

On 16 Nov. 2016, at 2:02 pm, Tyler Byrd [email protected] wrote:

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 2:32:14 PM UTC-8, Jim Groves wrote:

Cheers,

Jim

rubberdesk.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/AXCfQ9FO1Ag/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Alex I have the feeling you just saved me a ton of money. I was actually looking at their site to purchase the paint.

I agree with your philosophy on people vs decor. However we need the decor inviting enough that we can seed that section of the space with people. Our bigger challenge is actually the other half of our space. It’s has huge windows all the way around that look out over Mt. Baker and the Ocean. When people are given the choice they want to set in that area versus the area we have with the wall and no views. We basically competing against ourselves.

···

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 11:12:54 AM UTC-8, Alex Hillman wrote:

I’d strongly recommend against IdeaPaint - unless you’re actively erasing it shortly after using, it’ll “ghost” forever unless you paint over it again. The stuff is miserable (I really wish it wasn’t). Anything that requires lots of upkeep is going to make a large wall turn into a ton of work.

Art itself won’t make the space inviting. People doing stuff in there together, does.

Some awesome folks visited us from Boston last week and shared some of their favorite ideas, including one that doesn’t require people in your community to be artistic for them to contribute, AND it’s easy to change/evolve/take down over time:

We have an #overheardatindyhall channel in slack where people post funny, quirky “out of context” lines from conversations. The only rule is *no attribution allowed. *

Periodically, we graduate them from the channel into this real world wall. Like Sarah says in the post, “This wall of post-it notes made the more colorful interactions among members visible, and a served as a primer on the space’s culture for newcomers and visitors like us.” Said another way, try adjusting the goal from “make it look interesting” towards “make it something that people can contribute to.”

As per usual in our playbook, this idea came from the community. The best ideas always do, but not just because they’re good ideas but because people already want to contribute to them (vs trying to convince them).

So I’d turn to your community and say “what can we do together to make this wall show who we are, both to new people and to remind ourselves?”

And when you do - post progress photos here so we can see :slight_smile:

-Alex

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Angel Kwiatkowski [email protected] wrote:

What’s your budget for it? We didn’t have a whole lot of money set aside for art, so I did a few projects that you can see on our website that were really cheap:

Createscape | Coworking in Austin, TX!

I’m a big fan of geometric design and have no ability to draw our paint, so I just used a ton of painters tape for the mural (it was pretty easy, but took foreeeeever). The long rope light took me less than an hour to do, was about $40 and gets a ton of compliments.

···

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 3:53:37 PM UTC-6, Tyler Byrd wrote:

Jensen I love the rope light. I think we’re going to give that a shot on another wall. I want to see if I can do it in the shape of a lightbulb with the light in the center. Thanks for the sweet idea.

For the big wall, I think we are going to put a world map up. Something that is topographic and made from laser extraction of foam. Then we’re looking at using yarn and pins to showcase locations that our members have helped via donations such as Kiva.

···

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Jensen Yancey [email protected] wrote:

What’s your budget for it? We didn’t have a whole lot of money set aside for art, so I did a few projects that you can see on our website that were really cheap:

http://createscapework.co/#!

I’m a big fan of geometric design and have no ability to draw our paint, so I just used a ton of painters tape for the mural (it was pretty easy, but took foreeeeever). The long rope light took me less than an hour to do, was about $40 and gets a ton of compliments.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Coworking” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/AXCfQ9FO1Ag/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to [email protected].

Tyler Byrd | Red Rokk | CEO
**t:******360.747.7401 | m: 360.920.2462
e: [email protected] | w: www.redrokk.com

For the big wall, I think we are going to put a world map up. Something that is topographic and made from laser extraction of foam. **Then we’re looking at using yarn and pins to showcase locations that our members have helped via donations such as Kiva. **

This is SUCH a great ever-evolving conversation starter. Brilliant!

-Alex

···

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Tyler Byrd [email protected] wrote:

Jensen I love the rope light. I think we’re going to give that a shot on another wall. I want to see if I can do it in the shape of a lightbulb with the light in the center. Thanks for the sweet idea.

For the big wall, I think we are going to put a world map up. Something that is topographic and made from laser extraction of foam. Then we’re looking at using yarn and pins to showcase locations that our members have helped via donations such as Kiva.

Tyler Byrd | Red Rokk | CEO
**t:******360.747.7401 | m: 360.920.2462
e: [email protected] | w: www.redrokk.com

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Jensen Yancey [email protected] wrote:

http://createscapework.co/#!